2.3L Whipple finally installed on my '13 5.0

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
Been following this thread from post 1 and glad you got everything ironed out. The torque "curve" is insane and it seems like it's still making power right at 7k. Very cool. I bet it pulls like a freight train. Now get down to the track and let's see a 10.5 pass!!

It pulls NICE ... I love getting onto the freeway, merging is fun :D

Gabe - I've been watching this thread pretty close. I want to do a setup just like this on my car, and I'm very close to pulling the trigger myself. I have a few questions if you don't mind:

- Please confirm, your blower setup is simply a 2.3 Whipple, JLT CAI, stock GT500 TB, 3.25 pulley, and ID1000s? No boost-a-pump or other fuel system upgrades?
- Do you have any other mods at all? Exhaust? Stock cats still in place?
- What kind of tires are you running? How is the car to drive? Is it an animal / tire lathe, or still pretty comfortable to drive around every day?

How much was your tune from JDM?

Paul.

I ordered a tuner kit Whipple/Ford Racing 2.3L kit. Came with no injectors, no pulley, no tuner/tune.
I then got the ID1000 injectors (overkill for this power level but a great injector and leaves room for when/if I go for more power), the pulley (should've just gotten the 3.25" to begin with), and the JLT CAI. Not super-happy with the JLT, it rubs the hoodliner, the tube rubs onto the shield it comes with, and the tip of the filter hits the radiator cover. But for now it's gonna stay.
Exhaust has the resonators deleted and 11-12 GT500 mufflers. Stock otherwise.
Tires are currently 275/40/18 Continental DWS all-seasons, soon to be changed to 305/40/18 Nitto 555R's in the back.
The car could be driven to church, it's very docile and super smooth throttle, but you put your right foot down and things go by quickly :D
I'm actually pretty surprised how these tires are handling it, probably cuz the torque isn't super-high. But it's nice to be in a low gear puttering about, lay into the throttle and wake up a tire-frying beast :D
The JDM tune price ... I'm not sure if I got a special deal, so please contact Nick @ JDM and he'll get you a quote.
I thought it was more than fair, and a lower price than Lund, VMP, and others

How much boost are you seeing now with the 3.25" (82mm) and JLT? Congrats btw!

It's about 8 psi I think, but honestly I haven't looked at that gauge long enough to know for sure. When I plant it, the eyes get big and I look straight ahead, lol

sleek98

Established Member
... and the JLT CAI. Not super-happy with the JLT, it rubs the hoodliner, the tube rubs onto the shield it comes with, and the tip of the filter hits the radiator cover. But for now it's gonna stay.

Dont say that or tucker will be in here telling you that you cant install it correctly since he cant blame it on VMP.

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member

hand-filer

Established Member
Placed my order for a tune and pulley with Nick today. Thanks for making that a quick and easy process.
This thread had a big influence in making up my mind.

NickSezz

Established Member
Thanks guys we appreciate the business. It is a busy time of the year for us so any of those who order a tune please be patient and we will get you taken care of as soon as possible. At JDM we do tuning for not just Mustangs but we do Shelby's, Raptors, Lightnings, F-150 trucks, Cobra Jets and other Ford vehicles. Eco Boost tuning is coming soon as well. ; )

Paul.

Established Member
So I think the 2.3 Whipple kit is for me. My motor/driveline is 100% stock. Will I need to do anything else to install the kit? Will the cats survive?

Also, how much power (if any) is gained with the Ford dual 65mm throttle body, or the L&M billet throttle body?

I know this is counter to what most people are fans of, but I want my car to stay quiet. I hate noise. I'll deal with the blower whine at WOT, but I don't want loud exhaust so I'd rather keep my cats if I can. Will the clutch/driveshaft survive? I daily drive this car (although not very far) so street manners are paramount. I've had nasty/noisy/smelly cars, and I'm over it. I'm old and grumpy now.

Paul.

