2.5" vs 3" cat back

strats03svt

GOT FAST?
Established Member
Is there any advantaged/disadvantages btwn 2.5 and 3" c/b for a terminater.I would like to hear your opinions.There are not many 3" systems out there,why?

osmin c

Established Member
Ive heard that running too big an exhuast system will hurt your bottom end. Something about backpressure....

Anyone? Is this right?

Mystic03

Established Member
osmin c said:
Ive heard that running too big an exhuast system will hurt your bottom end. Something about backpressure....

Anyone? Is this right?

yes too big will kill your low end but favor your topend

ScareCrow

"Facts are stupid things"
Established Member
Unless your running rediculous hp , it isn't needed. Less backpressure will be a slight factor in low end , but might help slightly in the higher rpms.
Some say the 3" systems tend to be slightly louder than the 2.5" systems

2sick4v's

SonicBoom
Established Member
i think the 3" is probably a little deeper. id go with with a 2.5 i know guys with kb's and whipple's who run 2.5. if you get an aftermarket midpipe thats 2.5 all the way so thats pretty good.

SteelersVenom06

Fade to Black
Established Member
+1. Only reason I went 3" was I got a good deal on it. The exhaust note is typically deeper and I really didn't feel a bottom end loss although I'm sure I lost a bit of torque. It will all come back with the 2.76" :rockon:

The bottom line with exhausts is they all produce about the same power so find the exhaust combo that sounds good to you and go with it.

stangm89

WILD BILL
Established Member
i have the mac 3 in. with h&r race springs and i scrape on pretty much everything not sure how much a 2.5 exhaust would differ

whyte_03

I got your HEMI hanging!!
Established Member
i sport a custom 3 inch catback with dynomax muffs, this is all bolted to a stock h and it makes great power with a stock H.. but as soon as i threw the off road H i could no longer scratch 2nd gear... if you keep the stock h.. i 3 inch catback will help with power and not hurt anything!! i got the numbers to prove it.. peace

svt4u2nvy

Established Member
I also have Mac 3" the fitment on a 3" catback is horrible. I had to take it to a muffler shop to get the tips straight and had to have the bends modified to clear the gas tank.

It sounds MUCH deeper than other cobras. When paired with a UPR offroad x, the rasp + the deep Mac exhaust note = sex!!!!!!

TRUST ME ON THIS

s/c stang

Established Member
Well I just installed a 3in mac on my cobra to go along with my stainless works exhaust and it sounds sick...I will post video later on today..

04cobra13

Established Member
i run the m55 s full 3 in and i think it looks a lot better than a 2.5 in.....jmo..oh and i think they are a lil louder..

zeus201

Established Member
I also have Mac 3" the fitment on a 3" catback is horrible. I had to take it to a muffler shop to get the tips straight and had to have the bends modified to clear the gas tank.

It sounds MUCH deeper than other cobras. When paired with a UPR offroad x, the rasp + the deep Mac exhaust note = sex!!!!!!

TRUST ME ON THIS

+1 on this. I have Bassani midlength / or xpipe with Mac and I love the deep rumble plus the rasp when I get into. Nice and loud. :banana:

Users who are viewing this thread