2.9Lwhipple-enough for 700whp?(on E85?)

sidewayscoupe

Established Member
Very interesting....I plan on starting out with a 3.5 upper and stock lower. I have a 3.25 for back up just in case.....

A slightly off topic question but it sounds like the guys who would know are in this thread...

Does a 2.9 Whipple with a 3.5 pulley have any interference issues on a stock hood. I was by myself last night and didn't want to find out the hard way. I will most likely use a scope from underneath just to be sure, but wanted to get some feedback.

Last edited:

cbr repsol

Established Member
Very interesting....I plan on starting out with a 3.5 upper and stock lower. I have a 3.25 for back up just in case.....

A slightly off topic question but it sounds like the guys who would know are in this thread...

Does a 2.9 Whipple with a 3.5 pulley have any interference issues on a stock hood. I was by myself last night and didn't want to find out the hard way. I will most likely use a scope from underneath just to be sure, but wanted to get some feedback.

No issues with hood clearance..my buddie gabe initally ran a 3.75 with no problem.

MalcolmV8

Established Member

No issues with the pulley. I have the crusher on my 2.9 and the back end of it, the throttle cable bracket and the intake tube just in front of the TB are all rubbing on the hood blanket though and leaving marks from driving :(

cobra_mer

Established Member
Is your longblock stock? I didnt know 2.9's had 690 out of them with 100 unleaded and only 1 pulley change up? Also is that the standard inlet or crusher?

Yes every thing below the valve covers is stock. Only upper 3.5 pulley before LTs it was dyno'd at 575, 20lbs of boost with 93 octane. Now with BBK LTs and BBK o/r X and 100 octane the boost dropped to 18lbs so the tuner added a 3.25 upper to bring the boost back to 20lbs. Its the standard 2.9 whipple inlet, I bought the 2.9 when they first came out and didn't have a crusher inlet also when I purchased the S/C whipple stated a crusher inlet wont be beneficial until over 25lbs of boost.

KJ04SVT

Established Member
hi everyone, I have a 2.9 whipple that Im trying to get 700+ out of,
is a RR 2.8"upper/2lb lower enough to see the boost level necessary for 700whp :??:

Kwik03 - I have a 04 2.9 Whipple setup, with 3.5 upper and stock lower, pushing out 692 rwhp 593 rwtq on E85. I have kooks Lts so my boost is around 17-18 lbs....

If you want to be at or over 700 rwhp, go with a 3.25 pulley, should net you a few lbs of boost. but up wont be able to run 93 pump gas. I also would stay away from adding to the lower pulley, My opinion only..... You will be producing real good torque numbers to support the horsepower...

Good luck with the setup!!

1320 Junkie

Established Member
3.0" netted me 21 psi with the crusher...710/620 on 109 VP...i have a 2.7" im going to run that should put me near 25psi. I dont measure my boost PSI at redline i go by what it makes at 6200 when i shift...if i wing it to 6800 it will make 23psi on the 3.0"

VenomSVT03

CRUSHER
Established Member
We have a local guy, goes by VenomSVT I believe, that is running a similar set-up but with a solid axle and he's running 138 mph and the car is making mid 700's I believe. It's a 2.9L Crusher on E85.

Yes Derek that is correct. I went 138ish on the whipple with the stock inlet making 755, with a solid rear end, on 18" saleens with nitto DRs. The crusher hasnt made it to the track yet, it will soon though. Next time will be on big and littles and a few other suspension changes.

sidewayscoupe

Established Member
Thanks guys!

No issues with hood clearance..my buddie gabe initally ran a 3.75 with no problem.

No issues with the pulley. I have the crusher on my 2.9 and the back end of it, the throttle cable bracket and the intake tube just in front of the TB are all rubbing on the hood blanket though and leaving marks from driving :(

Kwik03DSG

Established Member
Yes Derek that is correct. I went 138ish on the whipple with the stock inlet making 755, with a solid rear end, on 18" saleens with nitto DRs. The crusher hasnt made it to the track yet, it will soon though. Next time will be on big and littles and a few other suspension changes.

Impressive. Venom what is your pulley combo with this blower? also All supporting mods? thanks

VenomSVT03

CRUSHER
Established Member
Built motor with a little higher compression ( 9:7.1 ) full exhaust, whipple 2.9 crusher with 2.75 upper pulley only @ 27psi, E85

ds03cobra

one man pit crew
Established Member
Impressive. Venom what is your pulley combo with this blower? also All supporting mods? thanks

X2 also interested thanks

Built motor with a little higher compression ( 9:7.1 ) full exhaust, whipple 2.9 crusher with 2.75 upper pulley only @ 27psi, E85

Built motor with a little higher compression ( 9:7.1 ) full exhaust, whipple 2.9 crusher with 2.75 upper pulley only @ 27psi, E85,3 gt pumps fore triple pump hat -8 fuel line div x fuelrails 105lb injectors A/R 1"3/4 headers
just to add what else is on his car

VenomSVT03

CRUSHER
Established Member
Built motor with a little higher compression ( 9:7.1 ) full exhaust, whipple 2.9 crusher with 2.75 upper pulley only @ 27psi, E85,3 gt pumps fore triple pump hat -8 fuel line div x fuelrails 105lb injectors A/R 1"3/4 headers

:rockon::beer:

Kwik03DSG

Established Member

thats good to know, encourages me a little bit.

I have a similar combo fuel wise: DX kit with Bosch 105's only difference is I went return, dual 400lph walboro pumps.

Non crusher 2.9L, caged 2lb lower pulley and 2.80 Reichard upper; I expect the lack of a crusher inlet to limit me a little, but i just cant fork over 2k for that inlet upgrade right now lol..

Motor is a MMR1000 4.75L, Ported heads and lower intake, FGT cams, FGT rocker arms, ferrea valves, comp springs/retainers.

Exhaust is ARH 1 3/4 headers w/3in collector, 3" to 2.5" x-pipe.

Long short I feel assured I can get 10's/high 9's at 137-140mph... thats what ive wanted. a 6 speed IRS monster lol... and I CANT WAIT until everything has finish being installed and tuned...

Thanks everyone for your respective inputs!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread