2000 mustang gt vs 2000 camaro ss

GT00STANG17

Established Member
Yeah the ls1 are quick but most of them in my town i hang right beside them and the sn95 cobra's i can hang right beside them too i love running them when i get the chance too.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
Nice races....

400 CRANK would be about 320-325rwhp on a dyno jet assuming a 18-20% power loss through an auto... Which is right around where a bolt-on f-body should make.

GT00STANG17

Established Member
thank u and thats what he said it was at but it wasn't a bolt on car tho i seen under the hood it doesn't even have a lid he said it had a cam only car no exhaust or anything but idk tho bc he wouldn't start the car up and let it idle so i could hear if it was cammed maybe this weekend i will get the chance to hear it

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
thank u and thats what he said it was at but it wasn't a bolt on car tho i seen under the hood it doesn't even have a lid he said it had a cam only car no exhaust or anything but idk tho bc he wouldn't start the car up and let it idle so i could hear if it was cammed maybe this weekend i will get the chance to hear it

"Cam only" is a pretty loose term in the F-Body world. People have different definitions.. My friend has a "Cam only" Z28 in the 10's.. And you sure as hell arent getting there with just a cam alone. "Cam only" setups can have FULL bolt-ons. Meaning headers, exhaust, suspension mods, lid/CAI, TB, intake, tune, tires, etc.

I can almost guatantee you he did NOT have a aftermarket cam in there from the outcome of your race, even if he was a bad driver. Thats what a stock F-body will do. Bolt-on F-body's are a good race with stock 03/04 cobra's. Cammed/bolt-on LS1's can take down pullied cobra's, which should be low 12's and high 11's. The guy is full of shit. Ask what cam he has and what the specs on it are.

Last edited:

SSmokinn SS

Established Member

people dont cam these cars without atleast long tubes...

with a cam thats anything other then the Cheatr cam, having stock exhaust manifolds/intake would actually hurt

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
people dont cam these cars without atleast long tubes...

with a cam thats anything other then the Cheatr cam, having stock exhaust manifolds/intake would actually hurt

Exactly. I just reread his post and was going to post the same exact thing. It would be stupid NOT to swap out the exhaust system and put a new set of headers on it. Even shorties would be better than nothing!

SSmokinn SS

Established Member
"Cam only" is a pretty loose term in the F-Body world. People have different definitions.. My friend has a "Cam only" Z28 in the 10's.. And you sure as hell arent getting there with just a cam alone. "Cam only" setups can have FULL bolt-ons. Meaning headers, exhaust, suspension mods, lid/CAI, TB, intake, tune, tires, etc.

I can almost guatantee you he did NOT have a aftermarket cam in there from the outcome of your race, even if he was a bad driver. Thats what a stock F-body will do. Bolt-on F-body's are a good race with stock 03/04 cobra's. Cammed/bolt-on LS1's can take down pullied cobra's, which should be low 12's and high 11's. The guy is full of shit. Ask what cam he has and what the specs on it are.

What I highlighted in bold is exactly what I have and I tell people/refer to my car as a "Cam only" car...and this also includes the nitrous.

5 ltr. beater

....in spacers we trust
Established Member
bc he wouldn't start the car up and let it idle so i could hear if it was cammed maybe this weekend i will get the chance to hear it

depending on the LSA (lobe separation) you could have a cammed LS1 and not even hear it. you can get a pretty decent duration (like a 224/224) pick up a solid 22rwhp on top of what the exhaust would give you; get the cam with a 114 LSA and you would'nt hear any trace of a cam through the exhaust. :D
when the engine idles, it would sound healthy without the sputter of a cammed car.

Last edited:

GT00STANG17

Established Member
i will ask the guy to tell me specs on the cam when i see him again and if it really is a cammed car bc i know he wud of killed me if it was a cammed one thats y i was so suprised i held up that good when he told me that. my cars runs really strong but i wud still get killed by a cammed ls1

SSmokinn SS

Established Member
depending on the LSA (lobe separation) you could have a cammed LS1 and not even hear it. you can get a pretty decent duration (like a 224/224) pick up a solid 22rwhp on top of what the exhaust would give you; get the cam with a 114 LSA and you would'nt hear any trace of a cam through the exhaust. :D
when the engine idles, it would sound healthy without the sputter of a cammed car.

ehhh you can still pick up a decent lope on a 114 LSA....they are deadly quiet when they are 116-118lsa

Mine is 112lsa but I love the nasty idle a good cammed car has.

5 ltr. beater

....in spacers we trust
Established Member
ehhh you can still pick up a decent lope on a 114 LSA....they are deadly quiet when they are 116-118lsa

yea I think ur right. what's factory? 116?

I had a comp cams xtreme energy cam 228/230 with a 572 lift. my lsa was a 108. its sounded so mean at idle. sometimes it felt like it was gonna stall.

lilbuddy1587

Banned

yea I think ur right. what's factory? 116?

I had a comp cams xtreme energy cam 228/230 with a 572 lift. my lsa was a 108. its sounded so mean at idle. sometimes it felt like it was gonna stall.

Sorry fellas but LSA doesn't dictate the "lope". Overlap does. Overlap can be somewhat negated or increased via the LSA as it increases/decreases valve events a little but it has more to do with the intake/exhaust duration/valve events.

OP,

B4C is essentially a bare bones, light as shit, Z28 that was used for highway patrol. It has 3.23 gearing which helps the poor A4 quite a bit.

5 ltr. beater

....in spacers we trust
Established Member
Sorry fellas but LSA doesn't dictate the "lope". Overlap does. Overlap can be somewhat negated or increased via the LSA as it increases/decreases valve events a little but it has more to do with the intake/exhaust duration/valve events.

this is news to me. :??:

when purchasing a cam i was always asked by the sales rep at Summit what idle was i going for. something hardly noticeable (114+ LSA) or something wicked (112-108LSA)
never heard anyone mentioning overlap when selecting idle...unless Summit techs arent as good as i thought they were..

Last edited:

SSmokinn SS

Established Member
this is news to me. :??:

when purchasing a cam i was always asked by the sales rep at Summit what idle was i going for. something hardly noticeable (114+ LSA) or something wicked (112-108LSA)
never heard anyone mentioning overlap when selecting idle...unless Summit techs arent as good as i thought as they were..

+1

I Guess thunder racing and texas speed arent either.

Users who are viewing this thread