2.9 Whipple guys (Crusher worth it?)

stangy2004

Established Member
I'm ordering a 2.9 whipple this week just trying to justify if the extra 1500 for the crusher is worth it. Pros and cons would be great from the people running these set ups. Thanks.

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
I do not have any personal experience, but i have seen a few with an without.

If you do not plan to race a lot, and run mostly pump gas, the 2.9 performs very well with the stock inlet. The higher the boost level, though, the more restriction it becomes. IF you plan on high boost levels, or a lot of power on e85/race fuel, shoot for the crusher.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I never ran without it so couldn't tell you the difference. Over the years I've compared numbers though with and without the crusher with other members. It seems those with the crusher inlets always show higher boost numbers with the same pulley combo. One can infer the huge inlet with less restriction is allowing the blower to draw in more air and create the higher boost numbers.

stangy2004

Established Member
The car will def see the track a handful of times each year. Car will most likely get a 93tune,torco tune and a high boost all out race fuel tune for the track. Maybe E85 at some point down the road.Just don't want to cut my self short by cheaping out.

Dragu1a

Established Member
stangy, have you ordered your blower yet? did you go with the standard or crusher? i just purchased a 2.9 crusher yesterday and am curious about how you did.

i'll have a 3" upper and 4lb lower with long tubes, e85 and a killer chiller. hoping to see some good numbers.

Redfire03

Established Member
I have a 2.9 crusher and it all depends on your goals... Unless you are going to build your motor, I don't think the crusher is going to be worth it. You will really need to push the blower 21+ lbs to see the real benefit of it in my opinion.

More importantly than power, your need to think about drivability. The massive intake and throttle body will take away some of the drivability of the car.

intermatic

Established Member
stangy, have you ordered your blower yet? did you go with the standard or crusher? i just purchased a 2.9 crusher yesterday and am curious about how you did.

i'll have a 3" upper and 4lb lower with long tubes, e85 and a killer chiller. hoping to see some good numbers.

very interested also...you're about a year ahead of me mod-wise. I hope you make a thread and post your results.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
More importantly than power, your need to think about drivability. The massive intake and throttle body will take away some of the drivability of the car.

Can you elaborate on this? I have the 2.9 crusher and cannot think of a single drivability issue. I will say that throttle body is so huge and leaks so much air (probably shoddy quality on the TB as I've heard others with different brands don't suffer to this extent) getting a good idle was a huge pain in the butt. I had to figure out all the tricks of fixing a hanging idle, adjusting the tune etc. to get a decent idle. But drivability, no issues.

cj428mach

Established Member
I don't have a crusher but my gt500 tb is identical in size to a crusher tb and I have no issues with it.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I don't have a crusher but my gt500 tb is identical in size to a crusher tb and I have no issues with it.

I recall. The fit and finish on your TB looked so much better too. I wish they weren't so expensive and I'd get one to experiment with.

ctgreddy

Established Member
My huge kb tb has zero idling issues. Any good tuner can get anything to drive good. Don't make your decision based on drivability. From the sounds of it you just need to go with the crusher. If you were content on pump gas standard inlet all the way. But since you said a max effort race gas or possibly e85 tune I'd suggest crusher.

BadSonicBlueSVT

Established Member
Can you elaborate on this? I have the 2.9 crusher and cannot think of a single drivability issue. I will say that throttle body is so huge and leaks so much air (probably shoddy quality on the TB as I've heard others with different brands don't suffer to this extent) getting a good idle was a huge pain in the butt. I had to figure out all the tricks of fixing a hanging idle, adjusting the tune etc. to get a decent idle. But drivability, no issues.

I agree 100% with this.

spray'n mach 1

Established Member
not my car but the numbers are off the same car on the same dyno.

Just got off the dyno

I have had all my dyno runs at the same dyno so here's your real world comparisons

Street tune 93 + 18* timing

2.9 standard inlet 3.5" pulley 18psi 666/572
2.3 whipple 2.75" 20psi 611/552
2.3 TVS 2.8" 18.5 psi 656/590

Race tune 104 or 109 + 19* timing

2.9 standard 682/601 3.2" pulley 21psi
2.9 crusher 710/620 3" pulley 21psi
2.3 TVS 681/642 2.6" pulley 21 psi
2.3 whipple 644/621 2.6" 24psi

PWORLDSTANG

Bring 'Em Out
Established Member
not my car but the numbers are off the same car on the same dyno.

Just got off the dyno

I have had all my dyno runs at the same dyno so here's your real world comparisons

Street tune 93 + 18* timing

2.9 standard inlet 3.5" pulley 18psi 666/572
2.3 whipple 2.75" 20psi 611/552
2.3 TVS 2.8" 18.5 psi 656/590

Race tune 104 or 109 + 19* timing

2.9 standard 682/601 3.2" pulley 21psi
2.9 crusher 710/620 3" pulley 21psi
2.3 TVS 681/642 2.6" pulley 21 psi
2.3 whipple 644/621 2.6" 24psi

it was good for 28 rwhp on race gas at 21psi

This test is inaccurate. That's not a true back-to-back comparison. The pulley was swapped from a 3.2'' to a 3'' pulley, which is where the power gains came from. That is an increase of just under 2 lbs of boost, which equates to almost exactly 28RWHP.

I recorded a 14RWHP gain per 1lb of boost on my 2.3L (28RWHP per 2lbs, or per Whipple pulley swap). Intervention302 with the SB recorded very similar gains at 14RWHP per 1lb of boost on his 2.9L. So to say that the crusher is good for 28RWHP is not correct. The correct answer is no one knows until someone performs an accurate back-to-back test.

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
Just curious, if your wanting more power from the 2.9 by adding the crusher, why not go with the 3.4 non crusher for only $100 more.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Will do.

What TB were you having issues with?

Whipple mono blade. It seals horrible. I went through 3 throttle bodies from Whipple till they got me one that sealed "mostly" OK. This was back in 2011 or so. Hopefully the quality has come up since then.

stangy2004

Established Member
Ended up ordering the 2.9 crusher this weekend with the black friday sale kind of hard not to.Most likely going e85 now.

Users who are viewing this thread