2-Step and Check engine light??

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
Guys I had something happen at the races that has never happened before. I was at the local airport at a Fashlight Drag event and had my 2-step set at just over 2k because of the slick surface. I have done this many times before. Pulled up to the line and after the other guy was ready we get the ok. Normaly I roll into the throttle and just tip on the 2-step. This time since I had my new ams-500 boost controller set to ramp in boost I just floored it. BTW The 2-Step is wired into my transbrake button. The revs came up and it started popping faster and faster and built a little boost but nothing crazy. The light went off and my finger left the transbrake button, then the car just fell on its face and the check engine light went off taking 700+ HP with it. The car drove smooth but just didnt go when I would stomp on it, kinda like a Prius. Car sounded good no noises of any kind, it just felt like I left in high gear thats how lacking the power was. Could it have been a limp home mode that was triggered by the 2-step?

I shut the engine off in the return lane and re-started but the check engine light was still on. After looking at the error codes I pulled P0354 to P0358 (Coil malfunction). When I got home I decided to clear the codes and take the car for a drive and it was all back to 100%.

I am curious of what caused this so it doesn't happen again. It ruined any shot I had in the finals. :fm:

ruthless

Established Member
After some brain storming we think the power to the coil packs was lost for a second. I am going to look over the wiring to and from the 2-step box.

ruthless

Established Member
I only have vids form the flashlight drags and only a few track vids from my shakedown runs.

Keep in mind that Sunday I was down about 100rwhp+ because of a broken boost gauge while trying to setup the new AMS-500 boost controller.

mitchrd2004's channel - YouTube

Last edited:

ruthless

Established Member
Is anyone else having this problem?

I have had it happen a few times now at the races and finaly have a house where I can mess with the car. I hit the transbrake button which is also wired to the n2nb box and my AMS-500 via the nitrous harness. I have the rpm set at 3,800. It comes up on it popping and I can see the boost ramp up. Then it does one of two things... The popping slows and the RPMs start falling or the poping stops and the check engine light comes on but the rpms dont drop as drasticly, still poping and slowing.

This happens if I am on the 2 step for more than 3 seconds. If I do it quickly everything is fine however my boost is low.

Is this an issue with the 2 step or is the computer thinking the car is missing and going into limp home mode?

gt347mustang

Established Member
The two step is causing a major misfire.

I haven't seen a cel as a result of the two step, but my wideband always shows super rich after getting on the two step.

ruthless

Established Member
Both my shop and n2mb think its some type of wiring issue. I have gauges, wideband, boost controller, trans brake and a line lock. Looks like its going to be fun troubleshooting this. Plus all my wires are cleanly ran, I hope they are after going back into it. :nonono:

Fat-cat

Established Member
I have had 2 autos with a 2 step now in my car neither have worked right. Now my Tbrake on my new th400 is not working at all. 2 Steps drive me nuts im going to pull it off and throw it in the ****en garbage.

03Steve

Established Member
Commanded lambda when cylinder is off. That table was activated by the presence of the codes. Turn off your misfire monitor and you'll never see it again. Have your tuner show you what the table look like for fuel delivery and it will all make sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

ruthless

Established Member
Thank you!

I took a quick look at my grounds and I am kicking myself. I have my raptor shift light, n2mb box and cars computer on the same ground. That's just asking for trouble since they all read RPM. I am going to move the n2mb box to a better ground that close to where its mounted.

I hope that fixes it besides turning off the misfire monitor in the tune.

I will know in a few hours.

Last edited:

ruthless

Established Member
I am thinking about selling this thing since I don't use the WOT part anyhow.

Shoot me a offer if any one is interested and it will come with the nitrous harness.

ruthless

Established Member
I may have found the issue. Looks like the shop installed a boost a spark in the same splice I hade for the n2mb but didnt daisy chain them. Bridging the gap are the set of wires for the n2mb and the boost a spark.

No fault of their just a oops. lol

Now to find the boost a spark wiring instructions to see if I am correct.

ruthless

Established Member
Got it working! Now I have that rapid fire popping and the RPM goes right to the setting and holds there steady. The best part is that I held it there twice as long as it took the CEL to kick on. :beer: Now its time to kick some butt at the races.

Users who are viewing this thread