2.9 Gen 4 Whipple Boost Question

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
That’s exactly what I’ll be running except ID1050s and E85. Shit maybe I should just go with the 3.0 instead

you're inevitable going to start running into belt slip at some point when you start getting smaller on the pulley. Or you can try to put a lower pulley on.

1Bad04Mystic

Established Member
you're inevitable going to start running into belt slip at some point when you start getting smaller on the pulley. Or you can try to put a lower pulley on.
Yeah I figure that may be a problem, I’m throwing all the Double Bearing Metco Idlers on during the install as well.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I only have an auxiliary idler now, with a 2.8 upper and not had any issues, but I’m only on a ported blower at 500 hp right now haha big difference

you're stepping into a different world with a 2.9, night and day difference. buy the two 100mm and 90mm idler kits you can buy from pretty much anywhere

esonu

Established Member
Just double checked the dyno sheet. For others who would like to know
~18psi from what we seen on dyno day
3.5 pulley
100mm idlers and aux
Basic full bolt ons besides headers
E85
Id1050x
Full fore return setup

706rwhp 634rwtq

I’m more than happy with the results from the gen 4 standard inlet. I would say easily squeeze out 740-760rwhp with 22-24lbs of boost.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Just double checked the dyno sheet. For others who would like to know
~18psi from what we seen on dyno day
3.5 pulley
100mm idlers and aux
Basic full bolt ons besides headers
E85
Id1050x
Full fore return setup

706rwhp 634rwtq

I’m more than happy with the results from the gen 4 standard inlet. I would say easily squeeze out 740-760rwhp with 22-24lbs of boost.

Only 18psi? Damn. You wouldn't happen to know how much timing is in it would you? You pretty much have my set up.

Rambro

Established Member
I'll be doing a gen4 2.9 std inlet this summer. Probably going with a 3.2 or a 3.0 upper, stock lower. Currently running a stock maf with a mafia. Would it be worth it to upgrade from the mafia to say a sct meter? And if so what size?

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'll be doing a gen4 2.9 std inlet this summer. Probably going with a 3.2 or a 3.0 upper, stock lower. Currently running a stock maf with a mafia. Would it be worth it to upgrade from the mafia to say a sct meter? And if so what size?

I would. Easier to tune at least. I think the BA3000 is pretty common. Thats what I was running until I switched to the MS3. If you're running a high boost intake I think it is made to work with the BA2600.

1Bad04Mystic

Established Member

Like others have said that small of an upper with no lower, you may have a problem with belt slip. I’m going to start with the 3.5 on E85, then maybe jump to a 4lb lower at some point. BA3000 should be more than enough. I have a Mafia now, but I will be switching to the 3000 when the blower goes on.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Only 18psi? Damn. You wouldn't happen to know how much timing is in it would you? You pretty much have my set up.

I'm sure the timing is past 21 degrees....probably 22-23. I think most will get on a dyno, keep adding small amounts of timing as long as it keeps making more TQ.....then when it finally does not and drops TQ....go back to the previous timing that did. Done.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'm sure the timing is past 21 degrees....probably 22-23. I think most will get on a dyno, keep adding small amounts of timing as long as it keeps making more TQ.....then when it finally does not and drops TQ....go back to the previous timing that did. Done.
More than likely. But I'm always curious to know. If he's making that power on say 19-20 degrees then I'd say the blower is doing really good.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Subn for more results, really impressed with "TX03DSG" standard inlet numbers.

Although ever since i did the recent switch to E85 on my KB 2.6 setup, I've been very happy with the results.

I'm still been debating on stepping up to the more efficient Gen 4 but couldn't decide between standard inlet or crusher.

shznit

shznit
Established Member
I've been told there are no more kits that include the crusher inlet (new at least). It appears they sell the package separately but equates to $4300 for the Gen 4 + $2100 for the upgrade kit plus have to swap everything over. At that point it would make more sense to buy a Gen 5 3.0 all inclusive with the better rotor pack.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
I've been told there are no more kits that include the crusher inlet (new at least). It appears they sell the package separately but equates to $4300 for the Gen 4 + $2100 for the upgrade kit plus have to swap everything over. At that point it would make more sense to buy a Gen 5 3.0 all inclusive with the better rotor pack.

Yes sir you are correct! No doubt that Gen 5 is a bad-ass blower.

I was referencing some used kits on the market, one of my concerns was the crusher inlet requiring hood clearance, hence why i was leaning towards the standard inlet, and curious of its capabilities as to the OP.

shznit

shznit
Established Member
Makes sense.. the only reason it’s on my radar is I’m considering pulling the trigger on something soon. I’m a whipple guy at heart rocking an gen2 2.3.... recently updated tune and awaiting dyno time. But I also want to update my blower from 10 years ago lol... looking at this along with the soon to release 2.65 Gen3R. Lots of opinions about the VMP blower hitting harder on the bottom end and reducing IAT’s vs older set-ups.. just weighing my options

Users who are viewing this thread