2.93 pulley without a chip?

xyz

Established Member
Can I slap a 2.93 L pulley on an otherwise stock Cobra without meltdown? Everybody is always talking about running lean without a chip, but I have yet to read about a Cobra blowing up as a result of not running the chip with the pulley.

I only plan to run the pulley for a few days until I get my chip.

Thanx

03&68cobras

Established Member
I ran a 2.8 for 10,000 miles without a chip, but I did not have a CAI or exhaust. I recently changed the plugs and they looked great so I don't think it was running excessively lean. But I would only do this if the pulley is the ONLY mod.

NastyWS6

Established Member
You probably could run it without a chip, but IMO it is not worth the risk. Unless ofcourse you can stay out of boost until you get your get chip.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
I wouldn't do it, it's too much of a risk. Especially if you plan on driving it hard.

Pyro

Established Member
I've been running a 2.93 pulley for 5000 miles without a chip however, my mods are mild. I only have Flowmaster mufflers and a customer CAI and I haven't had any problems. I have 11000 miles now and I've changed my plugs twice and both times they looked ok. I've also been driving pretty mellow. I'm waiting for the Predator.

On a side note, yesterday I loaded a 1/2 tank of 100 octane to blend in with 1/2 tank of 91 octane so I can stand on the fun pedal a little.

Keep in mind that Ford is very conservative with the stock timing to account for those idiots who use 89 octane then floor it up a mountain at 2000 rpms.

You should be ok if your mods are light. Good luck. My $.02

slow lane

proud daddy
Established Member
Networking Guru has been running with a 2.93" pulley and no chip for almost a year I think. He has reported no problems.

My first chip had too much timing advance, so we pulled it out and dynoed without the chip. Based on the lean A/F through 4500 RPM with no chip, I stayed out of the boost until we got the chip corrected and reinstalled 3 weeks later. At the time I pestered the Guru to get a chip based on my dyno. He did not get a chip and his car has been ok as far as I know. I still wouldn't do it though, I hammer on my car at low RPMs at least twice a day.

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
If your car is first run w/ QUD2 computer code then you are OK for a short time but I would personally NOT run a 2.93 pullied car w/ YDH0 or YDH1 computer code.. talking the difference between around 15.0:1 AFR below 5000rpm w/ a QUD2 vs. 16-17.0:1 AFR w/ the YDH0 or YDH1. You make the call.. If you have later code, just stay out of the boost until you get the tune..

Juiced-03

Established Member
I had a 2.93 for 3 months without a chip and I laid into it all the time with no problems!

bunk22

Established Member
I'm about to add a 2.93 pulley with no chip but of course I will tune the air-fuel with my Afterburner. I wouldn't trust running that pulley on the stock tune but if you stay out of boost, might not be an issue. I don't expect huge gains with the pulley due to the stock timing but I shouldn't have to worry about lean air-fuels at WOT either.

Pyro

Established Member
Originally posted by CuLaTeR
Why would you want to be forced to stay out of boost on a supercharged car? I don't get you guys.

I've played with that thought also which is why may go with a 3.1 pulley or blend to 95.5 octane until I get the Predator. It may not have the power of a 2.93 but at least, I get to play with the fun pedal. However, I dont have to go WOT to have fun with my 03. In Southern Cali, I know of few places were I can go WOT anyway. Maybe short bursts but not many areas where you can go WOT for any lengthy period of time....you'd have to go to certain places such as I-71 but if your not in that area, good luck. Then there's always the 405 at 4:00am on Christmas morning. In any case, WOT at 3500 RPM's shouldn't cause any harm to a non-chipped car using a 2.93....just punch it above 3000 rpms and you should be ok. It's leaner up there but still not ideal.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Originally posted by Pyro
On a side note, yesterday I loaded a 1/2 tank of 100 octane to blend in with 1/2 tank of 91 octane so I can stand on the fun pedal a little.

Just remember, running high octane will NOT help a lean condition. You can still melt pistons by running lean, i.e. too damn hot!!

