2.93 Upper 4# Lower/ Is the underdrive alternator pulley needed?

Dominick32

BANNED
Guys with a 2.93 upper and 4lb. lower is the underdrive alternator pulley needed to reduce overspinning and destroying it?

Also, what gatorback or gates belt would fit this setup with no idlers?

Thanks in advance.

Dom
www.svtsnake.com

Last edited:

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
I wouldn't worry about the alt. Dom. Even though some cars have pretty weak ones to begin with, I have been overspinning mine now for 10,000 miles with a 6 lb lower and no problems. I do have a underdrive pulley at home, but it's such a bitch to get to the alt, I figure I'll wait till it does fry and then take care of it then. I really think though with a 2 or 4lb lower, it's a non-issue.

TRBO VNM

I am going to have a 2.93 and 6# lower. I bought the alt. pulley and will try installing it. But it doesn't look fun.

predator

Established Member
The alternator really is not that bad to pull.....if you do it from the bottom. Just a couple of minutes. Impact gun on the pulley bolt and you are ready to swap. Just insure that you use the correct spacer for the new pulley. :beer:

TRBO VNM

Originally posted by predator
The alternator really is not that bad to pull.....if you do it from the bottom. Just a couple of minutes. Impact gun on the pulley bolt and you are ready to swap. Just insure that you use the correct spacer for the new pulley. :beer:

my problem is no impact. I have done everything with hand tools. Even the springs. And have done the rear springs by myself...sorry, feels nice to accomplish that alone. I have been told you can't!

anyway, I got the metco alt. pulley. so whatever spacer comes with it, if it even does. I assume they give me everything I need. the problem will be getting the stock pulley off with no impact gun. I might need to take it somewhere. Is it something you remove and install with the impact(the pulley that is)?

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Originally posted by Dominick32
Also, what gatorback or gates belt would fit this setup with no idlers?
I'm getting ready to go with this setup too.....anybody know the belt(s)???

Dominick32

BANNED
Re: Re: 2.93 Upper 4# Lower/ Is the underdrive alternator pulley needed?

Originally posted by IronTerp
I'm getting ready to go with this setup too.....anybody know the belt(s)???

I definitely need this belt size also.

Dom

Users who are viewing this thread