***2.3L Whipple/JLT High Boost Kit Results***

03rd SVT

Established Member
Ok guys, bare with me on this one. The purpose of this thread is to give the results after installing the new JLT High Boost kit on my car. Let me start by giving some details on the car.

2003 10th Anniversary Cobra

Basic Mods:
Built/Tuned by Boost Performance in Amarillo TX.
Bone Stock Motor
2.3L Whipple @ 23lbs
Built SRA
Full Exhaust
Return Style Fuel System
6-Speed
Bolt-ons/Supporting Mods
Sunoco 109 Unleaded

If you have specific questions about my setup, feel free to ask.

Ok, now onto the testing and results. I have been running the stock intake tube, C&L MAF housing, stock sensor, MAFia and a big K&N filter. The reason I never installed anything different is because I didn't like the looks of any kits on the market. I didn't want a metal tube that would get heat soaked, and none of the plastic kits looked good IMO. I talked with Jared at Lethal a few months ago and he told me JLT had a new kit they were about to release. This was exactly what I had been waiting for. So I forked up the coin for the new kit and I must say that it was well worth it.

To start with we wanted to get a baseline number. We strapped the car down and made a pull to the tune of 658/680. I was standing next to the car watching just the boost gauge. The gauge spiked to 23lbs, the slowly started to fade to 20lbs at around 5300-5500rpms.

4ac39279-4cda-2535.jpg

Ok, now that we have the baseline it was time to start the install of the JLT High Boost Kit with SCT's BA3000. The install took no time at all. It was pretty straight forward as a CAI install should be.

4ac39279-4f59-f586.jpg

We spent a good bit of time making sure we had a good A/F ratio before we made a full pull. We finally got it close to what we were at before and made the first pull with the JLT kit installed. 677/735!!! I could not believe the massive torque gains!!! It made 60+ more torque at 3k rpms!!

4ac39279-4f2f-6334.jpg

Once again, I watched the boost gauge. I was hoping that the added airflow might have helped with my boost drop issue. I wasn't so lucky. My belt is still slipping. Spiked to 23lbs and dropped to 20lbs again.

Now we decided to see if we could get this fixed. We went to the store and bought a shorter belt, swapped it out along with a idler pulley off a GT500 to fit with the tighter belt. I released the tensioner and the belt was SUPER tight now!!! We made a small adjustment to the tune too. Added just a little more fuel up top. The next pull netted us 681/724!! A/F was great, but the belt was still slipping. Did the exact same thing it had on the previous two pulls. 23lbs down to 20lbs by 5300rpms.

We gained 23hp and 44tq at the tires!!! I can't express how impressed I am with this new kit. We also looked at the downstream air temps from before and after. Run 1 was 125, run 2 with the new kit installed was 98!!! Amazing!!!

4ac39279-52de-4cb1.jpg

I'm sure there are some other details that I left out, but if you have any questions about the results, please feel free to ask away!!! If anyone is having second thoughts about buying one of the new JLT kits, DON'T!!! Do yourself a favor and let your car have some air!!!

I also want to give a Big thanks to Boost Performance in Amarillo TX for all the help with my car over the years!!!

Last edited:

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
Congrats hagg, those are killer numbers! Your torque is nearing mine now! I have the high boost too, but the previous model.

gabe1530

Banned
very nice, you have a lot of torque!! 8lb lower right?
i cant wait to get on of these new high boost kits.

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
Nice numbers! I'm really interested in this kit and have been waiting to see what it did with a 2.3l Whip but you are running that 8lb lower and 109 octane so your gains are probably not typical? Do you think I can expect similar gains?

How does the BA3000 MAF mount in the tube?

03rd SVT

Established Member
Nice numbers! I'm really interested in this kit and have been waiting to see what it did with a 2.3l Whip but you are running that 8lb lower and 109 octane so your gains are probably not typical? Do you think I can expect similar gains?

How does the BA3000 MAF mount in the tube?

I think you would probably see similar gains, but it's hard to tell. From all the testing and results I've seen posted it looks like everyone is seeing similar gains.

The sensor installs right into the tube. Everything is built right into the tube, and you simply pull the sensor out of the housing and install it in the tube with 2 screws. Nothing to it at all!!!

03rd SVT

Established Member
Im anxious too see the gains at the track! When will amarillo be open?

Opening day is March 17th. I'll be out there that weekend then probably headed to Dallas the weekend of Easter. I can't wait to see what it does. I've also got a TH400 on the way, but I want a 9 second slip before I do the swap!!!

Tucker

Great write up man. Thanks for all your hard work and posting the results.
It's so much better when a customer does the test and backs up what you seen.

Thanks
Jay

SlowYellow

Established Member
Great writeup man. I saw similar gains with mine as well. I went from the JLT RAI with 20 degrees in it to the new JLT next gen high boost and gained about 40 whp and 45 wtq with 18 degrees of timing. Can't even express how happy I am with mine, and glad to see someone else have awesome results. Also other than looking great, it sounds like a jet when you start it up if you are standing on the passenger side of the car, lol.

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Nice gains! JLT has made a kick ass product! Seems that 20 hp gains seem to be the norm. Just amazing!

03rd SVT

Established Member
Great write up man. Thanks for all your hard work and posting the results.
It's so much better when a customer does the test and backs up what you seen.

Thanks
Jay

I was glad to do it. I know that some people are debating if they want to step up to this NextGen design, so posting results like this might help people make their decision. I can't even express how happy I am with the performance of this new kit!!!

03rd SVT

Established Member
Great writeup man. I saw similar gains with mine as well. I went from the JLT RAI with 20 degrees in it to the new JLT next gen high boost and gained about 40 whp and 45 wtq with 18 degrees of timing. Can't even express how happy I am with mine, and glad to see someone else have awesome results. Also other than looking great, it sounds like a jet when you start it up if you are standing on the passenger side of the car, lol.

Yea, these kits are truly amazing!!! It says alot when your car made that much more power with less timing!!!

Users who are viewing this thread