1st Trip to Track in my 03 Cobra

RED2003COBRA

Established Member
Well, finally got my car to the track to run my buddies H/C/LT C-5 that also has 3.90 gears that I've mentioned in other threads. We were able to line up together for two out of my 3 runs today and the results were a little suprising. 1st run (my first ever in this car) I had a 1.757 60' to his 1.799, then I had a 7.726 1/8 to his 7.764, followed by a 10.018 1000' time to his 10.025. The finish was me 12.06/104 mph to his 11.9/120 mph because I MISSED MY FREAKING 3-4 GEAR SHIFT!!! I had a good 11.xx run on my first ever run and messed it up and a great race. I was so freaking mad. The next time we lined up I bogged really bad during the launch, but technically I won since he red lighted. He ran a 11.88/119 to my 12.47/117mph due to my launching problems. My final run ended up with severe wheel hop that I had to lift out of and ended up running a sad 12.75/112 mph missing 4th gear again:cuss: It was a lot of fun finally running my car, but I guess I need to work on my driving skills. I smooth aggresive clutch slip from 3000 rpm netted my my first runs 1.757 60' time so I know what to try next time at the track. On my second run I tried lower rpm and clutch dump which gave me the bog and my final 3500 rpm near clutch dump resulted in wheel hop. I guess on the bright side I got some driving experience and know my car is 11.xx capable. I also didn't break anything, unfortunatly another 03 cobra there broke a half shaft:( Sorry about the long read.

Lance

00Vette

Established Member
RED2003COBRA said:
Well, finally got my car to the track to run my buddies H/C/LT C-5 that also has 3.90 gears that I've mentioned in other threads. We were able to line up together for two out of my 3 runs today and the results were a little suprising. 1st run (my first ever in this car) I had a 1.757 60' to his 1.799, then I had a 7.726 1/8 to his 7.764, followed by a 10.018 1000' time to his 10.025. The finish was me 12.06/104 mph to his 11.9/120 mph because I MISSED MY FREAKING 3-4 GEAR SHIFT!!! I had a good 11.xx run on my first ever run and messed it up and a great race. I was so freaking mad. The next time we lined up I bogged really bad during the launch, but technically I won since he red lighted. He ran a 11.88/119 to my 12.47/117mph due to my launching problems. My final run ended up with severe wheel hop that I had to lift out of and ended up running a sad 12.75/112 mph missing 4th gear again:cuss: It was a lot of fun finally running my car, but I guess I need to work on my driving skills. I smooth aggresive clutch slip from 3000 rpm netted my my first runs 1.757 60' time so I know what to try next time at the track. On my second run I tried lower rpm and clutch dump which gave me the bog and my final 3500 rpm near clutch dump resulted in wheel hop. I guess on the bright side I got some driving experience and know my car is 11.xx capable. I also didn't break anything, unfortunatly another 03 cobra there broke a half shaft:( Sorry about the long read.

Lance

So who was the winner then?:shrug: Technically you won one and I won one! We're going to have to try this again.:dw: :rockon: :-D

I was really surprised! The first race Lance was right next to me! Actually his Cobra's nose was maybe a foot in front of mine..........and every shift was the same. I couldn't shake him for shit!! Then his car seemed to fall on its face right about the 1000ft mark and I flew through the traps (he missed 3-4):eek: . It was a good race........there is no doubt about it. I have analyzed the time slip and you can see that I was catching him ever so slowly at the top end.........but I'm guessing it would have been too close to call. IMO, the cars are really really close to eachother.

Lance - 00Vette
R/T .178 - .152
60ft 1.757 - 1.799
330ft 5.027 - 5.099
1/8th 7.726 - 7.764
mph 91.73 - 90.84
1000ft 10.018 - 10.025
1/4 12.063 - 11.902
mph 104.88 - 120.40

The next run showed how the 60ft times play all the difference in racing. He has an 11 second car for sure............with a little practice! ;-)

It was alot of fun! And Lance has one hell of a car.:beer: Next Friday is TnT, we could try again................should be a good race..........if you can get me to stay off the bottle.:p

Last edited:

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
Wow, that is a great 60 foot for your first time at the track Red2003Cobra. Great times and everything! Work on that 3-4 shift and show that Vette who's boss :D

And nice times for you too as well 00Vette.

