2.9 whipple on and tuned!!!!!!

mach1033

Established Member
Can someone do us a favor and post ALL mods necessary to upgrade from stock?

1) Absolutely minimum must have:
Do not buy a 2.9 without purchasing the following....
2) Smart upgrades:
In other words, "To do it right"... boost gauge?
3) Spending extra, but finishing it out to a nice package and WHY:
Stuff that shows you went beyond... headers?

Wife and I did some math, and by the time you get the IRS girdle, crossbrace and urethane so I don't break HER* car, this isn't cheap.

If I need to post a new thread, let me know. Thanks!
If your going from a STOCK Cobra to a 2.9 then its gonna cost ya some coin with all the mods your gonna need. But I will give it a shot.
1. Complete fuel system upgrade whether it be return or the Lethal/Fore returnless system with at least 60lb injectors. If you plan on boosting in the 20's or more than 80's are a must with a bap on a 2 pump set up.
2. Clutch upgrade is a must also. There are plenty out there.
3. It only accepts a single blade TB
4. A new MAF like an SCT or Mafia
5. Drag radial's of your choice
6. A CAI or RAI. I personally prefer a RAI.
7. A bigger heat exchanger and maybe a bigger IC tank.
8. IRS brace at least. Full sub frame connectors as well.
9. Handheld of your choice like a diablo or sct.
10. A better flowing exhaust sytem of your choice. Stock manifolds should be fine.
I think thats it lol.

Last edited:

POPO30

Established Member
Are you saying 678 hp is what you got on a Mustang Dyno? ...with stock exhaust manifolds and you ran out of fuel? A Dynojet generally gives higher numbers, right?

Yes 678 is what I put down on the mustang dyno. Yes fuel pump voltage dropped at the top of my rpm range. Yes Dyno jet generally has higher numbers.....40-50hp

nooner

Established Member
Yes 678 is what I put down on the mustang dyno. Yes fuel pump voltage dropped at the top of my rpm range. Yes Dyno jet generally has higher numbers.....40-50hp

Holy crap! My goal was 650 rwhp (on a dynojet) so I went with the 2.9 instead of the 2.3, but it looks like I'm going to end up with a whole lot more than I wanted. I've already ordered long tubes, a return style fuel system, and 80 lb injectors to go with my ported and cammed heads. I'm not sure I want THAT much power! :eek:

mach1033

Established Member
Holy crap! My goal was 650 rwhp (on a dynojet) so I went with the 2.9 instead of the 2.3, but it looks like I'm going to end up with a whole lot more than I wanted. I've already ordered long tubes, a return style fuel system, and 80 lb injectors to go with my ported and cammed heads. I'm not sure I want THAT much power! :eek:

Well son guess what your gonna get it and more!!!! Don't be scared.

mach1033

Established Member
I think I should hang on to my Eaton for a while just in case.

The 2.3 is an excellent blower. At 17/18lbs of boost will get you over 600 on pump 93. Trust me its more than enough power for the street. The 2.9 is a very well designed blower and it makes alot of power with a stock pulley.

DevilSun

Established Member
Man, that's a crazy amount of power and boost for a stock 2.9 out of the box and all stock pulleys on a stock engine. Very nice, congrats!

Marc

Established Member
Can someone do us a favor and post ALL mods necessary to upgrade from stock?

1) Absolutely minimum must have:
Do not buy a 2.9 without purchasing the following....
2) Smart upgrades:
In other words, "To do it right"... boost gauge?
3) Spending extra, but finishing it out to a nice package and WHY:
Stuff that shows you went beyond... headers?

Wife and I did some math, and by the time you get the IRS girdle, crossbrace and urethane so I don't break HER* car, this isn't cheap.

If I need to post a new thread, let me know. Thanks!

I think I am pretty "spot on" with my purchases (yet to be installed):

Lethal Performance 1000HP Fuel System
Fore Precision Works IRS Differential Cove
Maximum Motorsports IRS Differential Polyurethane Mount/Bushing Kit
Semens Deka 80 LB High Impedance Injectors (flow matched)
Fore Precision Works Fuel Rails
Summit Racing Driveshaft Loop
AFCO Pro Series Dual Pass Heat Exchanger
Maximum MotorSports Chrome Caster Camber Plates
Lethal Performance T-56 Throwout Bearing Retainer Sleeve
Fiore Micro-Click Firewall Adjuster & Quadrant
LDC Chicago Clutch Freeplay Correction Kit
Ford Racing Roller Pilot Bearing
Ford Racing Heavy Duty Throw Out Bearing
Hans Full Length Subframe Connectors
Mcleod RXT 26 Spline Clutch
Mcleod Lightened Steel Flywheel
D&D 26 Spline Input Shaft
SCT Xcal3 Programmer/Handheld Tuner
PFAB Radiator Expansion Tank
PFAB Supercharger Tank
Canton Power Steering Resevoir
EGR Delete Kit
Reische 170 Degree Thermostat
Even Flow Generation 2 Head Cooling Mod

Kwik03DSG

Established Member
Does Whipple have a boost chart for the 2.9 yet?

No they dont, but I *think* it would be ok to extrapolate the data given on the 2.3L boost chart to apply to the 2.9L

The 2.9L whipple (175ci) is 25% bigger by displacement volume than the 2.3 (140ci)

Using whipple's boost chart for the Gen 2 140ax (more boost than Gen 1) we get the following values and ratios derived from the crank diameter (7.5") divided by the pulley diameter (varies):

The figures on the left are for the 2.3 and the 2.9 on the right, separated by a slash.

3.50" 3.50"
15.0 / 18.75
2.14 2.14

3.25" 3.25"
17.0 / 21.25
2.31 2.31

3.00" 3.00"
19.0 / 23.75
2.50 2.50

2.75" 2.75"
21.0 / 26.25
2.73 2.73

This is a rough estimate; bear in mind that the larger displacement of the 2.9L means it moves more air per screw rotation; as a result, it does not heat the air as quickly as a smaller blower would. Cooler air is more dense, and would result in an increase of boost, just like one sees variance from 90* ambient temps in the heat of summer, to 40* temps in the winter. Boost generally increases.

If anyone cares to chime in, please feel free to do so.

EDIT: This is also assuming the 2.3 and 2.9 carry the same internal gear ratios. The 3.4 GEN 2 whipple has an HPR gear ratio according to whipple industries. However I dont know much about the tech aspects concerning it.

Last edited:

Kwik03DSG

Established Member
What would be the biggest pulley/lowest boost combo available for the 2.9?

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-aed-tuned-whipple-2-9-results-pump-91-a.html

the guys at AED used a 3.75" pulley and made 15psi with a spike to 17 @ the top of the pull IIRC. still made 650rwhp LOL. :rockon:

If you wanted to underdrive it even further ( not sure why, but to each his own) you could use the metco 6.55" lower pulley. It drops boost about 2psi for the 3.4 guys that employ the use of it.

EDIT: so a Metco 6.55 crank and a 3.75" upper will get 13-14psi.

POPO30

Established Member
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...-aed-tuned-whipple-2-9-results-pump-91-a.html

the guys at aed used a 3.75" pulley and made 15psi with a spike to 17 @ the top of the pull iirc. Still made 650rwhp lol. :rockon:

If you wanted to underdrive it even further ( not sure why, but to each his own) you could use the metco 6.55" lower pulley. It drops boost about 2psi for the 3.4 guys that employ the use of it.

Edit: So a metco 6.55 crank and a 3.75" upper will get 13-14psi.

i ordered the 3.75 and belt and boost a pump. I was not expecting 680hp and was not prepared for it. Too much for the street.....in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread