200 Ford Explorer Limited

Ford1288

Established Member
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/3664385908.html

Anyone have experience with these trucks? I drove it this morning, it rode very strong and nice. Has anyone towed with this truck before? How is the aftermarket for these? I haven't been able to find any decent info on this thing. I plan for it to share daily duties with my cobra, with the hope for the future being towing my foxbody and a boat. Any tips/tech/advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ford1288

Established Member
50 SVTP dollars goes to someone with unlimited carfax and gets me a report... Need to buy something soon because of my recent motorcycle accident!

VIN: 1FMDU65P5YZB38568

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
My wife drives a 2000 Eddie Bauer with the 5.0 in it and AWD. It is getting ready to turn 206,000 miles. Only work ever done under the hood is A/C compressor, radiator, hoses, tune up, heater control valve, and alternator. Very strong, very reliable. We bought it from the original owner in 2005 with 92,000 miles on it.

Ford1288

Established Member
Everyone is telling me how reliable these trucks are, I love it. I know it's overpriced, but I'm in California. He has offered me 4,100 out the door which I think is fair for both of us. I actually like the black wheels on there.

From what I can find, the short wheelbase of the truck hinders it from being a good tower, can anyone validate that for me?

coposrv

Established Member
My mom had one when I was in high school. 5.0 AWD. It lasted awhile and I beat on it a good bit.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
One of my friends has a 00 V8 XLT with 188k on the original engine/drivetrain.

How big of a boat are you looking to pull?

Explorer Towing Capacity? - Ford Explorer Ranger Enthusiasts "Serious Explorations"®

As far as aftermarket, what are you looking for? It has died down a bit with these trucks due to age, but plenty of things out there. Check out Explorer Express- Ford Ranger - Ford Explorer - Ford Mustang Performance . My brother had a 98 5.0 XLT with a Mac intake, torque monster headers, a mac 3" catback and a bama Xcal2 and it would walk any rice rocket around.

They are good trucks, and sounds great with an exhaust. Post up any questions, I've worked on countless explorers and used to have a 94

Ford1288

Established Member
One of my friends has a 00 V8 XLT with 188k on the original engine/drivetrain.

How big of a boat are you looking to pull?

Explorer Towing Capacity? - Ford Explorer Ranger Enthusiasts "Serious Explorations"®

As far as aftermarket, what are you looking for? It has died down a bit with these trucks due to age, but plenty of things out there. Check out Explorer Express- Ford Ranger - Ford Explorer - Ford Mustang Performance . My brother had a 98 5.0 XLT with a Mac intake, torque monster headers, a mac 3" catback and a bama Xcal2 and it would walk any rice rocket around.

They are good trucks, and sounds great with an exhaust. Post up any questions, I've worked on countless explorers and used to have a 94

Sweet dude, I appreciate the info. I made an account on that forum and asked a couple questions. For now I don't want to modify it much, but if I decide I don't need to tow anything ill give it a lift and tires. Truck already has a magnaflow exhaust, sounds great. Guess ill just do an intake on it. I want to research what's interchangeable with foxbody 5.0 stuff.

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
I had a 2000 with a 5L many moons ago. Great truck. Ex wife has it now and last I heard it was still going strong with a psycho behind the wheel. Besides having to remove half the cups and plates from the house out the back seat, it gave me no problems. Who does that anyhow...........

Last edited:

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Sweet dude, I appreciate the info. I made an account on that forum and asked a couple questions. For now I don't want to modify it much, but if I decide I don't need to tow anything ill give it a lift and tires. Truck already has a magnaflow exhaust, sounds great. Guess ill just do an intake on it. I want to research what's interchangeable with foxbody 5.0 stuff.

The engine is the same, but keep in mind starting in 1997 1/4, they went to the GT40P heads (96-01 all has the GT40 intake, and 96 to early 97 has GT40 heads) so as far as heads/intake are concerned, your good to go there. It comes from the factory with a good flowing setup but the exhaust manifolds are RETARDED

Torque monster headers vs stock manifolds

Day_2_017_Medium_.jpg

Day_2_019_Medium_.jpg

Those are like the biggest improvement you can make to a v8 truck, with the mods I listed on my brothers truck he was able to pull 23mpg highway, my friends stock 5.0 only does 17 at best.

LiKuiD's 1998 5.0 XLT/EB/Mustang Wannabe - Ford Explorer Ranger Enthusiasts "Serious Explorations"®

As for an intake intake, go with the mac intake from EE :rockon:

RX1Cobra

Established Member
Not sure how thy can call that truck very clean lol. Anyway they're good trucks. Check the ball joints as they WILL go around a 100k or so. Replace them with greaseable units and never worry about them again. I've put about 75k on mine and in that time it's never let me down. In that 6 years I've done the ball joints (knew these needed to be done when I bought it with 50k), DPFE sensor and blower motor controller. Minus the ball joints that's about a 100 bucks in parts over 75k miles.

They will tow decent. I use mine to tow a two place snowmobile trailer and it cruises at 70 no problem but is only getting about 11 mpgs. Remember the car is 14 years old so be prepared to fix small things on it but the drivetrain is solid.

Ford1288

Established Member
I don't expect it to be perfect. It needs tires an alignment soon. The carpet doesn't look nearly that bad in person. Ill check the ball joints for sure. Looks like I am doing my final inspection and pick up Thursday.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I don't expect it to be perfect. It needs tires an alignment soon. The carpet doesn't look nearly that bad in person. Ill check the ball joints for sure. Looks like I am doing my final inspection and pick up Thursday.

ExplorerForum has a good write up on what to use for ball joints. People found that the raybestos / XRF (same thing) ball joints are bigger then factory, so many people use those. I also used those when I rebuilt the entire front end on my friends 2000 and they are very nice pieces.

Also, Bilstein HD shocks make the truck ride awesome, I suggest those to :beer:

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
I had a 2000 XLT Sport with the 5.0 and AWD. I sold it with 200k miles when I got my X5 and continue to kick myself every day for selling it.

I currently have a 2000 XLT non-sport with the SOHC 4.0 and it's been dead reliable, knock on wood. They are really solid vehicles.

Ford1288

Established Member
What's the problem I keep seeing about the SOHC and the timing chain?

RX1Cobra

Established Member
IMO the only motor to get is the 5.0. The cassettes on the timing chains will go bad on the ohc 4.0 and they're a pita to change plus the trans is weaker. With the 5.0 you know the motor is bulletproof and it has the best trans of that generation too. Get a 5.0.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member

If you don't change them out, you can end up like my friends 97 SOHC back in 02 @ 88k miles, snapped the chain and took out the engine. The up side is the trans is a 5 speed but it is weaker then the 4R70W.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

The early 4.0 SOHC motors would break chains. The chain setup on those engines is insane. The use the old pushrod block, run a small traditional chain to drive a jack-shaft in place of the camshaft, a chain then runs from the front of the jack-shaft up to one of the cams, the other cam is driven by a chain on the back of the engine from the back side of the jack-shaft.

It's designed with that famous German simplicity. :lol1:

Users who are viewing this thread