2.9 Whipple Cobra whp ideal range

Eddie_Drift

Established Member
Im trying to figure out what pulley setup to run and what power we can shoot for, I have a tune date coming up and I'm trying to get this situated.
03 cobra short block, Melling oil pump, ARP head studs, KMS(stage 2) cams, Long tubes, full 3 inch off road exhaust, FIC1000 injectors on e85.
2.9 whipple non crusher with a 10 rib setup.
my goal was 800+ ball park.
With my 8 rib I have 3.50 and a 4lb lower, supposedly we should make 22 lbs.
Since I am converting to 10 rib I have the option to up the boost with a 3.3 or 3.2 upper which I'm debating on adding the extra lb or 2 of boost for added insurance we hit our mark.
Any thoughts or input?
Thanks.

01yellercobra

Established Member
A friend of mine made 706rwhp on RET's dyno with a 2.9 Whipple on a stock blower. He was right at 20psi. Your cams might help, but I think you'll need a crusher inlet to clear 800.

Eddie_Drift

Established Member
A friend of mine made 706rwhp on RET's dyno with a 2.9 Whipple on a stock blower. He was right at 20psi. Your cams might help, but I think you'll need a crusher inlet to clear 800.
I had a friend who was tuned by Gios Performance 2.9 Whipple non crusher with a 3.0 upper / 2lb lower that got to 800 whp.

I ended up ordering a 3.3 whipple pulley to run with my 4lb lower. Should make 23lbs so we'll see.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Stock compression?? You will need all the boost to break 800. I’d guess 24 psi to break 800.

My 2.8h KB with 22 psi, 10.3 CR made 820hp.

Eddie_Drift

Established Member
Stock compression?? You will need all the boost to break 800. I’d guess 24 psi to break 800.

My 2.8h KB with 22 psi, 10.3 CR made 820hp.
Good numbers.
Yeah friend did it with a stock motor. If I don't break 800 whp its not the end of the world. Come to think of it there's 2 other people i know that were at or just a hair under 800 whp with stock motor 2.9 non crusher setups. I should ask them.

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
A Gen2 standard hitting 800wheel on a stock comp engine isn’t real common. Even with cams, I don’t recall many hitting that. But then again, people didn’t start doing head studs very much until the last couple years it seems.

I don’t see how you’ll get there at 22psi. You’re really going to have to spin the shit out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Eddie_Drift

Established Member
A Gen2 standard hitting 800wheel on a stock comp engine isn’t real common. Even with cams, I don’t recall many hitting that. But then again, people didn’t start doing head studs very much until the last couple years it seems.

I don’t see how you’ll get there at 22psi. You’re really going to have to spin the shit out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
I ended up getting 3.3 upper so it should be more than 22lbs. Cams and long tubes, J2fab cooling flow mod hopefully help but we'll see.

lizrddk

Established Member
I’ve got a Gen 2 on pump gas that’s in the upper 6’s, thought about changing the fuel system and injectors and seeing where I can get it. I feel like the 800’s would be pushing it but mid to upper 7’s should be realistic.

Eddie_Drift

Established Member
I’ve got a Gen 2 on pump gas that’s in the upper 6’s, thought about changing the fuel system and injectors and seeing where I can get it. I feel like the 800’s would be pushing it but mid to upper 7’s should be realistic.
yeah I switched to e85 for all the pros, definitely worth it.

gtmustang00

Established Member
I made 800 rwhp with ported heads, cams, long tubes, 3.5 upper 4 lb lower. Boost was 21-22lbs I believe. 2.9 gen 2 non crusher.

Eddie_Drift

Established Member
I made 800 rwhp with ported heads, cams, long tubes, 3.5 upper 4 lb lower. Boost was 21-22lbs I believe. 2.9 gen 2 non crusher.
wow so pretty much identical setup besides the ported heads. I know people have done it, I'm trying to make sure I hit the mark. I actually ordered all the 10 rib setup and I am doing a 4lb lower with a 3.3 upper now instead of the 3.5 upper. 10 rib stuff comes in today and hopefully I can hit the dyno before the weekend.

Eddie_Drift

Established Member
We hit the dyno yesterday and it was a shitty day for a few reasons. It was 105* and humid, We had some issues data logging which we eventually figured out which was leading to the original problem which was the alternator was crapping out on us. Its a stock oem ford unit from my drift car that has been working fine for years. Only reason I had this stock unit on was because the high amp KMJ I originally got for this car was defective out of the box so I had to send it out for warranty. I figured this one would get us by on the dyno if we only used the basic necessities (2 fuel pumps, 2 engine fans, and SC water pump) which was still too much, so we had to not run the engine fans to get by which doesnt help our numbers with this heat. We were able to get the tuning wrapped up for the most part but when I took it on the street the car was losing voltage on wot pull and my ecu was wigging out(tach would drop to 0 rpm and I had dashes across the mileage)

I will need to bring it back with a new high amp alternator just so we can confirm everything is all good but if a revision is needed we'll do it, the plan is to bring it back on a cooler day and hit it again.

But for now it made 764 whp and 732 tq on 21 lbs

Last edited:

dan1982

Established Member
We hit the dyno yesterday and it was a shitty day for a few reasons. It was 105* and humid, We had some issues data logging which we eventually figured out which was leading to the original problem which was the alternator was crapping out on us. Its a stock oem ford unit from my drift car that has been working fine for years. Only reason I had this stock unit on was because the high amp KMJ I originally got for this car was defective out of the box so I had to send it out for warranty. I figured this one would get us by on the dyno if we only used the basic necessities (2 fuel pumps, 2 engine fans, and SC water pump) which was still too much, so we had to not run the engine fans to get by which doesnt help our numbers with this heat. We were able to get the tuning wrapped up for the most part but when I took it on the street the car was losing voltage on wot pull and my ecu was wigging out(tach would drop to 0 rpm and I had dashes across the mileage)

I will need to bring it back with a new high amp alternator just so we can confirm everything is all good but if a revision is needed we'll do it, the plan is to bring it back on a cooler day and hit it again.

But for now it made 764 whp and 732 tq

u gonna post the sheet?

Users who are viewing this thread