RED2003COBRA

Established Member
I really had a good time racing Jon. I'm amazed at how close the cars really run. I'm not sure what would have happend on the first race if I wouldn't have messed up. I did notice you starting gain a little ground as the speeds built up. I'm thinking you would have had me by a nose. I wish I didn't bog the second launch, but you were so far ahead of me on that one, I didn't have a chance. Jon, has a sick car and I'm just lucky he didn't spray on me. I'm sure you'll hit 10's with that 200 shot. We'll have to do this again sometime. :-D

Lance

cscollis

Established Member
00Vette said:
So who was the winner then?:shrug: Technically you won one and I won one! We're going to have to try this again.:dw: :rockon: :-D

I was really surprised! The first race Lance was right next to me! Actually his Cobra's nose was maybe a foot in front of mine..........and every shift was the same. I couldn't shake him for shit!! Then his car seemed to fall on its face right about the 1000ft mark and I flew through the traps (he missed 3-4):eek: . It was a good race........there is no doubt about it. I have analyzed the time slip and you can see that I was catching him ever so slowly at the top end.........but I'm guessing it would have been too close to call. IMO, the cars are really really close to eachother.

Lance - 00Vette
R/T .178 - .152
60ft 1.757 - 1.799
330ft 5.027 - 5.099
1/8th 7.726 - 7.764
mph 91.73 - 90.84
1000ft 10.018 - 10.025
1/4 12.063 - 11.902
mph 104.88 - 120.40

The next run showed how the 60ft times play all the difference in racing. He has an 11 second car for sure............with a little practice! ;-)

It was alot of fun! And Lance has one hell of a car.:beer: Next Friday is TnT, we could try again................should be a good race..........if you can get me to stay off the bottle.:p

00Vette - The mph in the 1/8th must be wrong for you. Did you not spray out of the whole? What other mods you besides spray?

Great races. I love racing Cobra's in my vette, real close races. I win most of the time cause I dont miss shifts.

Last edited:

C5_z51_6spd

Banned
00Vette said:

Lance - 00Vette
R/T .178 - .152
60ft 1.757 - 1.799
330ft 5.027 - 5.099
1/8th 7.726 - 7.764
mph 91.73 - 90.84
1000ft 10.018 - 10.025
1/4 12.063 - 11.902
mph 104.88 - 120.40

what rwhp/tq numbers are you putting down???

RED2003COBRA

Established Member
cscollis said:
00Vette - The mph in the 1/8th must be wrong for you. Did you not spray out of the whole? What other mods you besides spray?

Great races. I love racing Cobra's in my vette, real close races. I win most of the time cause I dont miss shifts.

If I remember right he's putting down just over 400hp/tq without the spray. He was running NA on our runs so his 1/8 time is normal as far as I can tell. He's got a 10 second car on a big shot of N20. Yeah, shifting skills help. I can't I believe I missed an easy shift.

Lance

cscollis

Established Member
RED2003COBRA said:
If I remember right he's putting down just over 400hp/tq without the spray. He was running NA on our runs so his 1/8 time is normal as far as I can tell. He's got a 10 second car on a big shot of N20. Yeah, shifting skills help. I can't I believe I missed an easy shift.

Lance

My only problem with the timeslip is he picked up 30 mph from the 1/8 to the 1/4. Even guys spraying a 150 shot usually pick up 27-28 mph on the big end. N/A I have never seen a corvette pickup more than 26 mph in a stock cubed heads cam vette. I think he may have sprayed you on the top end with a big shot. I only pick up 23 to 24 on the big end which is the norm for HC vettes.

He definetly has a high 10sec vette. A friend with a small 100 shot and similar mods as me ran a 11.1 at 128 without spraying out of the whole or during shifts.

RED2003COBRA

Established Member
cscollis said:
My only problem with the timeslip is he picked up 30 mph from the 1/8 to the 1/4. Even guys spraying a 150 shot usually pick up 27-28 mph on the big end. N/A I have never seen a corvette pickup more than 26 mph in a stock cubed heads cam vette. I think he may have sprayed you on the top end with a big shot. I only pick up 23 to 24 on the big end which is the norm for HC vettes.

He definetly has a high 10sec vette. A friend with a small 100 shot and similar mods as me ran a 11.1 at 128 without spraying out of the whole or during shifts.

Don't know what to tell you besides I know he had problems with his purge noid and his setup was disconnected and had pieces missing. For his last run of the day he borrowed the fittings/noid/etc to spray only one run since he was very low on nitrous. I know for a fact that he didn't spray on me, plus I have complete trust in him and know he wouldn't do that. He has a bad car though and I'm just happy to have got some runs in.

Lance

00Vette

Established Member
cscollis said:

You can ask Lance.........the air was really nice that day! 120mph was the highest N/A mph I have had to date. I normally trap between 117-119mph. Lance know's that my car traps about 27-30mph more in the 1/4 that it does in the 1/8th. It was obvious with my gaining top end on him. You can see it in the time slip.

Lance has been pretty much dead on with my progreesion out of the 13's into the 12's and finally into the 11's. I have yet to see a 10 second run, but have hit 11.2 @125 with 100mph trap in the 1/8th. Lance has been pretty much dead on with predicting my runs vs. the mods I had at that time. Kinda creepy.:D

I have mucho time slips I can take pics of and post for you if you don't believe me.........and I got some shitty video's too!;-) .......IF.......you need to see them.:rolleyes: Not that it matters!

