1998 Cobra will not start after first try. Always starts on second try

1998 Cobra Vert

Established Member
Hi everyone, longtime lurker and first time poster. I have a bone stock 1998 Cobra with 34,500 miles. I recently changed the plugs, wires, belt, battery and IAC. The issue I am describing existed before doing the tune up. I changed the IAC since I had a high idle issue along with the idle spiking to 1,800-2,000 RPM when driving. The idle now is a steady 800 RPM and the car idles smoother than my 2014 Fusion.

The car is rarely driven...hence the low miles. It's normally under a cover on a battery tender in the garage. Whenever I start the car, it will not start the first time when turning the key. It always fires right up the second time of turning the key.

I've read posts on this forum trying to isolate the issue. Seems like PATS, the alternator or fuel pump may be the culprit?

It's more of an annoyance than anything and would like the car to start with the first turn of the key. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tillerman77

Established Member
Since you run a battery tender, you should be able to rule out the battery & alternator. The caveat would be if your first start cranks slower than normal.
If your PATS arms itself as expected or triggers an alarm when it is supposed to, I think you can rule that out as well.
I agree with @Dontilgon that it sounds like a fuel or fuel pump issue.

1998 Cobra Vert

Established Member
Thanks for the quick replies! When I turn the key for the first time, it cranks fine, not any slower than normal. it just doesn't start the motor. Almost like an old motor with a carb. Turn the key a second time and it fires right up.

Looks like a fuel pump is in my future, especially since I know it's the original from 20 years ago.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I replaced the pump in ours with a Walbro kit from Lethal. Be sure to buy a filler neck donut gasket at the same time, you'll need it.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

omj

Established Member
Probably the fuel pump. Easy non-scientific test: turn the key to on, wait 10 seconds, then off 4x before trying to start the car. If it starts doing that but not when you try to crank immediately, it's probably the pump.

ForcFed93

Established Member
Probably the fuel pump. Easy non-scientific test: turn the key to on, wait 10 seconds, then off 4x before trying to start the car. If it starts doing that but not when you try to crank immediately, it's probably the pump.

Definitely try this. The idea is that after it sits, the pressure bleeds down and on first crank, it doesn't build enough during the first prime to start. Priming it multiple times to get adequate pressure then starting shows that the fuel pump is on its way out.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
You should do a fuel system pressure test both KOEO and KOER. With KOER connect and disconnect the FPR to get a reading with and without vacuum.

Specs:
KOEO: 39psi
KOER: 29psi at idle w/ FPR vac line attached (w/ 22''Hg of vacuum = -10psi), 39psi at idle w/ FPR vac line unattached
WOT: 39psi as well.

With boost or forced induction, it should increase in a 1:1 fashion over WOT psi.

Example: At 10psi boost, fuel pressure should be 49psi at WOT. (Base 39psi + 10psi).

Also when performing the KOEO test, the psi reading should hold for a couple hours I believe. If it bleeds down quickly, you have a potential issue in the fuel system.

Hope this helps.

1998 Cobra Vert

Established Member
Thanks for all the replies! Since the weather has been for crap in Chicago, I have not started the car in weeks. 70's later this week so I will first try the test by turning the key on, waiting for 10 seconds, then off 4x.

1998 Cobra Vert

Established Member
Ok, finally some warm weather so I gave it a shot. I turned the key to the on position 4x for ten seconds each and then tried starting the car. Same issue. It would not start until I turned the key back and tried starting a second time when it fired up. I let the car run for ten minutes and then shut it off. I then immediately restarted the car and it started right up. Do you all think it is still the fuel pump?

deadernie

is my name
Established Member
Have you tried replacing the fuel filter? Cheaper than a pump and if it hasn't been replaced it's probably due.

When my fuel pump went it gave no warning. When I went out one day it just simply refused to start.

Replaced mine with a SVT Focus pump which oddly enough flows more than the stock '98 pump and it was way cheaper too.

1998 Cobra Vert

Established Member
Thanks again for the replies. I actually changed the IAC a month ago yet have not driven the car since the roads still have salt on them. I drove the car a few times in March when the roads were clear and I was getting a surging idle so I replaced the IAC yet have not driven the car since.

Fuel filter I am sure is original. Does anyone have the part number for the SVT Focus fuel pump that works on the '98 Cobra? I'm only coming up with a BBK part #1861 as a direct replacement.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Throw a fuel pressure gauge on that bad boy. See what it's at with the key on, engine off. Then see what it goes to when cranking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

04DeadShort

SVT Addict
Established Member
It's been 5+ years since I worked on my fuel system but I remember having a issue kinda like that. It was the check valve in the fuel tank on the return line. It was only specific to the 98's as they was the transition year. It has a variable voltage pump on a return style setup. I think I cut it out and plumbed the return straight back in the tank. Haven't had a issue since.

Users who are viewing this thread