2.9 whipple vs 3.4 Whipple Crusher

Sebastion

Established Member
Hi guys so just got an 04 cobra . I will be putting a whipple blower but can decide if I should go with a 2.9 crusher or the 3.4 Whipple Crusher . I will be building the block and heads . Which blower will benefit me more thanks

MG0h3

Established Member
There are many similar threads that ask just this. Scroll through this forum and you'll see them.

2.9 crusher is plenty.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Sebastion, if you're new to these cars read up some on the blowers. Bigger is not better. It depends on what you want out of the car and also what fuel you'll be running. Not all the blowers can be spun properly to enjoy on pump gas but need race gas or E85. Also the blowers have different torque curves and power bands. If you share more about your setup and your goals for the car we can guide you better.

Sebastion

Established Member
Sebastion, if you're new to these cars read up some on the blowers. Bigger is not better. It depends on what you want out of the car and also what fuel you'll be running. Not all the blowers can be spun properly to enjoy on pump gas but need race gas or E85. Also the blowers have different torque curves and power bands. If you share more about your setup and your goals for the car we can guide you better.

Thank you . I’m planning on running a built bottom end with compression 10:5 , stage two heads with cams ,fuel system on E 85. I want to make around 900 - -1000 hp range .

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Thank you . I’m planning on running a built bottom end with compression 10:5 , stage two heads with cams ,fuel system on E 85. I want to make around 900 - -1000 hp range .

That'll be a fun motor. I've built a 10.5 CR motor myself. Also with cams, ported heads etc. etc. I went with the 2.9 Whipple Crusher and I'll tell you it'll more than surpass your HP goals. However be aware that once you go to a high CR motor the RPMs wrap up and down so violently and quick compare to stock it starts tearing up the lower pulleys turning over the big blower. So prepare yourself for that.

I destroyed no less than 6 lowers trying to make that work with the 2.9. I even went to custom made setups with locking plates etc. Nothing was able to hold. I guess I was pushing it hard though and was running 30 PSI.

6mAGXRT1tJS5mpwmy_MwCiCRPFApoWqGmImvfJ79L73lKi9T3hM91Lgf535ApVBGhtRd35uoyNS9Q6JA5A=w1240-h930-no.jpg

So I stepped down to the 2.3 TVS and was pleasantly surprised with how much more bottom end it had. The top end wasn't as strong, was only pushing a peak of 24 PSI and most the pull was around 22 PSI but it still made over 800 whp with that TVS.

Now that VMP has announced the 2.65 TVS coming out that may be a viable option to reach your goal.

stangfreak

Established Member
malcolm, do you think a motor with a compression ratio of 9.5 lets say, will also have the lower pulley issues with a 2.9? what if the car has an auto? wouldn't that also help with the shock?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
malcolm, do you think a motor with a compression ratio of 9.5 lets say, will also have the lower pulley issues with a 2.9? what if the car has an auto? wouldn't that also help with the shock?

Auto helps a lot because you don't have those constant wicked RPM changes on shifting like a stick.
Not sure on the 9.5, I want to say it'll be OK from 9.5 motors I've built in the past but I never had a 2.9 Whipple on any of them either so couldn't be sure.

badmpg03

Established Member
Man I hate being reminded of your carnage Malcolm.
I am having a shop do a full motor build right now - 10:1 / ported heads on the 2.9. It will be done in a month and fingers are crossed.
This might be dumb thought but do you think the teskid block ever played a factor in those failed crank pullies?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Man I hate being reminded of your carnage Malcolm.
I am having a shop do a full motor build right now - 10:1 / ported heads on the 2.9. It will be done in a month and fingers are crossed.
This might be dumb thought but do you think the teskid block ever played a factor in those failed crank pullies?

No the block won't make a difference. Stock lowers will get destroyed. Your best bet is to go with an Innovators West damper with the metco ring (even if stock size). Supposably studding the crank helps prevent the snout breaking off too but I can't find any real data that supports it been better or worse.

badmpg03

Established Member
Thanks for the tips.
Planning to only run 22-23 psi, not going for max so hoping that will help as well.

ctgreddy

Established Member
seeing as you've got a built motor I'd do the 3.4 and make sure it's got the new gen3 rotors. If you were staying stock motor I'd say 2.9 as my buddies car is about identical to mine but he outruns me with his 2.9 crusher. This is stock engine tho so I cant really push my 3.4 too hard.

If possible I'd look into studding your crank and doing the IW balancer. Will be a bit more money, but money very well spent and give you piece of mind that you wont have to worry about crank issues.

Sebastion

Established Member
seeing as you've got a built motor I'd do the 3.4 and make sure it's got the new gen3 rotors. If you were staying stock motor I'd say 2.9 as my buddies car is about identical to mine but he outruns me with his 2.9 crusher. This is stock engine tho so I cant really push my 3.4 too hard.

If possible I'd look into studding your crank and doing the IW balancer. Will be a bit more money, but money very well spent and give you piece of mind that you wont have to worry about crank issues.
Yea I plan to run 10:5 compression with heads and cams . I want to run a 3.4 with 30 pounds . Would it be better to run a short block or long ?

MG0h3

Established Member
The only gen 3 is a 2.9

Currently no other setup from whipple offers the "gen 3" upgrades.

Sebastion

Established Member
How much boost can you run on the gen3 whipple ? I just found a thread that some cobra owners are making up to 150 more on the gen 3 whipple .

Users who are viewing this thread