2.76 Upper Pulley

Sergg

Established Member
Alright so I'm getting close to switching out the wagon wheel and going with an 2.76 upper, I noticed I cant install it if i keep the idlers stock.... So here's my question, Im completely stock and my car is a daily driver, Is an idler kit or other pulleys necessary if Im just changing the upper to a 2.76 and keeping the lower stock and if so which would ya'll recommend.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Why can't you have a 2.76 and no idlers? You probably do want the aux snub idler for belt wrap since the 2.76 is pretty small. All the other idlers are more for reliability the stock ones have been known to break. A lower pulley increases the odds since your increasing belt speed but my buddy broke one with just a 2.8 upper.

Brand is personal preference, I went LFP because they seemed like a good deal and I've been happy with them. Billetflow, Metco, etc all are good choices though.

Last edited:

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
why would you need to change your idlers ? you should be able to just do an aux like he said if you want to. i bought my idlers one at a time instead of the whole kit. it does a make a diff but its not required.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
You def want to add an aux snub idler to help with belt wrap. With a 2.76 you want to add a 100mm up top. As for replacing the stock idlers, don't do it at your own peril. The stock ones are absolute junk when compared to the aftermarket idlers. I've had three different brands of aftermarket idlers now and Metco double bearing are the nicest and best looking IMO.

Sergg

Established Member
Well I guess I'll just do it right the first time. I hate adding piece by piece. I feel that if I add piece by piece I wont feel as much of a gain as compared to doing it all at once.

Sergg

Established Member
Lol ofcourse, thats exactly why I dont want to do it piece by piece. A tune would be required after every piece I install. That would be way too many tunes!

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Lol ofcourse, thats exactly why I dont want to do it piece by piece. A tune would be required after every piece I install. That would be way too many tunes!

Just replacing idlers wouldn't change anything that would require a re-tune since it isn't increasing your boost level.

MysticRob

Established Member

WHITESTRIPES

Established Member
I run a 2.8 upper and 4lb lower with a ported blower with no aux idler and have ZERO belt slip. The only after market pulley I run is a bigger alternator pulley. I wouldn't wait too long for one of those, I smoked an alternator with just the upper.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yes, you can try to avoid installing an auxiliary idler, but the increased belt wrap just helps ensure you won't have belt slip. Why risk it? As far as the other idlers if they're stock, I can't say this often enough. If you're using the stock/junk stamped steel idlers, you're risking the misfortune of having one or more of your stock idlers blow apart. You wouldn't want to have it happen at 1AM out in nowhereland. Like RDP said, the quality of aftermarket billet idlers is so superior. No comparison. And as an added bonus, they look good! Just take a look at the Metco idlers. Eye candy and they do their job so well.

Sergg

Established Member
Alrighty, my next question is Would I be getting 3 100mm and 1 90 mm or the other way around?

mkb116

Established Member
I have a Billetflow 2.76 (black) a Billetflow snub idler with pulley (black) and the removal / install tool for sale if your interested. PM me. I went whipple.

Last edited:

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Alrighty, my next question is Would I be getting 3 100mm and 1 90 mm or the other way around?

Stockers are 90mm. I've never heard of a great reason to go to the 100mm for replacing the stock idlers. Basically just creates a little more belt contact and a little less bearing load (maybe). You do want a 100mm up top for the snub idler to go with a 2.76

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
piece by piece won't require a tune tune tune....not for idlers. the 2.76 yeah...
90mm for aux 100mm for the rest

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread