1999-2001 Functional Cobra Hood

jshertx

Established Member
I hate nonfunctional scoops on a car, especially a Cobra. The heat extractor on my 99 cobra looked functional, and when you take the screen off, there's a cavity inside the hood. Under the hood, there's no opening. WTF? :cuss: Now here's where my OCD kicked in, so I took a dremel tool with a cut off wheel and finished the job Ford didn't. If you cut out the horizontal brace in the center, which is under the cavity seen from the top side, and make the cut like your cutting out the bottom of box. Leave the vertical support to the brace in place for bracing purposes. The vertical braces on each end of the horizontal brace should be left alone. These will provide the run off for any water that comes through the screen. Reinstall the hood blanket, and then using a sharp knife or scissors cut a hole to match the hood opening. You can leave it as is, or take some trim edging used in rv's and boats to taper and clean up the blanket edge. That's it! Now airflow will be increased and all that hot air can bleed out the extractor. :dancenana:

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
I have an aftermarket hood but would love to see pics

ZINCYELLOW01

Established Member
I always wondered how terminator guys kept their engine compartments clean... Doesn't rain water just run right onto the valve covers with those heat extractors?

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
I always wondered how terminator guys kept their engine compartments clean... Doesn't rain water just run right onto the valve covers with those heat extractors?

Not if they have the stock vents. They have little flaps on them that you can open or close.

My hood is functional :beer:

4359864941_bea6ac82c8.jpg

4369637340_147d8f0104.jpg

MrBrain

Corner carver
Established Member
I'd be interested in pics too, especially how you did it under the hood. I like beer :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread