2.9 Whipple for the 03/04??

AaronK

Established Member
I remember hearing some rumors about this a while back but wasn't sure if there was any more information. Does anyone know if Whipple is planning on making the 2.9 for the 03/04 Cobra?

Ironhand

Banned
Search button man. A few threads have been started on this topic not to long ago either.

Whipple said 6 months to a year before a kit is put into development.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I believe Jared started working on the 2.9 application for the Terminator a couple of years ago. You might call him at Lethal Performance and see if he has some helpful info for you. Lethal is the biggest Whipple distributor by the way. Another reason to give him a call if you have questions regarding this 2.9 blower.

Just curious. What are the advantages of a Whipple 2.9L over the Whipple 3.4L for the '03-'04 Cobra?

Wayneo

Established Member
I read a couple years ago that whipple wasn't going to make a 2.9l for the 4.6. If I remember correctly they said they weren't because the 2.3l makes plenty of power for it boost range and anything more then that the 3.4 is available. Its kind of true, kennebell made the 2.2 all the up to the 2.8 and the change in power is not really that much unless your running a 2.8l, torco and 25 plus psi. The 03 cobra are pretty much maxed out around 650 to 680rwhp on pump gas, stock compression and a TS. Anything more you pretty much have to go Turbo or E85 to make more power.

Last edited:

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
Whipple said 6 months to a year before a kit is put into development.

Where did you get this info (directly from Whipple, Jared @ Lethal)? I'm not calling bullsh*t I just want to know if this is 100% true as I'm going to be in the market for a TS next spring/summer and would wait for a 2.9.

wilderyzed

Established Member
imo a 2.9 would be optimal for the street/strip guys the 2.3 is a tad too small to get over the 650 mark but the 3.4 is too big to sustain the torque on high hp apps. therefor a 2.9 is prime just like the 2.6 KB's Id sell my 2.3 for a 2.9 in a heartbeat but I wont for a 3.4 thats just me

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
imo a 2.9 would be optimal for the street/strip guys the 2.3 is a tad too small to get over the 650 mark but the 3.4 is too big to sustain the torque on high hp apps. therefor a 2.9 is prime just like the 2.6 KB's Id sell my 2.3 for a 2.9 in a heartbeat but I wont for a 3.4 thats just me
Exactly.

I'd hope that with the 2.9 there wouldn't be all the cutting/and or hood swapping along with the other necessary mods associated with the 3.4.

Ironhand

Banned
Where did you get this info (directly from Whipple, Jared @ Lethal)? I'm not calling bullsh*t I just want to know if this is 100% true as I'm going to be in the market for a TS next spring/summer and would wait for a 2.9.

I emailed Micheal at Whipple twice regarding both the 4.0L and the 2.9L for the 03-04 Cobras. The 4.0L should be out in a few months give or take. Once that project is done then Whipple is gonna put the 2.9L kit in development.

I even started a thread for it a while back.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...8-who-wants-whipple-w175ax-their-03-04-a.html

Last edited:

AaronK

Established Member
why is the 4.0 coming out first? i would think there would be a higher demand for the 2.9 :shrug:

That's my thinking as well. Maybe the 4.0 will have more efficient rotors?? I'm not opposed to the idea of putting the 4.0 on my 03 but it does seem a bit much for my little 4.6.

If they somehow make it as efficient/more efficient than the 3.4, than I'll get one. I would just like to see some numbers and statistics when it comes out.

liedenfrost

Established Member
Yeah, I'd definitly go with a 2.9L. The 3.4 does not fit without some significant modifications and I don't want to run 25+ psi. The stock pulley will make 25 psi! I'm looking to run 21-22 psi on E85. A 2.9 would be perfect if it installs and fits like a 2.3.

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
A 2.9 would be perfect if it installs and fits like a 2.3.
+1

If anyone at Whipple is reading this......FAST TRACK THE 2.9 KIT FOR US TERMINATOR OWNERS!!! I've got some money burning a hole in my pocket!!! :D

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
A 2.9 would be cool. I remember inquiring about this before and it was going to be awhile so I got the 2.3.

Users who are viewing this thread