1999-2001 Functional Cobra Hood

jshertx

Established Member
Finally back from the shop!

Man, what a week!!! :bash: Ok, here are a few follow up pics. Disregard the dirty hood. I live in the desert, and we could grow peanuts in our butt cracks with all the sand that blows out here! I trashed that damn hood liner. It was filthy and looked like a turd in a punch bowl. I need to get some touch up paint to cover where the factory left the hood part number unpainted, but other than that, it's done. I have noticed a better throttle response and cooler engine compartment or maybe I'm full of crap, but it seems like it. THE HOOD IS NOW FUNCTIONAL!

hoodscoop1.gif

hoodscoop2.gif

:banana:

jshertx

Established Member
I'll post some more pics after I paint and clean her up. Not this weekend though. It's beer thirty and time to grill some yard pimp!!! Have a good weekend everyone.

matt87

Established Member
looks good but with such a small opening is it really worth hacking up the hood?

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
Man, what a week!!! :bash: Ok, here are a few follow up pics. Disregard the dirty hood. I live in the desert, and we could grow peanuts in our butt cracks with all the sand that blows out here! I trashed that damn hood liner. It was filthy and looked like a turd in a punch bowl. I need to get some touch up paint to cover where the factory left the hood part number unpainted, but other than that, it's done. I have noticed a better throttle response and cooler engine compartment or maybe I'm full of crap, but it seems like it. THE HOOD IS NOW FUNCTIONAL!

hoodscoop1.gif

hoodscoop2.gif

:banana:

Under hood temps will definitely be cooler I have the 00 R hood from HO Fibertrends and it is functional. I can see all the heat coming out of the vents when I'm stopped. Not sure if it makes the car faster, but it will keep the temps down which is a good thing.

jshertx

Established Member
looks good but with such a small opening is it really worth hacking up the hood?

It wouldn't be hard to make the scoop opening larger, however I want the water to channel off to the sides as much as possible. My goal with the project was to create a syphoning effect. Air flowing over the air dam will flow out the extractor and hopefully pull the hot air out as well. I think the best extractor set up is the 00 Cobra R hood with a full air flow front to back, however I won't go to this set up unless I get a blower.

cobrasvtcoupe25

Established Member
Very nice :rockon: Thanks for posting :beer:

Two questions

1. Where does the water hit when it comes through the hood?
2. Can you see any heat coming out when you're at a stop light?

Thanks,
Mike

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
1. I just went out and looked at my '99 and the heat extractors sit right over the overflow tank. So I would suspect water would hit the overflow and run off in front of the motor. That being if the vehicle was stationary and even when it's moving there's not going to be any substantial amount of water coming in through the vents due to the car moving foward and the high pressure under the hood pushing air out through the heat extractor vents.

I doubt it would happen but it would be cool to see the car in the rain at high speed to see if the rain would actually be blown up and over the hood where the heat extractor vents are. Seems this could happen or it could just be the beer making me think it would work this way.

jshertx

Established Member
When water hits the hood, it runs off down the sides of the scoop. The hood is convex in the center, so water does not make contact with scoop in the center. Once it passes through the scoop grille, it will spill onto the coolant overflow tank, and then onto the road below. I doubt air will force water back out the scoop, since this type of scoop is not a flow through design like the cowl hood. The heat extractor bleeds off heat that is collecting in the convex area of the hood. It hasn't been cold enough to see steam coming out of the hood, but after a good drive, you can feel the heat coming out.

GreySVTSnake01

Established Member
I'm glad this came back. i wanted to ask you what the water run off situation is with your hood? have you had a good rain with the car parked since you did this? i just got my IRS back together with fresh gears and carrier and prolly going to try this, this weekend. Thanks, jshertx.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
When water hits the hood, it runs off down the sides of the scoop. The hood is convex in the center, so water does not make contact with scoop in the center. Once it passes through the scoop grille, it will spill onto the coolant overflow tank, and then onto the road below. I doubt air will force water back out the scoop, since this type of scoop is not a flow through design like the cowl hood. The heat extractor bleeds off heat that is collecting in the convex area of the hood. It hasn't been cold enough to see steam coming out of the hood, but after a good drive, you can feel the heat coming out.

You're mistaken if you think air flows out through a cowl hood, the area in front of the windshield is a high pressure area. Air flows in through the cowl openings to under the hood. This is why a cowl hood is a waste on a fuel injected vehicle if its installed for anything other than clearance of the engine/intake or supercharger.

10-12" back from the front of the hood is the ideal location for heat extrator openings. Look at the 03/04 cobra hood, and where its openings are located. That area's a low pressure area and air will flow from under the hood out.

I had a functional 00 R hood on my race car. Took it off in favor of an 03/04 cobra hood. Much more functional as a heat extractor.

jshertx

Established Member
I'm glad this came back. i wanted to ask you what the water run off situation is with your hood? have you had a good rain with the car parked since you did this? i just got my IRS back together with fresh gears and carrier and prolly going to try this, this weekend. Thanks, jshertx.

Not that I can remember. I live in the desert, so rain is about as common as a sober sailor.

jshertx

Established Member
You're mistaken if you think air flows out through a cowl hood, the area in front of the windshield is a high pressure area. Air flows in through the cowl openings to under the hood. This is why a cowl hood is a waste on a fuel injected vehicle if its installed for anything other than clearance of the engine/intake or supercharger.

10-12" back from the front of the hood is the ideal location for heat extrator openings. Look at the 03/04 cobra hood, and where its openings are located. That area's a low pressure area and air will flow from under the hood out.

I had a functional 00 R hood on my race car. Took it off in favor of an 03/04 cobra hood. Much more functional as a heat extractor.

Interesting. So that explains why most raised cowl hoods dont have openings near the windshield anymore like they did back in the 70's. It's all for the look, unless like you say, "clearance for intake/supercharger".

Users who are viewing this thread