2.76 upper + 4lb Lower?

venumb

Local chump
Established Member
I thought about doing this to mine but didn't want to spin the internals through the casing or melt them. Kidding about them melting but you get the point about it getting so hot from overspinning.
I thought about maybe doing a 2lb lower or just going with a little bit bigger upper.

03TRKB

The LSX Swapped Guy
Established Member
That would be overspinning the blower, if I'm not mistaken. It's time for a port!

black-plasma

Established Member
it's not going to hurt anything, but if you are looking for an optimal setup for drag racing then that is not it and it has been proven many times.

mustang john

Established Member
I ran that setup unported for over a year and loved it! Still have the same combo now with the port and love it even more, the numbers dont lie!!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
A 2.76 with a 4 lb. lower makes for an inefficient setup with an unported Eaton. The law of diminishing returns sets in. If you're going to go with it, do yourself a huge favor, and your motor, by porting the blower. The major reason why porting is even done is because of the Eaton's inefficiency at higher boost levels (over 14 lbs.).

BBCOBRA

Established Member
Most would recomend not running the 4lb till you port it. I have a 2lb lower on mine and I know it is near the limit due to seeing the results on the dyno. first run to third run the hp drops off about 3-5 hp. When I was running the 2.76 upper only it did not do this. It would drop off 2 hp at most.
I have a 4.b lower for mine but I will wait till I port it to put it on.

707svt

Venom Feeder
Established Member
I was going this route but decided to go with a 2lb, with 16-17lb of boost its very close to the limit, the Eaton shouldnt run over 17lbs IMO, a 4lb will put you over and while it will run strong on a hot day heat soak will come very quick.

disasterpiece83

Got Beast?
Established Member
Yea i kinda thought so. im already hitting 16lbs of boost with just my 2.76. i kinda assumed that would be to much. is there any upside at all to running a bigger upper and throwing on the 4lb lower? i mean 16 lbs is 16 lbs right? is there any benefit at all or waiste of money? if so whats the best upper for a 4lb lower? i do not plan on porting my eaton as i will upgrade to either whipple 2.9 or kenne bell 2.8.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
Lower pulleys make for alot more TQ than upper only, thats about the only thing that would make a big difference switching to a bigger upper, and bigger lower

mustang john

Established Member
A #4 lower right now will just give you a ton more torque, makes part throttle on the street a lot of fun. Yes it will be out of breath up top, mine made 460rwhp 510rwtq with that pully setup unported (upper only made 455rwhp 475rwtq) and trapped 122 at the track with alittle ice. a 2.93 upper #4 lower is very popular combo also but the difference isnt much when you look at a blower speed chart. Either way its been proven over and over you can spin the crap out of an Eaton and it will live just fine, may not make great HP but the torque is fun!

disasterpiece83

Got Beast?
Established Member
A #4 lower right now will just give you a ton more torque, makes part throttle on the street a lot of fun. Yes it will be out of breath up top, mine made 460rwhp 510rwtq with that pully setup unported (upper only made 455rwhp 475rwtq) and trapped 122 at the track with alittle ice. a 2.93 upper #4 lower is very popular combo also but the difference isnt much when you look at a blower speed chart. Either way its been proven over and over you can spin the crap out of an Eaton and it will live just fine, may not make great HP but the torque is fun!

Wow! 510rwtq? that was 2.93 upper? doesnt sound like a bad deal. didnt realize the lower added so much torque. especially now i may have to wait for my TS. hearing a knock in the engine.

Users who are viewing this thread