2.3L Whipple finally installed on my '13 5.0

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
JDM tune just arrived via e-mail, already loaded it and the throttle issue is FIXED !!!!

I can't believe how stock-like the throttle pedal feels now!!

Only thing that sucks is that in a few minutes I'm leaving for North Carolina to bring a car to my girlfriend's son that's in the Army down there ... flying back tomorrow.
I know which car we're taking to dinner tomorrow night :D

Thanks again Nick for all your assistance and help

mystickb1996

Established Member
talk about a success story! and this is why you get a vary reputable shop to tune these cars, good job JDM. Op great choice on blower, it looks great under there and clean install. im glad you got everything worked out with the tune as im sure you were frustrated as hell

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
talk about a success story! and this is why you get a vary reputable shop to tune these cars, good job JDM. Op great choice on blower, it looks great under there and clean install. im glad you got everything worked out with the tune as im sure you were frustrated as hell

Thanks man, yeah it sucked to be looking out at a sweet car with all that work done to it and not be able to drive it.
A simple download/upload later, she's all better :)

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
Got it on the dyno to see the initial numbers of the email JDM tune, got 560RWHP, 456RWTQ

Going by the in-car boost gauge, it shows boost at 7-8psi during most of the run, with a spike to 10 psi at the end

Video coming tomorrow

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
Tq seems a little low, do u have a pic of the graph ?

Mostly seeing 6-8 psi on the boost gauge. Seems low to me, could it be because of the stock cats?

2014-04-04_dyno-560-456_zps1ecc256b.jpg

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
Also, does anybody know what the normal operating oil pressure is for the 5.0?

Fully warmed up and idling I'm seeing about 40-50 psi, but while cruising/on the gas it approaches and sometimes goes over 100 psi

NickSezz

Established Member
Looks like the dyno operator either rolled onto the throttle or the clutch was slipping a bit in the low RPMs. That may have skewed numbers just a tad. This is about what I would expect for our base file (safe). The 3.375 pulley on the Whipple is comparable to a Roush TVS with the 85mm pulley. If you drop down to the 3.25 pulley you will see boost pick up to 9-10psi and pick up about 20 more hp and 30tq on the same tune.

The dyno operator also cut the run short. The car will pull all the way to 7400 possibly increasing your peak power number as is.

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
Looks like the dyno operator either rolled onto the throttle or the clutch was slipping a bit in the low RPMs. That may have skewed numbers just a tad. This is about what I would expect for our base file (safe). The 3.375 pulley on the Whipple is comparable to a Roush TVS with the 85mm pulley. If you drop down to the 3.25 pulley you will see boost pick up to 9-10psi and pick up about 20 more hp and 30tq on the same tune.

The dyno operator also cut the run short. The car will pull all the way to 7400 possibly increasing your peak power number as is.

Thank you Nick ... I have a video of the pull that resulted in this sheet, and he definitely didn't roll into it, but he has told me in the past that my clutch gets soft after a pull. The video i emailed you was the second pull, after the car sat about 15 minutes after the first pull. He went to 7k on that pull.

I am already thinking of that 3.25" pulley ... I want moar powa! Lol

Cobra 2997

Established Member
Mostly seeing 6-8 psi on the boost gauge. Seems low to me, could it be because of the stock cats?

2014-04-04_dyno-560-456_zps1ecc256b.jpg

That's a nice smooth dyno graph for a mail order tune !! How's the throttle response ? Do you really need to get into the throttle before "feeling" any boost ? I have a Roush TVS and it's a little soft, even with their Phase 2 set up.

I need to give Nick at JDM a call !!

Last edited:

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
That's a nice smooth dyno graph for a mail order tune !! How's the throttle response ? Do you really need to get into the throttle before "feeling" any boost ? I have a Roush TVS and it's a little soft, even with their Phase 2 set up.

I need to give Nick at JDM a call !!

Throttle response is great, very linear.

I get more response pretty quickly. Laying into the throttle brings up boost pretty much right away if I floor it ... but I could putt-putt around and not see boost all day if I wanted to ...

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
Windows closed whining :D

[youtube_browser]ugEeZqnbkIE[/youtube_browser]

Gabe9195

Whippled Coyote
Established Member
Got the smaller 3.25" pulley installed a couple days ago and loaded the revised JDM tune.
Felt stronger and today I got my feelings verified.
Went from 560 rwhp & 456 rwtq with the 3.375" pulley to 591 rwhp and 505 rwtq with the 3.25" :)

I'd say I'm pretty stoked with those numbers

And of course, a video :D

[youtube_browser]fvEreNrVLbQ[/youtube_browser]

And the old-vs-new numbers ... 560/456 w/3.375" pulley, 591/505 w/3.25" pulley :)

2014-04-29_dyno-6_zps41dacb38.jpg

Last edited:

Joey8

Established Member
Got the smaller 3.25" pulley installed a couple days ago and loaded the revised JDM tune.
Felt stronger and today I got my feelings verified.
Went from 560 rwhp & 456 rwtq with the 3.375" pulley to 591 rwhp and 505 rwtq with the 3.25" :)

I'd say I'm pretty stoked with those numbers

And of course, a video :D

[youtube_browser]fvEreNrVLbQ[/youtube_browser]

And the old-vs-new numbers ... 560/456 w/3.375" pulley, 591/505 w/3.25" pulley :)

2014-04-29_dyno-6_zps41dacb38.jpg

Been following this thread from post 1 and glad you got everything ironed out. The torque "curve" is insane and it seems like it's still making power right at 7k. Very cool. I bet it pulls like a freight train. Now get down to the track and let's see a 10.5 pass!!

Paul.

Established Member
Gabe - I've been watching this thread pretty close. I want to do a setup just like this on my car, and I'm very close to pulling the trigger myself. I have a few questions if you don't mind:

- Please confirm, your blower setup is simply a 2.3 Whipple, JLT CAI, stock GT500 TB, 3.25 pulley, and ID1000s? No boost-a-pump or other fuel system upgrades?
- Do you have any other mods at all? Exhaust? Stock cats still in place?
- What kind of tires are you running? How is the car to drive? Is it an animal / tire lathe, or still pretty comfortable to drive around every day?

How much was your tune from JDM?

Paul.

Users who are viewing this thread