1st Time at Dyno - 373 RWHP Stock on 87 octane

FastRedPonyCar

Powered by Cuisinart
Established Member
Dropped by a get together at our local dyno. I wasn't planning on dynoing the car at all, hence I had a full tank of 87 octane :(

I got persuaded to finally put the car up on the rollers for the first time and see what it had in it.

A preface to the video is that this dyno has earned the name "The Heartbreaker" due to reading notoriously low. I'm not sure what type dyno it is. The computer screen says dynojet but I don't know if that's the software used or the actual type dyno.

Anyways, all that said it put down 373 bone stock aside from the shelby mufflers.

did 2 pulls then I put the air raid intake (it's been in my trunk for like.. 2 months) and it made 378 which is the last run in the video but we did a 4th run that made 375.

So aside from me thinking that the car is just as fast with the stock intake using my seat of the pants dyno, an ACTUAL dyno showing a 3~5 hp increase pretty much confirms my suspicion of it being worthless without a tune.

I'm pretty happy with the results. 373 off 87 octane on a dyno that supposedly reads low. After they told me how low some other cars were dyno'ing, I was honestly expecting 340~350. 373 definitely had a lot of eyebrows raised. Can't wait to take it to the track now but no idea when that will be.

Once I get a dyno sheet emailed to me I'll post that up.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L59f99LNKIE"]2012 Mustang GT 5.0L Dyno - YouTube[/nomedia]

Lone Star

Established Member
Nice numbers! I'm going on the 12th of November to get my baseline numbers on a dynojet and hoping for similar numbers. I ran 87 octane once and went through the tank so fast wasn't worth the $4-$5 tank savings to lose mpgs

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
I agree. A high performance V8 should never see 87, even if it was 'tuned' for it. I'd never buy a GT if I knew the owner used 87.

-fro

What's your reasoning behind that? I'm curious.

FastRedPonyCar

Powered by Cuisinart
Established Member

There is none. This topic has been beaten to death on more forums than I can even remember. If the owners manual doesn't say 93 only then there is no drawback. If there were, the manual would say so.

I'm running the stock tune so unless I get a tune calling for a higher octane, I have no reason to switch. I'm not being cheap, I'm being practical.

nocobrafornow

Established Member
There is none. This topic has been beaten to death on more forums than I can even remember. If the owners manual doesn't say 93 only then there is no drawback. If there were, the manual would say so.

I'm running the stock tune so unless I get a tune calling for a higher octane, I have no reason to switch. I'm not being cheap, I'm being practical.

No Drew i belive he was talking to the guy in quotes.heyman i haven't seen you around lately. so when you were at "dyno pro" was anybody tuning anything. how do you know those guys. David

FastRedPonyCar

Powered by Cuisinart
Established Member
No Drew i belive he was talking to the guy in quotes.heyman i haven't seen you around lately. so when you were at "dyno pro" was anybody tuning anything. how do you know those guys. David

Sam, the guy that runs it, is a buddy of mine since highschool. No mustang tuning being done. Mostly volvos (megasquirt), hondata and Nissan tuning.

Erich

Established Member
Great numbers!
I think it is cool that this motor can run on 87.
If you were to put 100 octane in it, could it adapt to that in the other direction?
Erich

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member

Yeah I wasn't addressing you in that post, but I completely agree with you. If it was designed by a Ford engineer to run 87 safely and effectively, that's what it'll get from time to time putting back and forth to work and such.

afro

Why?
Established Member

you're relying on the knock sensor to pull timing. You know what has to happen for it to do that?? Yep, engine knock! I'd rather not trust it and instead put 91/93 in the car like it needs. It's a high performance V8, not a 110hp 4-cyl Civic(which btw, I'd have no issues using 87 or even 85).

I don't care what the manual says. Almost every engine these days 'can' run on 87 for marketing reasons, not engineering reasons. Doesn't mean you should!! Treat your car right and it should last..skimp on gas and pay big in the future.

If you were to put 100 octane in it, could it adapt to that in the other direction?
Erich

no...read up on what octane does and the limits of the stock ecu.

-fro

Last edited:

94Gt5.0

Allgo5oh
Established Member
you're relying on the knock sensor to pull timing. You know what has to happen for it to do that?? Yep, engine knock! I'd rather not trust it and instead put 91/93 in the car like it needs. It's a high performance V8, not a 110hp 4-cyl Civic(which btw, I'd have no issues using 87 or even 85).

I don't care what the manual says. Almost every engine these days 'can' run on 87 for marketing reasons, not engineering reasons. Doesn't mean you should!! Treat your car right and it should last..skimp on gas and pay big in the future.

no...read up on what octane does and the limits of the stock ecu.

-fro

For arguements sake, knock sensors function the same way in regards to timing on 93 octane as well, I guess I fail to see the difference.

afro

Why?
Established Member
For arguements sake, knock sensors function the same way in regards to timing on 93 octane as well, I guess I fail to see the difference.

Car shouldn't be knocking w/91 or 93 octane. That's the difference.

-fro

nocobrafornow

Established Member

this. plus if i remember the manual says basically it is designed to run on 87 to premium as some states only have 91, but for optimum performance run 93. now on Shelby's or Cobra's it says only premium. now my car i have only run 93 but that is my choice and Drew uses 87 and i think he DD his.

hey Drew do you have access to a lift, i have a few parts i want to get on before Flip's. it's not this weekend it is on the 29th. David

Users who are viewing this thread