2 Much Heat From Floor? how about U?

Abe Abromowitz

Established Member
When I drive there is way 2 much heat from the floor boards. It makes my feet very hot and I even feel heat on my face as I'm driving. Even when my top is down. Anyone else feel the heat?

Is this normal?

'04 cobra Vert (1,000 miles)

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Unfortunately it is normal and i don't know of a fix for it... Not so bad in the winter but definately a ton of fun in summer.

NCStanger

Established Member
I noticed this too and so did my girlfriend. She asked the same thing and wondered if it was normal. I said yes and no. I mean it shouldn't be the case but I don't think Fords gonna do anything about it. She wondered why the A/C didn't have option to come out floor vents like on her Jeep Cherokee that she sold to me for a beater after I bought my cobra. That would have been a big help for sure. I had an old 73 Cutlas supreme with a big 455 in it that used to get hot in the floorboard, very similar to this car. But this car is new and I don't like it or understand why. Our engines just run a bit hotter is all I can figure unless they cut back on the protection from heat in the floorboard which wouldn't surprise me.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Yup, my center console boils as well... I put a thing of chapstick in the cup holder on a half hour drive, went to use it and it was melted. I say it's normal because the few 03's I know of around me have the same issue.. supposedly it's from the collectors being so close to the floor, I know an 01 that has the same issue as well...

Abe Abromowitz

Established Member
I'm gonna bring in for service and see what "they" say. I'm not gonna hold my breath. But I called SVT and they said it sounds weird.

I'm sorry you all also have this. But, at least I'm not nutz

jdk

No fun til someone dies
Established Member
It's normal guys...Engine and drivetrain heat, and exhaust heat, all have to be shielded from the cabin of the car. The more shielding, the heavier the car is, so it's a trade off.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hmmm, I never noticed it. Neither did my wife. How hot is it getting? And are you sure it's normal? I just find it strange that I've never personally experienced it nor have I heard anyone every mention it.

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
First off, the Mustangs DO have an option for AC through the floor vents, as well as a Hi/Lo setting (dash vents and floor vents). If you turn the temp knob into the red, it's the heater setting, but if the temp knob is in the blue, it's the AC setting. BTW, the AC condensor works when you switch to heat or defrost. Some of the Jap cars have a separate AC button to allow you to blow air through the defrost vents without running the condensor (although I have found that does absolutely no good as far as clearing the windshield of fog).

Second, remove your console and you'll see a hole in the hump which your shifter sticks up through. Ford uses a piece of rubber to seal this, however a lot of heat comes up through there. Besides the transmission, the exhaust pipes and cats (which get very hot, much hotter than the surrounding pipes) are also under there. Insulate that hole in the tunnel and it will help a great deal. I have found that the rubber by itself doesn't do a lot to abate the heat. Try driving around for a while with the console off and you'll see what I mean.

Dynamat on the sides of the tunnel, under the carpet will also help, but mainly sealing the shifter hole better will do it. Go to the junkyard and buy the fiber undermat from a Fox bodied hatchback. My 86 had a thick layer in the hatch area under the carpet. You can cut a hole just large enough for the shifter and let it droop over the sides. Trim it so it doesn't stick out from under the console. Also, I have found that CobraBob's gasket set also cuts down on the heat transfer from the transmission to the shifter. Every little bit helps.

ChicagoMike

Modification Addict
Established Member
IF you think this car gets hot, you fry fry eggs AND bacon on the door sills of a Dodge Viper after driving it a while.

High horsepower cars = high heat. Another great reason to do the heat extractor hood mod, helps get rid of more heat.

Air conditioning is the only solution in stop and go traffic. The car will stay it's coolest on the highway with the windows cracked or open. Stop and go city driving, the car will bake you alive unless the AC is on or windows are open ... or it's COLD out :)

notdisturbed

I got nothin...
Established Member
Im pretty sure that if you replace the stock mid-pipe youll be rid of the problem. I had the same exact problem till i went to the MRT pipe, now i have no odd pockets of heat on the floor. I know we have huge motors that produce lots of heat, but the heat wouldnt show itself radiating into your floor boards.

Crowley

Okey doke
Established Member
I usually put my frozen dinners on the floor board when I am driving home from work ... By the time I'm home, they are cooked and ready to eat ....

Crowley

:rolling:

SALEENGTROUSH

who wants to race ?
Established Member
Originally posted by Crowley
I usually put my frozen dinners on the floor board when I am driving home from work ... By the time I'm home, they are cooked and ready to eat ....

Crowley

:rolling:

haha yea it seems like you could do that with all that damn heat:burn:

03SilverCoupe

Established Member
Hey guys I had the same problem with the floor board in my 03 getting really hot. I removed the hood blanket opened up the vents and problem went away!!!!!!

fiorefiveoh

Established Member
everyone has that problem. i lined my floorboard and trunk with roofing/duct insulation. has aluminum with a tar like adhesive backing. just apply it then hit it with a roller. i put 2 layers of it. as soon as i put my stereo back in it should be nice and quiet in the cabin. definitely worked for the heat. i used to hate on long drives feet would be cooking. not anymore. just go to home depot and go in the roofing or plumbing section, otherwise you will be paying a lot for the dynamat or other name brand stuff.

PDubs

Established Member
I have it too, very annoying. I can't put the windows half-way down because the desired little amount of wind that comes in cannot overpower the heat coming from wherever it is that it comes from. It's like either the windows are all the way down or all the way up, no middle ground because it gets too hot.

1BLWN 03

Established Member
finally someone else who has the problem...I have had the car into the dealer I don't know how many times now. What I hear from them is the they "cannot replicate the problem" and therfore it must not exist. At least now I don't feel alone with burning feet. It is very uncomfortable. :shrug:

Abe Abromowitz

Established Member
The dealer told me that "its a racecar and it gets hot".

Anyway, I'm gonna look into the suggestions you guys gave and I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread