2000 Cobra R inner half shaft boots

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Anyone know where to find these things?

It's been discussed many times and nobody makes a replacement boot. I have had luck sending them to A-1 Driveshaft and they will replace the boots and repack the CV joint.

Good luck!

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

sdfrog177

Established Member
I read all the old posts on this subject and find it hard to believe we can put people on the moon but nobody makes a replacement rubber boot for this halfshaft. Even GKN has been no help. This was the response I received from them-

Sir,

Per your e- to GKN (below) we/they cannot find the paper trail to the boots that you refer to. I have a feeling that the boots on the wheel end was a crimp on design and that may also be the case on the diff side as well. If that is the case GKN could not sell these items outside of Ford Motor starting in 2003.

Please call if you care to discuss further.

Regards,

Fred Standfest

Universal Technical Services, LLC

590 Robin Lake Rd.

Duncan, SC 29334

P0 864-848-4744

To make things worse all the top driveshalf shops in my area cant seem to come up with a fix.

Thanks for the response.

Ty

Andy M

Established Member
It never ceases to amaze me at how Ford left the R owners holding the bag so to speak. First off, the dealers know little to nothing about these cars - not their fault though I suppose since it is not exactly a high production car in the main stream. However, I feel they have left the R owners to fend for themselves as far as obtaining parts and expertise.

I know they have bigger fish to fry, but come on! This is how you repay the loyalty of the Blue Oval faithful? :rolleyes:

sdfrog177

Established Member
This is getting better- New response from GKN Rep. My patience with Ford is really being tested right now. At least they stayed away from the bailout $.

Sir,

Yes the photos would help to confirm what I think about these boots -
but also as advised IF they are the boot I feel they will be, GKN IS NOT
ALLOWED to sell to anyone other than Ford Motor and this has been in
place since 2003.

Regards,

Fred Standfest

p) 864-848-4744

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
Swap over to a 03/04 Cobra Differential and Axles.... then you will not have such an issue finding the oddball '00R parts.

I have seen several sets of '00R axles on ebay in the past year. If I were driving a stock '00R much then I'd pick up an extra set of rear axles just for that "someday".

I take it the generic one size fits all replacement boots that the parts stores offer won't work on a '00R???

Andy M

Established Member
This is great advice! I swapped out my old R axles in favor of Terminator half shafts when I did the diff swap (from Trac-Loc to Torsen T2R) on the R when I owned it. They are stronger and as mentioned above, you can then at least find parts if you need them.

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
Brand New 04 axle shafts 200 each

ea92_1.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread