1999 cobra m112 eaton swap first start?

Arthur

Established Member
Hi everyone! 1999 mustang cobra getting m112 eaton swap(stock blower with 2.76 pulley and 4lb lower pulley) and I am planning load the car on the trailer and bring it to a shop for a dyno tune(reprogramming ECU). Will car start on stock tune and run so I can load it on a trailer or do not start it on stock 99 cobra tune and If it needs to do an email tune first so I can start and put it on a trailer.
Thank you for the help!

01yellercobra

Established Member
Get a start up tune from your tuner. They should be able to get you one pretty easily.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
You can start the car and move it on the trailer. Obviously don’t hot rod it around the block. You should start it anyway to check for anything loose and coolant leaks. You don’t want to get to a tuning session only to find out there are installation issues. My 2cents.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I started mine on the stock tune and drove it a mile or so to get gas. Ran perfect but I stayed out of boost. Also let it idle for a while to make sure no leaks, didn't overheat, etc. I had it towed to get the actual tune though.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Has the engine been built? 2.76/4lb is a hefty task for a stock bottom end '99.

Arthur

Established Member
Has the engine been built? 2.76/4lb is a hefty task for a stock bottom end '99.

Stock bottom she has original heart. I am planning to get 500hp at the top/max out of it and 2.76 came with the blower so im hoping that tuner will make it just where she can handle the power. I am more worried about blower(original not ported) might produce more heat than it should with this pulley. Hoping on tune

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yeah, I agree that that boost level is on the high side for your stock bottom end motor. I would consider going with the 4 lb. lower (if you really want to use it) and a larger upper, like maybe a 3.1. The upside of the 3.1 would be lesser chance of belt slip. How many idlers are you using? Or if you don't want to spend the money, use only the 2.76 for now and consider the 4 lb. lower down the road when you're confident your motor can handle it safely. JMO.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Stock bottom she has original heart. I am planning to get 500hp at the top/max out of it and 2.76 came with the blower so im hoping that tuner will make it just where she can handle the power. I am more worried about blower(original not ported) might produce more heat than it should with this pulley. Hoping on tune
Boost is boost. Your tuner can turn the timing down and make it pig rich so it doesn't make too much power, but that rotating assembly will still be under way more stress than it was ever designed for. Think about the connecting rods and having to push back against all that boost. Not good. The stock pulleys will max out the factory engine and what it can 'safely' produce while also keeping the iats at a minimum for more safety and efficiency and an overall better running car. I wouldn't reach for 500 either. That's too close to the edge of what we know will kill that engine. Aim more towards 420-450. GL

railroad

Established Member
I have a KB 1.7 on my 99 Cobra. It is making 9 lbs of boost, 445 whp. By this, I would say 4 lbs is very safe.
KB tuner said, 9 lbs is the safe max with powdered rods.
I also found, I did not need to red line the engine. With boost it will pull out of a lower shift point for everything but balls to the wall.
The kit did have a boost-a-pump, lower thermostat. I am running shorty headers, no gain and factory cats w
Magnaflow cat back.
If interested, alum flywheel and driveshaft
3.73 gears, tri ax shifter.
Corbeau seats make this a fun car. It feels so much smaller than my 13 GT500.
Hope this helps.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Wish I could still find one of those KB kits... sucks they stopped making them but good news is the parts farm usually has a full eaton swap at least.

Arthur

Established Member
corrections since I was slowly buying parts for the build my lower pulley is actually 2lb instead of 4. So 2.76 and 2lb for lower one.
I bought it year ago and forgot which pulley I selected :)

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I have the stock upper and lower and my car makes 440 rwhp. One day I'll build the bottom end and add a TVS.

Users who are viewing this thread