2.3 Whipple- adding nitrous

TurboGA

Established Member
I have a build motor with 10:5 compression on E85. It does have a return style fuel system. Wanted to spray a 50-75 wet shot thru the blower. I have the ability to take out timing thru my SCT Tuner. I want the cooling affects of the nitrous. Main question is is it necessary to pull timing with such a small shot. I’m already running cooler plugs too, may gap them just a little tighter. Any guys running nitrous would appreciate some tips

01yellercobra

Established Member
Even a small shot is exponential in a blower set up. I've seen guys run a 50 shot and get close to 100hp. I'm sure it has to do with the cooling affect as well. I would definitely pull timing. Even if it's just to get started.

Make sure you log everything at first.

Last edited:

03' White Snake

Established Member
My brothers cobra sprays a 75 shot thru the EATON. He has a plate setup between the TB and Plenum. He has a nitrous tune and a regular tune. Only uses the nitrous tune for the track. (which is very limited). The car runs rich on the tune without nitrous, don't want it going lean on the initial hit of nitrous. So I suggest you look into doing the same thing. His car doesn't make much more power, 25 or so, but makes a crap ton more tq on spray. Could be he is only running a small upper only.

Have to let a tuner chime in on the timing part.

MG0h3

Established Member
Isn’t the nitrous hard on the coating on the impeller/screws? (Not sure what they are referred to on our blowers)

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

TurboGA

Established Member
I may want to start with 50 shot. Maybe pull 2 degrees of timing to start. I do have an air/fuel gauge to monitor ratio when on bottle. Any more info would be greatly appreciated

01yellercobra

Established Member
Isn’t the nitrous hard on the coating on the impeller/screws? (Not sure what they are referred to on our blowers)

I think it's the methanol that's hard on the impellars.

MG0h3

Established Member
If Kevin chimes in, I’d be interested in seeing if you could run one tune but not always have the nitrous hitting.

01yellercobra

Established Member
On a stock ECU you'd need two tunes. One for nitrous and one for "normal". There's no way for one tune to be optimized for both. Even with a stand alone you'd need a switch or something to change between the tunes. Just no flashing required.

We set my buddies charger up for spray and when he didn't have the nitrous going it was a dog. He had to switch it up depending on what he was planning.

I'm not a pro. Just what I've learned. To be honest I'd just drop a couple pulley sizes and be done with it.

Rambro

Established Member
I bought my car with a nitrous kit already installed, never sprayed it. Mine was set up to spray “dry” before the maf, which should richen it up a bit. I want to say you can spray up to a 50~75 shot in front of the maf with no tune changes. Anything higher, pull some timing.

TurboGA

Established Member
I have a wet kit. It will activate at full throttle. It’s at 16 lbs of boost right now with about 22 degrees of timing. I think I’m going to pull out 2 degrees with a 50 shot. Will gap plugs to around .26. Try it here as a starting point

Users who are viewing this thread