2.4 upper and 15% lower with cams and pump gas??

U LOSE

Established Member
I know that running a upper and a lower is generally to much boost for pump gas. But I am about to install cams so this should lower the boost. Would it be ok to run both upper and lower with cams, since cams should drop my boost about 2lbs? Mod list below:
  • Old parts
  • CAI - 127mm JLT
  • TB - FRPP Monoblade
  • Upper - 2.4
  • Kooks headers
  • Catless X

• New parts
  • MMR shortblock (stock compression)
  • Cams - L&M NSR
  • ID1000
  • Boost-A-Pump

• Part in question
  • 15% lower
Thanks!

VNMOUS1

Established Member
I know that running a upper and a lower is generally to much boost for pump gas. But I am about to install cams so this should lower the boost. Would it be ok to run both upper and lower with cams, since cams should drop my boost about 2lbs? Mod list below:
  • Old parts
  • CAI - 127mm JLT
  • TB - FRPP Monoblade
  • Upper - 2.4
  • Kooks headers
  • Catless X

• New parts
  • MMR shortblock (stock compression)
  • Cams - L&M NSR
  • ID1000
  • Boost-A-Pump

• Part in question
  • 15% lower
Thanks!
May not fit your car. If you have any of the performance or track pack stuff it won't clear. A 10 will.

fwiw, I make 23psi on a stock cammed 5.4 with a 2.50/15 percent.

Assume a couple less with cams and larger displacement.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I was just going to say if your car is a track pack you will have a hard time doing a 15% lower. A 10% lower and 2.4 upper will 20+ psi but the cams and headers will help lower that. You should be making some awesome power.

U LOSE

Established Member
I thought you could run the 15% lower with the performance pack, you just had to do a little fab work. I'm fine with that if so. I have 100% confidence in my shops fabricating ability. But i might not want to pay for the labor if it is a huge deal.

U LOSE

Established Member
I'm also worried about spinning the blower to high and my IAT's going out of control.

ATI 15% lower (8.125) / 2.4 * 6800 motor RPM should put me at 23,020 blower RPM.

ATI 15% lower (8.125) / 2.4 * 7500 motor RPM should put me at 25,390 blower RPM.

I cannot find a good number for the stock crank diameter to see where I am at right now with blower RPM's.

dotmpeg

Established Member
The performance pack is just suspension and should have no problem running a larger lower pulley with it.

little-dw

Established Member
The performance pack is just suspension and should have no problem running a larger lower pulley with it.

with the track pack cars, a 15% lower would require you to modify the crank sensor tab so the balancer and belt will clear. the 15% is just a little too big (pics from birddocs post)

pregrind.jpg flangtogrind.jpg pulleydone2.jpg

dotmpeg

Established Member
The tab has to be ground down for both 10 and 15 lower pulley. The track pack cars have to be modified for the 15% lower. The fitting for the oil cooler has to be cut and welded at a different angle.

black13 gt500

Established Member
I'm curious on some boost and power numbers a combo like this can make on 93. I have a 2.4 upper and a 10% lower on a bps ported blower about to go on my built motor setup in a couple weeks it will be finished. I'll have ported heads, intake and custom cams but want to drive around on 93 and then switch to e85 when ready to make some power but I'm sure I'll keep it on e85 lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread