2000+ miles, 06 ZX6R, 2 Days

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
Well I am finally making the trip I've talked about a while ago, I'll be riding from Arizona to Indiana. This will be on an 06 Kawasaki ZX6R, I plan on going up to the Grand Canyon then through Utah and Colorado and finally ending in Indiana.
The ride will probably take me five or so days, but I plan on taking my time and enjoying the trip. I leave in 2 days, I have my route planned and everything necessary for the trip.

Wish me luck lol

:beer:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...ke-riders-long-distance-trips-1800-miles.html

Last edited:

rust0r

Established Member
I read this and thought it was a post ride report, ie: "I rode 2000+ miles in 2 days on a ZX6R"

I was going to ask how your wrists, back, ass and legs are feeling, assuming the numbness has subsided! LOL

What are you planning to ride each day? 400 miles or so ? If I ever made a trip like this 400 miles per day would be pushing my "enjoyable" limit. I've done 400 mile days, at the end of them I just go home and die on the couch, both in pain (hips/knees) and pure exhaustion.

What's the longest you've ridden thus far? Looks like an awesome ride though!

PS. Did you pick up a throttle rocker? I suggestion one in the previous thread, you'll probably want one come the last couple days.

I laughed when I read it as I suggested "take 5 days to a week to do it", lol

Earplugs as well

Edit: Just reading over the other thread, make sure your tire is in good shape, bring some chain wax/lube, cell phone charged, etc

Last edited:

About2bite

SVTNProgress
Established Member
Thanks!

Here is a list of what I have:
-Chase Harper Saddlebags
-Joe Rocket Tank Bag
-Throttlemeister Throttle lock (actual cruise control. Yay! lol)
-Earplugs
-Ipod
-Garmin GPS
-New tires (M3s)
-Tire plugger kit w/ CO2 canisters
-Xenon disc lock alarm
-Tarp to cover bike at night/rain/etc
-Bungie cords
-Tylenol and allergy medacine lol
-Screen cleaner and rag (for helmet windscreen)
-Tinted windscreen
-Coolant flush, new plugs, new oil
-Flashlight
-Tool kit

That about covers everything I have.

rust0r

Established Member
Looks like a decent list, if I randomly think of anything else I'll post it up

Bring a couple of zip lock bags, just in case it starts raining you can pull over and throw things like you Ipod & Cell phone in there.

If the GPS isn't water proof have something like that ready as well (maybe a clear plastic bag over top and tape it shut around the bottom for the entire ride just so you don't have to fumble with it in the event of rain.

Stretch each morning, it will cut down on stiffness/soreness at the end of each day.

ZIP TIES! In the event of a mishap, they are your best friends, go to the local hardware store, you can usually get like 50 - 100 for like $5 - 10. You can also daisy chain them together to make longer ones by putting the notched end of one zip into the locking end of another zip

Not sure if you ZX6 has adjustable rearsets from the factory, but I would check and if they do place them in lowest position possible to give some added leg comfort.

Most important, STAY HYDRATED AND FED. Once dehydration (even mild) sets in and you start to get a headache, and have trouble focusing it becomes dangerous pretty quick. I remember that feeling not too long ago, pulling over and going to get food+a drink, I could barely comprehend what the cashier was saying to me. You sweat and lose way more liquids than you think in the summer heat

tistan

Established Member
Take a gps with you and locate and mark chiropractors for the end of every riding day. I did 1000 miles in two days on my old zx6r. It was fun, but my back was pretty sore until I got it straightened out.

03_SVT_Freak

Stirring the pot :D
Established Member
dont do waht i do EVERYTIME i roadtrip. remember your phone charger. lol. i always forget it and have to buy one halfway thru the trip.

Common

Established Member
You are a brave man.

I recently met an old biker that went to Alaska and back to NJ with his Harley. He had meny detours, stops all of which totaled him raking up 11,000 miles in a little more than 20 days. Now, THAT is insane.

rust0r

Established Member
sounds like a fun trip,i might do this sometime since i put on a set of heli-bars on my 08 zx10r

Just wondering what the biggest relief was to your body after installing them? (ie were you like "ah my back isn't hunched so much" or "wow! that's a lot less weight put on my wrists", etc)

SVTullio

Typical Vette Driver
Established Member
That sounds awesome! I live in Vegas but drive out to OC from time to time. I wanna do the trip on a bike someday though...

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
That sounds like a blast!! Road trips are the best.

Me and my buddy are planning on cruising down to FL in his Trans Am in July. I cant wait.:banana:

Last edited:

72 fastback

Established Member
Just wondering what the biggest relief was to your body after installing them? (ie were you like "ah my back isn't hunched so much" or "wow! that's a lot less weight put on my wrists", etc)

wrists bigtime,bars are alot flatter angle also 1 3/4 taller. my back never bothered me.

Users who are viewing this thread