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
So I think the 2.3 Whipple kit is for me. My motor/driveline is 100% stock. Will I need to do anything else to install the kit? Will the cats survive?

Also, how much power (if any) is gained with the Ford dual 65mm throttle body, or the L&M billet throttle body?

I know this is counter to what most people are fans of, but I want my car to stay quiet. I hate noise. I'll deal with the blower whine at WOT, but I don't want loud exhaust so I'd rather keep my cats if I can. Will the clutch/driveshaft survive? I daily drive this car (although not very far) so street manners are paramount. I've had nasty/noisy/smelly cars, and I'm over it. I'm old and grumpy now.

Paul.

Hi Paul ... nothing wrong with being old and grumpy, it happens to all of us, lol.
My engine is stock other than the blower and the new injectors, the trans is stock (although I had the fluid changed at 10k miles with some custom-blended stuff), the rear-end is stock Torsen 3.73 stuff (although, again, I had the fluid changed at 10k miles with some custom-blended fluid), and the driveshaft is a 1-piece aluminum DSS unit, just for safety's sake. Also have a front Metco driveshaft safety loop.
Exhaust has the stock cats in place, resonators deleted and '11-'12 GT500 mufflers.
Seems to be flowing just fine :)

Can't say how much more power a different TB would produce since I have no idea, but I'm pretty sure I haven't reached the limits of the twin-60 mm GT500 TB that came with the kit just yet.

The blower whine is pretty much non-existent from what I hear, if staying with the regular airbox-style intake set-up, but that also costs about 20-40 hp, depending on who you ask.
I wanted to hear the whine, so I splurged for the CAI mainly for that, lol

The car drives stock-smooth when you want it to, or put your right foot down and a completely different animal emerges :D

NickSezz

Established Member
Correct. A closed air box will be much quieter than an open filter kit. A throttle body will definitely pick up power but is usually not needed on these cars since you can max out the stock fuel system and what we suggest is safe on the factory internals without upgrading.

I can do this kit http://www.teamjdm.com/2011-2014-mustang-gt-5-0-whipple-650-hp-power-package/ without the JLT intake for $6,759 shipped. All you need is some custom tuning to make that complete.

If you wanted to run a bigger throttle body I would probably run the 3.375 pulley.

NickSezz

Established Member
The Roush intake is pretty much the same deal. I do not have any before and after comparisons but I would imagine it would be similar to the JLT. The only problem with the Roush intake is that it will max out the stock MAF sensor at when using an 80mm Roush or 79mm VMP pulley and mild tune up or Whipple with 3.125 pulley with mild tune up. The 82mm and comparable Whipple 3.25 pulley will be close as well so we use the JLT 123mm kit when possible for some more room. The fact that the Roush tuner kit now comes with their CAI setup is kind of a bummer if you ask me. For those who want the fit and finish of the Roush CAI they can buy it separate and those who want to make big power can look elsewhere for a large enough intake. It is hard to justify throwing a $600 CAI to the side but for most it should suffice.

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
The Roush intake is pretty much the same deal. I do not have any before and after comparisons but I would imagine it would be similar to the JLT. The only problem with the Roush intake is that it will max out the stock MAF sensor at when using an 80mm Roush or 79mm VMP pulley and mild tune up or Whipple with 3.125 pulley with mild tune up. The 82mm and comparable Whipple 3.25 pulley will be close as well so we use the JLT 123mm kit when possible for some more room. The fact that the Roush tuner kit now comes with their CAI setup is kind of a bummer if you ask me. For those who want the fit and finish of the Roush CAI they can buy it separate and those who want to make big power can look elsewhere for a large enough intake. It is hard to justify throwing a $600 CAI to the side but for most it should suffice.

Good to know about the Roush. A friend is using it on his Roush kit and he's pretty much at 600 rwhp too (hasn't dyno'd it in a while and been revised a couple of times since then).

But I was talking about comparing the JLT to the FRPP intake ...

This one:

FRPP_CAI.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread