2.3L vs 2.9L Whipple recommendations

slow98cobra

Established Member
So my update. After talking to my tuner, my returnless setup even with the fore hat and improved pumps is not going to be enough to really make the number I was seeking especially trying to run E. Going to have to purchase the rest of the return kit as well. To reiterate the general consensus on the site, buy once and cry once when upgrading fuel systems. My setup works great on a ported pullied eaton on E but just not enough for the twin screw.

I pulled the trigger on ordering a Whipple and my CC was declined. Yep, straight declined. I forgot there is a daily POS limit on my card, haha. Waiting on that to get raised and hopefully I get my 5x points in rewards as well.

PC03GT

Established Member
So my update. After talking to my tuner, my returnless setup even with the fore hat and improved pumps is not going to be enough to really make the number I was seeking especially trying to run E. Going to have to purchase the rest of the return kit as well. To reiterate the general consensus on the site, buy once and cry once when upgrading fuel systems. My setup works great on a ported pullied eaton on E but just not enough for the twin screw.

I pulled the trigger on ordering a Whipple and my CC was declined. Yep, straight declined. I forgot there is a daily POS limit on my card, haha. Waiting on that to get raised and hopefully I get my 5x points in rewards as well.
So what are you getting the 2.3 or 2.9?

slow98cobra

Established Member
So what are you getting the 2.3 or 2.9?
You caught that side step. I had the 2.9 in my cart from yesterday and just hit buy today after talking to sleeper. Once he mentioned that I’ll need to go farther with pumps and switch to return I started going through the “F it” justification in my mind of let’s just go full send on E. Nothing is bought yet but a 2.3 could be thrown on my car on lower boost for a bit and make more power than my current eaton with my fuel setup while I get the return kit setup.

Different note, it’s cool to read through this topic from old threads through the years. From the days of don’t go smaller than a 2.93 pulley then Steig and Posi port wars, to the Fore and DivisionX days. A lot of us are still around and may be on our 2nd or 3rd car or went to a gt500. I obviously started with a 98 Cobra on spray then have now been through 3 different 03 cobras. Life happens such as having kids, moving, switch jobs, but several of us just end up picking up where we left off years before.

MG0h3

Established Member

You can make 600rwhp on the stock pumps with a BAP and injectors.

Going return and E is the way to go.

You can do the electrical part for $15 bucks. Two 40A relays. That’s all the Fore “controller” is. Two packaged relays.

There’s a wrote up in the Terminator How to “how to wire pumps for factory prime” or something like that.

If you have the hat you just need some hose, regulator, Hobbs switch if desired, and the connector to the stock rails. Least expensive way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

LS WUT

Established Member
You can make 600rwhp on the stock pumps with a BAP and injectors.

Going return and E is the way to go.

You can do the electrical part for $15 bucks. Two 40A relays. That’s all the Fore “controller” is. Two packaged relays.

There’s a wrote up in the Terminator How to “how to wire pumps for factory prime” or something like that.

If you have the hat you just need some hose, regulator, Hobbs switch if desired, and the connector to the stock rails. Least expensive way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
So when you gonna install yours bubba? :D

slow98cobra

Established Member
Well this escalated quickly. Went from just hoping to make low to mid 600s to now ordering the 2.9L and getting the process started on completing the Fore return kit.

I guess Im going to shoot for low 700s now. I hope Uncle Joe sends us some vote for me money.

TerminatorCobraJP

Established Member
Well this escalated quickly. Went from just hoping to make low to mid 600s to now ordering the 2.9L and getting the process started on completing the Fore return kit.

I guess Im going to shoot for low 700s now. I hope Uncle Joe sends us some vote for me money.
Same lol. I was planning on doing a smaller pulley on the a stock Eaton with a few bolt ons and now I have a Whipple and I'm going to be getting a return system. Never planned on any of this

Sent from my SM-S536DL using the svtperformance.com mobile app

slow98cobra

Established Member
It gets out of hand quickly!

My wife said do whatever you want so I’m taking that as the go ahead. If she says anything later, I will repeat her exact words. I plead ignorance.

The deciding factor was really my limit on my fore hat with GT pumps. They wouldn’t be able to flow enough to get to the mid to high 600s on my E tune so if I have to redo that anyway, I might as well get some extra headroom.

PC03GT

Established Member

My wife said do whatever you want so I’m taking that as the go ahead. If she says anything later, I will repeat her exact words. I plead ignorance.

The deciding factor was really my limit on my fore hat with GT pumps. They wouldn’t be able to flow enough to get to the mid to high 600s on my E tune so if I have to redo that anyway, I might as well get some extra headroom.
04sleeper is a FORE dealer, he can probably get you a good price

TerminatorCobraJP

Established Member
Is the 2.9 a standard inlet or crusher inlet? If it's a standard inlet you may want to think twice before ordering as that inlet is going to be a restriction going forward.
I think only the 3.0L can be ordered with the Crusher inlet these days. I've still seen some Cobra's with standard inlet 2.9s making over 800WHP though.

Sent from my SM-S536DL using the svtperformance.com mobile app

slow98cobra

Established Member
Is the 2.9 a standard inlet or crusher inlet? If it's a standard inlet you may want to think twice before ordering as that inlet is going to be a restriction going forward.
It’s the standard inlet. I didn’t see a crusher option on the site for the 2.9. For $3800, felt like it was a solid deal for a Gen IV.

My all-season Nankang tires are going to get a work out.

Bullitt1448

Established Member

My wife said the same thing, probably not realizing what that meant, seriously deep into 5 figures now, and she still hasn’t said anything, yes, she sees the real receipts.
The worst part for me as far as going fast, is some punk in a battery powered AWD piece of crap can kick your butt in his mom’s SUV stop light to stop light

01yellercobra

Established Member
The worst part for me as far as going fast, is some punk in a battery powered AWD piece of crap can kick your butt in his mom’s SUV stop light to stop light
And anyone that catches that race won't have any clue what you were racing because no one will care about the quiet car.

WidowrRacing

Established Member
Great thread!
I like reading opinions on these blowers from owners that actually own them.
I’m still rockin a pullied Heaton on my Termy and starting to get gapped by newer NA stuff with bolt ons and tunes on a regular.

As tempting as the price is for the Whipple 2.3 on sale it’s the other supporting mods that I would need that get expensive. (fuel, clutch, input shaft, head cooling mod, tune, etc) especially in Canada.
I also have a 10th so not sure I want to go down that rabbit hole for mods with it.

I have a fox body for play and it’s a beast. It’s more set up for drag but a street car that I recently converted to auto with a 4R70W trans.

Users who are viewing this thread