2-3 shift fixes?

FastRedPonyCar

Powered by Cuisinart
Established Member
the barton bracket fixed it for me

iddoU.jpg

I got tired of accidentally shifting from 2nd into 5th or hitting the gate between 3rd and 5th. It would only occur at WOT acceleration and happened a few times when I test drove a couple of the 5.0's when I was shopping around.

I figured it was just me but once I started to read more and more on forums, it seemed like the shoddy OEM bracket was the cause of that particular problem for most guys.

Ultrakla$$ic

WhoFlungPoo
Established Member
I shimmed my MGW by adding two washers to the passenger side of the two post mount to fix my second gear lock out. I haven't had a lock out since. Shim mod

This is VERY interesting. I believe there is something to this for sure.

I picked up a VERY lightly used MGW shifter from a friend of mine and he raced his car all the time so the car saw redline quite often. 2 transmissions and 2 clutches worth........not all of this on the MGW shifter though.

Anyways, I was inspecting the MGW while I was installing it on my car and the little white polyurethane? bushings for wear and I noticed that the shifter bar that goes all the way throught he box had been rubbing on the inside portion of the box's metal surface which leads me to believe the side shifter linkage was ever-so-slightly out of alignment after full assembly. Shiming would bring it all back into alignment.

This IS NOT a wrongful assembly install either. It ain't rocket science to install the MGW but I can see how the "alignment" could be off after installation which COULD effect precise shifting needs at max RPMs.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread