2 03 Cobras go down to broken half shafts!

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
How much are each half shaft and roughly how long does it take to install one.

I know if I blew one out, I would make sure to clean off the rubber on the wheel well.

cobra 829

Established Member
Originally posted by HIGH ROLLER
Went to the track yesterday for the Miloc Invitation at Stanton and there was 3 03 Cobras there including myself,most of the day was cold and driving into a strong headwind.For some reason traction was not there today like usual and we all had wheel hop problems on every pass:cuss: I watched the silver 03 car take off and you could see the car hopping badly then his half shaft broke just after the starting line.Then the mineral grey 03 came up later and the same exact problem happened to him!:( I had severe wheel hop also but short shifted into 2nd immediately just after the 60ft. mark to keep from breaking mine.This is the first i have heard anyone breaking a half shaft on the 03 Cobras. I already have subframes but was thinking about putting the FR500 IRS Brace on with the Steeda IRS Bushings to help control wheel hop my Cobra. Any input on this would be helpful for everyone that has wheelhop problems.

Matt
solid axle ford is not covering them

Big Daddy

Open Track Junkie!
Established Member
Originally posted by bassin247
How much are each half shaft and roughly how long does it take to install one.

I know if I blew one out, I would make sure to clean off the rubber on the wheel well.

You can buy a set for about $525.00 maybe a bit less. I have priced a set for my '01. They are much stronger than the ones they put on the '01's and much cheaper than the GKN Stage III's at $900 a pair. The GKN's are basically the same as the '03 shafts. The parent company of GKN is making the shafts for the '03's. (or so I've been told).

dmreitz

Established Member
Lansing, IL (Chi. Suburb on Indiana border)
Originally posted by highmiles

Are the 03s that broke going be covered under warranty?

Thanks.

I would think as long as the back end is not modded that they'd HAVE to honor the warranty. I mean I've had wheel hop on the street before (not racing - just pushing it hard on a launch from a light)... if I broke a half-shaft because of that, I'd bitch big time if the dealer tried to tell me "sorry, you were racing so we can't honor your warranty" or something like that.

Now, if the back end is modded, that's a different story... I wouldn't expect Ford to honor the warranty then...

just my 2 cents...

:beer:

gchronis

Get used to avatar
Established Member
Originally posted by 03snake
I can't imagine a dealer not knowing your were drag rading if you show up with broken half-shafts.

I don't know of any part of the warranty that says you can't drag or otherwise race your Cobra. If I break anything while racing and I'm stock, the dealer is paying for it. Just look at the way the Cobra is advertised. It's a race car, and if it breaks stock, it's not my fault.

03'Darin

Established Member
The warranty says it does not cover abuse or neglect. I would have to say if you came in and told our service dept. you broke something while you were drag racing they would probobaly tell you that was an expensive lesson you just learned. Best bet would be if you broke something while drag racing...less is better... the less info. you give them, the better.

Silver 03 Cobra

You can change a half-shaft out in less than an hour.

I have been running ET Streets and have zero wheel hop. I had no wheel hop on my F1's either. But, I had a lot of practise on the 99 and 01 Cobras that I owned and I think the slip technique carried over to the 03.

I ran a 60 ft best at Mooresville Dragway, NC last Thursday at 1.607. I was told the Et's did not have to be heated up after they have been broken in. What a bunch of whooey. I went to Shadyside Dragway this past Saturday night and got here early to let my car cool off. I was putting on my ET's when this bunch of dudes came in with a trailer hauling this older Chevelle SS with a big azz hood scoop on it. There were acing real cocky and staring at me. We were the second pair to run. I figured as loud as that car was he was in the 6's. I went up and did a little 2 second burn based on what I was told. I line up and drop the hammer and I hear sqeeling and I'm not moving. That Chevelle barely beat me and I ran a 8.6. I was pissed. I went back and heated my tires as best I could and ran a pair of 7.7's at almost 96 mph. That wiped the crap eating grin off those dudes faces. But I knew I could run better. There was a family with a couple 91 notchbacks running mid-6's. They were real impressed with my car. One of the guys named Jeff told me to get some ice to put on the intake. Then he told me I wasn't heating up my tires. He also told me to rev to 4500 at launch. He also gave me a few more pointers. We got it cooled down and he helped me at the line getting in and out of the water box. This time I heated my tires in second like he told me and I ran till the engine bogged and I let the clutch out. I made my best pass ever and I missed the 2-3 shift in which I had to force it into gear and I still ran a 7.435 at 94.5 mph with a 1.622. I would have been easily in the 7.3's.

On my next run I hit the dump valve and didn't get a chance to improve. I was done for the night anyway. I blew at the header flange gasket on the passenger side. I do not know how that could have happened. I nursed it home. When i got under it the next morning both nuts on the x-pipe flange were gone. I'm not sure they fell off and then blew the gasket or maybe with the gasket gone it loosened up the nuts and they vibrated off. It worries me though.

08snake

Formerly 03snake
Established Member
Originally posted by gchronis
I don't know of any part of the warranty that says you can't drag or otherwise race your Cobra. If I break anything while racing and I'm stock, the dealer is paying for it. Just look at the way the Cobra is advertised. It's a race car, and if it breaks stock, it's not my fault.
I'll have to agree with you as far as the advertising goes. But getting broken half-shafts fixed under warrenty is going to be up to the dealer. As for my dealer, he encouraged me to get a chip and pulley. If I break a half shaft while at the track he had better fix it.

gchronis

Get used to avatar
Established Member
Originally posted by 03'Darin
The warranty says it does not cover abuse or neglect. I would have to say if you came in and told our service dept. you broke something while you were drag racing they would probobaly tell you that was an expensive lesson you just learned. Best bet would be if you broke something while drag racing...less is better... the less info. you give them, the better.

Ok, wait a minute here. No flames or anything, but I have a different opinion on this matter. I understand neglect. Blowing a shaft while drag racing is not a matter of neglect. I also understand that if I have any weird mods that the dealer doesn't agree with and can be connected to some kind of damage, he shouldn't fix it. Now, let's see about abuse. In the case that we have a stock car racing, how is that abusing the car? I'm not crashing into anything, I'm not doing anything that the manual says I shouldn't do, I change the oil etc. etc., more than I should, and I don't have any sticky tires. If a half shaft breaks because I launch hard, that's not my problem. Drag racing or no drag racing is not even a variable that has to be considered. If SVT builds a powerful engine, they'd better much it up with the right drivetrain parts. If anything breaks because I launch my car hard, it's only because the engine is stronger than the car can take. Colleti said to MM&FF that they did some hundreds of launches and nothing happened to the car. When asked if it would do the same on different radials Colleti said he didn't know, cause they were launching with stock. This is not the point, though. If I do the same launches with my car, I expect it to not break anything either. If it does break, it's not my fault, and it's false advertising etc. etc. I'm not saying that a dealer would not try to deny warranty service. I'm just arguing that it's not fair if he does. Just MHO. Am I wrong?

And by the way, I'm not drag racing my car and I probably won't, and I have never drag raced any car. I prefer open track racing and not drag strip. BUT I plan to launch hard when I break the car in, and it'd better not break anything, cause my extended warranty is paying for it one way or another. And of course all this won't be true after I do all my mods. Then, I'm responsible for whatever happens.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
My opinion to this matter is SVTOA which is sponsored and supported by Ford to promote there SVT vehicles sponsors and holds several events every year. These events include car shows, road racing, and drag racing meets. If Ford has such a problem with Drag Racing and this activity is so damaging to there vehicles then why do they support an organization that’s primary activity is racing there cars. I don't support and would not expect them to cover damage if you blow something running slicks, but if you are running street tires then this should not be an issue.

03'Darin

Established Member
Let me just say this first. I am not trying to justify how Ford chooses to warranty or not warranty parts based on what "normal wear and tear" or "neglect" is interpreted as. Normal wear and tear is not drag strip launching, with or without drag radials/slicks/street tires etc.. I don't know of any state that it is legal to do 3000 rpm launches from a traffic light. As part of their testing procedure Ford makes SVT put their vehicles through 500 drag strip type launches(as per Tom Scarpello) in stock trim. This is only one of the hurdles they must pass before it would be considered for production. That doesn't mean they will cover drag stripfailures under warranty.
I was trying to point out how Ford words the warranty coverage. I can tell you if we put on a warranty claim that the item was broken from a drag strip launch, Ford will reject the claim and we will not get paid for the warranty work. Thats why i said sometimes less is better, the less info. you give the dealer...the better.

dougwg

Established Member
Stronger half shafts

It won't help wheel hop, but atleast the shafts will live through it.

"Cryogenic Thermal Treated to Enhance Strength and Durability. Race Proven in 600hp Drag Cars. Built from all new Highest Quality parts available. Most popular applications in stock All applications available, Sold in Matched pairs. "

user friendly link
if link is taken down just look up pstds.com

Last edited:

Elapidae

Festively Plump
Established Member
They make Carbon Fiber half-shafts for the vette. Seems like that would be a good option for the 03 Cobra :shrug:

Hello vendors :-D

Users who are viewing this thread