The high octane will only allow you to run more compression and/or timing without getting pre-ignition of the mix.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Why upgrade the pulley, then not go full boost? Seems counterproductive. Just leave it stock and hammer it all you want.

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Originally posted by Snake Blood
2.8 no chip, no detination, just dont boost over 5k rpms if you're worried, and you should be good.

Wrong. Our cars are rich above 5000rpm, lean below 4000..

Why would you pulley and stay out of the boost? Only until you get a TUNE.

High octane like someone else said doesn't stop the HEAT of running that lean.. that ain't your issue..

If you add a pulley and don't add fuel (chip or afterburner) then you may be lucky but your nuts in my book.. you can get away with it for a while but why purposely go against the grain (on a $12K engine) of decades of knowledge about the appropriate AFR for a supercharged application? Again, forged internals stand up longer than hypercraptic to abuse but why abuse it? So you make it 10K miles, maybe you make it 40K miles.. it ain't going anywhere near 100K. Not trying to flame anyone or talk down to anyone. Jerry

NetworkingGuru

Established Member
Lots of people posting opinions without actually trying it on this thread. Sorry if this ruffles feathers, but it's the truth. If you haven't run with a 2.93 and no chip, you have no experience with it and should probably stay out of the conversation.

Now, I have a second run car, and have been running with a 2.93 and no chip now for at least 8 months and 10,000 miles or so. I made the decision to go with no chip and actively monitor the car to see if a chip was, indeed, required. My experience to this point tells me that it is not at this boost level, however, that is not to say there are not issues with it and that you can just do it with no worries. First, I had to change my plugs very shortly after upping the boost as the stock plugs were reading a bit hot (light red on the porcelin in the 7 and 8 cylinders). Upon further inspection, I noticed that there was what may have been the beginning of a crack on the electrode of the #8 plug, which would be a indicator of light detonation. I switched from the stock AGSF22FM1's to AGSF12FM1's which are one step colder, and gapped them at .038 to further drop the temps. After several runs, and over 10,000 miles, this looks to be about perfect in my car. The plugs look wonderful, and I check them often. I got six total dyno pulls 1-2 months after the switch. No sign of detonation while on the rollers. AF is lean (approx .5 to 1.0 leaner than stock) in the lower (to 3000 RPM) ranges, going to pig rich (10:1) thereafter. Made 444/439 with a JLP CAI, no mufflers, and the 2.93 with a 74.5" Gatorback on 93 octane.

Now for the bad. The dyno runs were not consistent. MY car pulled the best numbers after the first two runs with minimal cool-down time. This may be a sign of the ECU pulling timing due to low AF and/or detonation (though the last part is questionable, since A) I have heard that the car does not have knock sensors, and B) it would have to be VERY light detonation not to show up on the plugs in 10,000 miles). Also, the car does not run consistent times at the track, even with DR's, and the times it runs are not as good as they should be for the HP, which could be caused by the same problems that cause the weird dyno issues. However, this could also be caused by a more sloped TQ curve than is typical on chipped cars. Regardless, I have seen no issues to date related to the pulley, and I do NOT baby the car, I run it hard through first and second multiple times a day, redlining often and occasionally even popping the limiter. Take this for what you will, and your mileage may vary, but these are my experiences. :beer:

Pyro

Established Member
Thanks Networkingguru,

I think you gave me advice long ago but I forgot who it was. I too, check the plugs often. How do NGK TR6's compare to the 12FM1's? I am using them now...should I go back to the 12FM1's or are the NGK's comparable? Thanks again for your advice as I, too am having little trouble. Now that I heard your experience, I an confident to open her up a bit. I've never gone to the track and dont really plan on it soon so I think it should be fine until the Predator comes out.

Brad

Banned
Just get a chip and do it the right way. If you're going to wait for the preditor, wait to install the pulley. Clearly people have been getting away with no chip with a pulley, but it just seems like a stupid risk on a 40k car.

~Brad

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
My car went 12.19@116 on just a 2.93 and amazon CAI. I checked plugs regularly and they looked perfect. Car never pinged etc etc

FYI its a 2nd run YDH1

Users who are viewing this thread