2.3L vs 2.9L Whipple recommendations

slow98cobra

Established Member
Good morning,

Almost pulled the trigger on a new Whipple last night but paused. I’m wanting to get my car to mid 600s rwhp and just have a nice fun street car. Currently have Fore lvl1 with twin GT pumps(still returnless), ID1050xs, Black306 modified FPDM, billetflow SBTB, and other various mods currently on the car with a tune by @04sleeper

I’m debating between the 2.3L or the 2.9L on Lethal’s website. Just kind of curious if you all would buy the 2.3 or 2.9. Money is a factor for me hence the reason I’m looking now. Just heard that the 2.9 feels a little sluggish compared to the 2.3 unless it is spun at higher boost levels. Have no clue if that is true or not.

Available fuel in my area is E70-80ish and 91. I would like to make low 600s on the 91 and mid to high on E.

Thoughts?

LS WUT

Established Member
I had a Ford Racing Whipple on my Redfire cobra. I made low 700’s, but I was pushing way too much power. Could have been a happy Dyno too. I’d suggest a 2.3 if it were me. However I know a guy who just got himself a new blower. @CobraVenom01 he can speak to how he likes his on the current combo.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
I've had plenty of 2.3 and 2.9 cars. Currently running a 2.9 set up and there isn't anything sluggish about it. I will say its more blower than I need for what I use the car for. I gotta admit, I only really bought it because it looks badass.

Out of all the set ups I've had over the years, my favorite would be the 2.3 TVS. It was great on pump gas and E-85. Packed a nice punch and made 600ish on 93, 700 with e85. Removeable inlet was also a huge plus.

If it were me I'd be looking for a used VMP TVS with the GT500 set up.

LS WUT

Established Member
I've had plenty of 2.3 and 2.9 cars. Currently running a 2.9 set up and there isn't anything sluggish about it. I will say its more blower than I need for what I use the car for. I gotta admit, I only really bought it because it looks badass.

Out of all the set ups I've had over the years, my favorite would be the 2.3 TVS. It was great on pump gas and E-85. Packed a nice punch and made 600ish on 93, 700 with e85. Removeable inlet was also a huge plus.

If it were me I'd be looking for a used VMP TVS with the GT500 set up.
I was just about to tag you. Good man!

slow98cobra

Established Member
Man, that 2.3 TVS seems to be the ticket. To find an excellent condition one seems to be about as difficult as find the old 2.2 KB. I saw Justin mention he still has the casting for it. I bet that would sell pretty good if he made another run. 20 years later, the market is pretty small now for cars that are still surviving that haven’t already been upgraded so I get it. I would just like a brand new one!

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
Man, that 2.3 TVS seems to be the ticket. To find an excellent condition one seems to be about as difficult as find the old 2.2 KB. I saw Justin mention he still has the casting for it. I bet that would sell pretty good if he made another run. 20 years later, the market is pretty small now for cars that are still surviving that haven’t already been upgraded so I get it. I would just like a brand new one!
They pop up for sale once in a while. If I end up getting a second cobra I'm absolutely putting a VMP on it.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
I know of a 2.3 VMP that will be for sale soon. I don't think it has a GT500 set up though. A local guy just purchased the new VMP with the black friday sales.

CobraVenom01

Established Member
Premium Member
I’m going from a gen 2 whipple 2.3 to a 3.0. I was making right at 600rwhp with the 2.3 on 16lbs. Was going to do a 2.75 upper and 2lb lower for 21lbs but didn’t want to deal with the heat from that much boost on that blower.

If your looking for low to mid 600s the 2.3 will get you there easy. If you want high 700-800s the bigger blower will do it easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slow98cobra

Established Member
I know of a 2.3 VMP that will be for sale soon. I don't think it has a GT500 set up though. A local guy just purchased the new VMP with the black friday sales.
I’ll let you know if I don’t end up pulling the trigger. The shine of a new blower is appealing. Still haven’t decided yet. Seems to be mixed responses. I started leaning toward the 2.9l but worried the basic boost with the 3.5 pulley at 18 # would be too much for 91 octane.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I’ll let you know if I don’t end up pulling the trigger. The shine of a new blower is appealing. Still haven’t decided yet. Seems to be mixed responses. I started leaning toward the 2.9l but worried the basic boost with the 3.5 pulley at 18 # would be too much for 91 octane.
I stayed at 18psi on my 2.9 with 91 for close to a year. Cleared 600hp on that tune too.

TerminatorCobraJP

Established Member
I ended up buying a 2.3 Whipple a couple days ago. My goal is to make around 700WHP on E but I think I'll be pretty much maxing out the blower at that point. As hard as I'll be spinning that blower to make that much power it should pack a punch and hit hard. I too have heard that when spinning a big blower slow it is sluggish but I can't speak from experience.

Sent from my SM-S536DL using the svtperformance.com mobile app

PC03GT

Established Member
I ended up buying a 2.3 Whipple a couple days ago. My goal is to make around 700WHP on E but I think I'll be pretty much maxing out the blower at that point. As hard as I'll be spinning that blower to make that much power it should pack a punch and hit hard. I too have heard that when spinning a big blower slow it is sluggish but I can't speak from experience.

It will be fun for sure, and congrats on the new blower

TerminatorCobraJP

Established Member
It will be fun for sure, and congrats on the new blower
Thanks! I definitely wasn't planning on going this route this soon. There's still a lot of supporting mods my car needs before I'm ready to swap the blower on but I saw the Black Friday deal and just couldn't pass it up.

PC03GT

Established Member
Thanks! I definitely wasn't planning on going this route this soon. There's still a lot of supporting mods my car needs before I'm ready to swap the blower on but I saw the Black Friday deal and just couldn't pass it up.

Don't worry Whipple isn't in a hurry lol

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Good morning,

Almost pulled the trigger on a new Whipple last night but paused. I’m wanting to get my car to mid 600s rwhp and just have a nice fun street car. Currently have Fore lvl1 with twin GT pumps(still returnless), ID1050xs, Black306 modified FPDM, billetflow SBTB, and other various mods currently on the car with a tune by @04sleeper

I’m debating between the 2.3L or the 2.9L on Lethal’s website. Just kind of curious if you all would buy the 2.3 or 2.9. Money is a factor for me hence the reason I’m looking now. Just heard that the 2.9 feels a little sluggish compared to the 2.3 unless it is spun at higher boost levels. Have no clue if that is true or not.

Available fuel in my area is E70-80ish and 91. I would like to make low 600s on the 91 and mid to high on E.

Thoughts?

I have data, but to keep things short, the VMP 2.3 > Whipple

I removed a Whipple 2.9 and installed a 2.3 VMP way back in the day on my '04.

On another '04, I ran a 2.3 Whipple w/ 4# lower

For a street car on pump gas, I prefer a TVS or the smaller Whipple over a larger Twinscrew.
It hits where most people are having fun; low to midish RPM's

On all my Shelbys, 11-13, a 2.3 TVS was my preferred

Users who are viewing this thread