2.9 Whipple on a 2013 GT500 worth it?

mvga1987

Established Member
I have a 2.9L Whipple crusher in my garage that come out of my old 2011 GT500.

Now I have a 2013 GT500 all stock besides full exhaust, Is it worth putting my 2.9L Whipple on my 2013 GT500 or not worth it since i can just keep the stock TVS blower and do a small pulley?

My goal is 800WHP with pump gas/methanol or E85.

Should I install the 2.9 Whipple or keep the 2.3 TVS and do pulley??

Thanks!

mvga1987

Established Member
you could go upper/lower with the TVS, and run e85
Would that reach 800whp? I thought about putting the 2.9L whipple only because I already have it. I have not seen a stock 13 tvs with over 745whp yet.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
BiminiLX is running like just under 1k HP on his trinity TVS. Its definitely possible.

If you HAVE the blower, then of course try. If you get it installed and have it tuned and youre not happy, either pulley the TVS or upgrade to the 3.4L Whipple. Or go ALL out and get the 4.0L, but that means bigger injectors and better fuel system.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
BiminiLX's blower isnt anywhere near stock.

The TVS is a bad MoFo, but if you are attacking a dyno number, a 2.9 will get there easier on boost alone and wont need as many supporting mods (headers, cams, etc) as the TVS.

CD07GT500

Klaus's Bitch
Established Member
A 2.9 crusher on e85 is capable of 850+ with the stock motor and supporting mods. I would not be surprised if a 5.8 could touch 900 with one.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Definitely install the 2.9! I'm guessing you probably have the 3" pulley with your Whipple since that's what it came with for the '11/'12. You can probably reach your goal just with the 2.9 and a tune. If not, add a smaller pulley to the 2.9 and blow your goal out of the water.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
The stock TVS can get you 800rwhp on E85, my ported stock TVS did 755rwhp on a mild 93 pump tune on 15% lower only.
Honestly, I like the low end response of the TVS but never have been it a Whipple that was pushed hard, and mild boosted Whipples felt laggy to me.
I'd sell either blower and use the funds to pay for supporting mods.
What do you plan on doing with it?
If racing it and pushing it hard, you'll need to be very careful with the stock motor at 800rwhp.
If just for street and highway pulls, then the stock motor should hang in there.
End of the day, the 2.9 is bigger than the 2.3 so if you push it hard, it should make more power. But for street use, low end torque/response may lean towards TVS.
Good to have the choice.
-J

mvga1987

Established Member
The stock TVS can get you 800rwhp on E85, my ported stock TVS did 755rwhp on a mild 93 pump tune on 15% lower only.
Honestly, I like the low end response of the TVS but never have been it a Whipple that was pushed hard, and mild boosted Whipples felt laggy to me.
I'd sell either blower and use the funds to pay for supporting mods.
What do you plan on doing with it?
If racing it and pushing it hard, you'll need to be very careful with the stock motor at 800rwhp.
If just for street and highway pulls, then the stock motor should hang in there.
End of the day, the 2.9 is bigger than the 2.3 so if you push it hard, it should make more power. But for street use, low end torque/response may lean towards TVS.
Good to have the choice.
-J
Thanks man, I had the whipple on a 11 with a 3.25 pulley and headers x pipe. 668whp but felt like it needed more torque at low rpms. Now I cant decide between the 2.9 and keeping the tvs on my new shelby 2013. I'm wonder if the 2.9 with small pulley get decent torque. I plan on doing freeway pulls and quarter mile drag a few times a year at the strip.
Hard decision....

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd probably try to see if anyone wants to trade the 2.9 for a 3.4 and if not, sell the 2.9 to buy supporting mods to max the stock TVS. When the new TVS2650 comes out, sell 2.3 for 2.7.
Done.
Fun spending other people's cash:)
-J

CD07GT500

Klaus's Bitch
Established Member
Thanks man, I had the whipple on a 11 with a 3.25 pulley and headers x pipe. 668whp but felt like it needed more torque at low rpms. Now I cant decide between the 2.9 and keeping the tvs on my new shelby 2013. I'm wonder if the 2.9 with small pulley get decent torque. I plan on doing freeway pulls and quarter mile drag a few times a year at the strip.
Hard decision....

Just need to pulley it harder and it will make the same if not more torque than a 2.3 TVS. I have a 2.5 upper for sale if you need it.

Users who are viewing this thread