Lance, I'm parying I get my purge back soon and I'm also getting some new/bigger fuel jets to dial in this 200hp shot. Do you, or should I say.........can you hit the track this weekend? Its T&T only though. The brackets are over till next season.:(

00Vette

Established Member
cscollis said:

Now that you mention this and force me to look at my past time slips.:D I noticed that my other N/A run from that day was 93.61mph in the 1/8th and 118.93 in the 1/4 netting an 11.887 ET. That was my best N/A 1/8th mile mph ever..........as the 120mph was my best ever for the 1/4 N/A.

I remember that my first run of the day was ran with me granny shifting (letting off the gas while I pressed the clutch). I didn't really think about that till now. The second run (since the first was so close) I speed shifted the entire run. It didn't really net me much of a gain, but that run was later in the day and may have been due to the heat. Who know's.....

I also looked at my previous season runs 1/8 mile mph and I was running high 91's to low 92's and 117-119mph in the 1/4.

So the that first race of Lance and Mine was a little low for my 1/8 mph. But its odd that it would still net my best 1/4 mph.:shrug:

RED2003COBRA

Established Member
00Vette said:
Now that you mention this and force me to look at my past time slips.:D I noticed that my other N/A run from that day was 93.61mph in the 1/8th and 118.93 in the 1/4 netting an 11.887 ET. That was my best N/A 1/8th mile mph ever..........as the 120mph was my best ever for the 1/4 N/A.

I remember that my first run of the day was ran with me granny shifting (letting off the gas while I pressed the clutch). I didn't really think about that till now. The second run (since the first was so close) I speed shifted the entire run. It didn't really net me much of a gain, but that run was later in the day and may have been due to the heat. Who know's.....

I also looked at my previous season runs 1/8 mile mph and I was running high 91's to low 92's and 117-119mph in the 1/4.

So the that first race of Lance and Mine was a little low for my 1/8 mph. But its odd that it would still net my best 1/4 mph.:shrug:

The more I think about it I believe that your car is just a little quicker than mine. It really will come down to a drivers race whenever we line up. It would be cool to get a good run in and see exactly how it would turn out. As far as you gaining almost 30mph in the last 1/8, is this really that weird. I always thought LS1's had a good 3rd gear charge, plus with your gears and aerodynamics that might be noticed a little more. Just a thought. I don't believe I'll be able to hit the track this weekend. I would like to get before the seasons over, but the wife gave me an evil look when I mentioned going to the track two weekends in a row.

Lance

00Vette

Established Member
RED2003COBRA said:
The more I think about it I believe that your car is just a little quicker than mine. It really will come down to a drivers race whenever we line up. It would be cool to get a good run in and see exactly how it would turn out. As far as you gaining almost 30mph in the last 1/8, is this really that weird. I always thought LS1's had a good 3rd gear charge, plus with your gears and aerodynamics that might be noticed a little more. Just a thought. I don't believe I'll be able to hit the track this weekend. I would like to get before the seasons over, but the wife gave me an evil look when I mentioned going to the track two weekends in a row.

Lance

That's what flowers are for.:pepper:

And to address your 30mph thing, with the air and how good it was, I find it odd that deep in the summer where the air was much worse and the heat was a big factor.............my MPH was 1-3mph faster in the 1/8th than that first run, but the 1/4 mph was my best ever. Does that mean if I knew what the hell I was doing I may have seen 11.6's or so? Then for the second run you can see that the 1/8th MPH was 93mph.............but my 1/4 mph was down. It was getting warmer though. I find it odd that the first run would have only 90mph and 120mph in the 1/4, then the next run would have 93mph in the 1/8 and 119 mph in the 1/4. You see where I'm a little weirded out?

Silver95

Established Member
What is a typical 1/4 mile with a 2.90 top SC pulley? Is it possible to hit 11's with the 2.90+the supporting mods?

RED2003COBRA

Established Member
Silver95 said:
What is a typical 1/4 mile with a 2.90 top SC pulley? Is it possible to hit 11's with the 2.90+the supporting mods?

I've been told with good driving it is very much possible. I pretty much proved it almost hitting 11's and missing a shift. I think one guy said he ran 11.7's with a 2.93" setup. That's the fastest that I've heard of. I should have ran about 11.9@118-119 if I didn't miss that shift.

Lance

Silver95

Established Member
RED2003COBRA said:
I've been told with good driving it is very much possible. I pretty much proved it almost hitting 11's and missing a shift. I think one guy said he ran 11.7's with a 2.93" setup. That's the fastest that I've heard of. I should have ran about 11.9@118-119 if I didn't miss that shift.

Lance

With how much whp was that done at?

Users who are viewing this thread