2.3 whipple gains from 3" exhaust

Five-o-Joe

Established Member
disclaimer right out of the gate is that I changed from a BA2600 meter to the 4.5" JLT tube In addition to switching from 2.5" exhaust to full 3" all the way back. Just these two changes picked up 45rwhp peak. Went from 671 to 716 with no loss in peak torque which remained at 720.

But there's more to the story......where previously, the power would drop off over 5400, now the power increases up to 6000 and maintains over 710 whp through 6700 rpm where I let out. At 6700 the car now makes 77rwhp more than before.

Big gains from only 2 changes......

Before spending the $ on 3" exhaust, I searched and searched for real world back to back Dyno comparisons of 2.5" to 3" exhaust on the same car on the same Dyno. I didn't find anything definitive, so Posting this for anyone looking for the same.......

Last edited:

Five-o-Joe

Established Member
In my searches I found a lot of people that theorized that there would be gains going from 2.5" to 3"....just dint find any that had done it and had evidence to share.

Posting this for anyone looking for experience over theory....

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
thanks for posting this......

NOW, just to verify, based on your sig thats a 5.0L Stroker with cams, correct? I only ask because for newer members rocking a stock 4.6 may not get those types of gains.

Five-o-Joe

Established Member
Yes, you are correct. The motor is a 5.0L with cams. Any change whatsoever between my combination and any other members may not produce the same results.

Recon

Established Member
All an engine is a pump. Pump more air in and flow more air out = more power. Obviously there’s many more variables to consider but that’s putting it in the very basic of terms.

Pick your poison.

Five-o-Joe

Established Member
Update: Went to the local 1/8 mile track a couple weeks back to test out the new combo. I just ran it on drag radials since the engine, trans, rear end, everything is new to this car and I was just there to shake things out. I ran on Mickey Thompson 275-50-15 drag radials. I made 3 passes and was getting faster every pass but never did get to make an "all out pass" where I launched the car hard and power shifted every gear. I was very pleased with it and it was getting faster every pass...Even still, it ran 6.53 at 112 on a pretty easy pass with only a 1.66 sixty foot. 6 speed!

Users who are viewing this thread