1st cobra - your opinion please

edm11

Established Member
I am looking at buying my 1st 03/04 Cobra. Want a car that is reliable and not high maintenance, but modified. Provided the car was maintained well, is a car modified like this one a decent choice? You probably know the car...it is the Red Cobra VT 284 in the for sale section. Does a build like this require more regular maintenance?

It is 03supercobra's http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/terminators-buy-sell-254/533381-torch-red-03-cobra-sale.html

If you have negative things to say about this person's car, please PM me or keep them to yourself. I do not want to start a trash thread and hurt this person's chance of a sale for my lack of knowledge - thanks.

I do have decent mechanical skills, mostly from motorcycles, but compared to the majority of you I would probably consider myself a novice if this helps.

Last edited:

01SaleenS281

01-459
Established Member
To be completely frank any sports car that is modified requires more maintenance than your average grocery getter. From the long list of mods and low price of the car in the link it's very well built with no expense spared. Your best bet is have the car you want to purchase thoroughly inspected by a shop very familiar with 03/04 Cobras and drive it yourself to see if you like it.

mikeshimek

Boost Hunter
Established Member
thats a hell of a car for the money, sometimes i wish i would have waited a year or 2 to buy mine. my thoughts would be get a leakdown test done, but i dont think that car meets your "modified" idea. that car is a "built badass" not just a pullied cobra. jmo

props to the owner for a sick ride, id keep it, lol!

steedafever

U.S. ARMY 13-FOX
Established Member
buy it buy it buy it, only bad part is, alot of that stuff you cant have fun building up. but if you want a kick ass beast buy it

svtcobrar2004

Established Member
is this your first high horsepower car? i'd suggest you to start off small.

I know that if you just have a simple pulley and bolt on cobra... with a really good tune.. you won't have to worry about anything except regular maintenace.

rexisme

Established Member
Ya, it might be too much car to start off with. I think it makes around 700hp. However, for the price that I have seen him bump it at, I would buy it in a second if the bank would give me another loan.

Postal Pimp

torque is my heroin....
Established Member
damn $25,500 for this ride?! thats a great deal for that beast! but as stated b4 if you never owned a car with 390+ hp this will be ALOT to handle at first, jmo.

edm11

Established Member
Thanks for all your responses. You made some good points. I think getting it checked out by a Mustang specific shop would make sense. This is my first sports car - always had trucks for motorcycling. That VT 284 Red Cobra is a badass machine and has me under it's spell. Might be a little too much venom for my 1st Cobra though.

evil04svtcobra

Established Member
i owned a 98 mustang gt llike five years ago before i bought my cobra. when i bought my cobra i owned a 06 gsxr 1000, it was my first bike. in fact it was only the second time i was ever one a bike.

if you really like it and can handle it buy it.

i bought my cobra not even sure if i wanted a steg ported eaton. lol, looking back i wish i did so much more homework. i thought i knew some about cobras but i didnt. now after being on here, i've learned 100000x more info then i did before.

i ended up buying my cobra with a stag 3 steg. and 500rwhp... but of course it wasn't enough so started dumping money into it. if i could do it all again i would buy a car like this. a car that is already done!

just read as much about 03/04 cobras as you can the next few days.... look up any question you might have about them and use the search in here.

also check out cobra bobs site, lots of good info.
Terminator FAQs

i would expect once you bought this car to spend at least a few hundred dollars getting it re tuned!

no matter what seller says i would have it re tuned. but that is with any moded car i would ever buy.

and just know you would have to put minimum 100 octane in that car at all time. probably more!

twin screws need a few things to make hp and for the car to run right. boost, timing, and octane. depending how much boost it is on i would expect to be putting in some very good fuel. that is something you would have expect.

Last edited:

edm11

Established Member
Oh I didn't know that car had to eat 100+ octane. Makes sense I guess. I do feel like I could respect the raw power of this car, but I would probably be happy with a Cobra with some bolt ons and a good tune like svtcobrar2004 mentioned. I appreciate your advice Evil04svtcobra. I had checked out Cobra Bob's site. Man these cars are worth getting alone just for all the info you can find on them. This site rocks.

Users who are viewing this thread