1997 Cobra edges STi and kills 94 5.0 *Vid*

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
I recently lured my friend with an 05 STi into racing me, after a long time of asking for a race. Some Napolean style guerilla warfare lol. If anyone remembers we had tried to race a while back ago and it didn't go well as the the STi took off on the second honk. I promised a rematch and a video, and well its here.

So the race was not set up and was really at chance as I was unsure what would really happen. I just know we set out on a drive to get some exhaust videos with a mach 1 and GT.

After some exhaust recording and during the recording we were hit by a haboob! Its a crazy sand storm that happens here in the desert! Basically a huge wall of dirt comes rolling through the cities. We embarked on a drive out to the freeway to capture some fly bys when little did we know we were lined up as a trio rather than a fly by exhaust video. As fate had it, it was on!

1. With some sort of confusion on the honking, the honks began than began again and finally I took over and honked it off. 3 lanes deep 94 5.0 vs 05 STi vs 97 Cobra, 60 roll it is. The Sti was brake boosting during the honks. 3rd honk came and the 4.10 gearing of the Cobra was too much for the brake boosting stock turbo STi, yet the STi managed to reel me back in. Low and behold the Cobra bounced back with a little bite and took the win all the way out to the top of 4th by idk a half car maybe. Cobra brakes hardcore to avoid a fatal turn at 127mph yet STi takes it like a boss. The 5.0 is reeled in by the Mach 1 chase car lol.

2. Second race: Same cars, but this time its 40mph. There again was some confusion on who was doing the honking as it was a spontaneous event. So as the confusion lingered, the STi took off as well as the 5.0 and I was apparently asleep and reacted too late. Couldn't reel in the STi. 5.0 reeled in again lol.

3. I asked for another 40 and was given a go. 3 honks no confusion this time and the Cobra pulls ahead by 1-2 cars I believe. STi guy will correct if I got it wrong. I just remember being ahead at 127mph and receiving a thumbs up.

4. Another 60 to settle the dispute. 3 honks and take off. 5.0 is immediately left behind like the dinosaurs and the STi and Cobra wing it out one pulling ahead than the other till finally the Cobra wins with the STi front bumper at my window. What a race! Don't you love those close race?!

Mods in vid. Really surprised by my car!! But WTF is it me or was the bolt on Mach 1 reeling us all in?! Mach 1 vs 97 Cobra soon to come; might even include an LS2 GTO, 2011/12? WRX, and perhaps a hatchback STi @ 350awhp.

Enjoy!
2005 STi vs Cobra and 5.0 GT Desert Racing - YouTube

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
Nice runs. A Mach1 with bolts on's can be a stout challenge. They are no slouches. Remember that is a 32v 4cam basically a 03 Cobra motor without a blower, and a little less power. But bolt on's can wake those vehicles up.

Man that poor sn95 5.0.....Its in desperate need of some go-fast parts.

MACHXLR8

Third Member
Established Member
OP..Nice runs man! Your car pulls really good up top. Looks like the 94 5.0 did not really have a chance though.
:beer:

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Nice runs. A Mach1 with bolts on's can be a stout challenge. They are no slouches. Remember that is a 32v 4cam basically a 03 Cobra motor without a blower, and a little less power. But bolt on's can wake those vehicles up.

Man that poor sn95 5.0.....Its in desperate need of some go-fast parts.
Indeed. Its crazy what C heads can do for you lol. Yes I know what a mach is lol. You are correct though. Yeah its crazy how well they respond to bolt ons. Haha yes he's working on that but it'll be aslow process.
OP..Nice runs man! Your car pulls really good up top. Looks like the 94 5.0 did not really have a chance though.
:beer:
Thanks! It pulls pretty well, but I wish it would pull more lol. I have no chance against the top end of that mach whenever we do race. Hahaha no it didn't lol. He got that thing for $1500 in great condition with 90k miles. He's working on the mods fosure.

O3dsg

Established Member
I bet that SN95s valve springs are floating at upper RPMs My wife had a 94 5.0 and after about 120,000+ miles the valve springs did not do that poor motor any justice. Any way great job on representing us 4.6 NA 32v guys!

flS/R

Established Member
sti is a good car but it is nice to see a Cobra get the upper hand

justinr1001

Established Member
Nice runs! And if your buddy in the mach drives remotely close during the race as he did while chasing you should smoke him.

T.Man

Established Member
Nice work OP.

Shoot me a PM. Wouldn't mind seeing how my 4 door turbo rental car performs. :beer:

blkvenm97

Established Member
nice runs...glad to see a 97 cobra put a whoopin on some stuff. I did this a lot in my old 97 cobra but unfortunately I did not have a camera then so no vids of any of it. I really wish I had invested in a camera. I now have a bolt on 03 mach and it's definately a tad quicker than my 97 cobra was with the mods in sig. my cobra had a k&n drop in, offroad h, flows and 4.10 gears. the gears my cobra had would have made it a decent race but I still think my mach would pull it. can't wait to see the vid of that race!

SneakyPete

Banned
nice runs...glad to see a 97 cobra put a whoopin on some stuff. I did this a lot in my old 97 cobra but unfortunately I did not have a camera then so no vids of any of it. I really wish I had invested in a camera. I now have a bolt on 03 mach and it's definately a tad quicker than my 97 cobra was with the mods in sig. my cobra had a k&n drop in, offroad h, flows and 4.10 gears. the gears my cobra had would have made it a decent race but I still think my mach would pull it. can't wait to see the vid of that race!

just so you know, a bolt-on GD STi will put 2-3 cars on a Mach with your mods unless the driver is Stephen Hawking...

AZSN95SNAKE

Established Member
Thanks guys! I was really surprised honestly. My car always gets down played since its so old. I'm glad it was able to hold its own.

Nice work OP.

Shoot me a PM. Wouldn't mind seeing how my 4 door turbo rental car performs. :beer:
Thanks man. It took some work on that shifting.

Haha STi? EVO? What car? I love me a turbo four :) I grew in the rally world. I'll send you a PM since we're actually looking to do some more runs. 11/12 wrx, ls2 GTO, mach 1, 05 STi, another mach 1, 11 STi.

just so you know, a bolt-on GD STi will put 2-3 cars on a Mach with your mods unless the driver is Stephen Hawking...
I call BS!! Stephen Hawking would build a robot to drive that thing to the moon!! Bolt on STi's are pretty damn quick forsure. But a mach with bolt ons and LTs might be able to do some work on the STi, possibly.

Hell yeah that's what I'm happy about my old cobra still has some go in it. Ahh get that camera! That mach wants to shine on camera! The mach would pull it trust me. Yeah I think I'll get obliterated in the top end. We've raced just not on film yet.

Nice runs! And if your buddy in the mach drives remotely close during the race as he did while chasing you should smoke him.
He was reeling us in though? with crappy shifting. I may be able to take him from a 20 roll and dig forsure. anything above that and I lose.

Have you ever run the Mach in your cobra?
yes, we're like 50/50. I've won 2 60 rolls, 1 25 roll, and 1 40. But he's won a 60, and like 4 40 rolls lol. Its crazy. his car seems to be running better now though.

Rear shots FTMFL!!

Sorry next time we'll try to put the camera car on the side so you can see the insane wheelies we pull on the street! :rockon:

jk

SneakyPete

Banned
well a TBE, intake, bov stage 2 GARBAGE COBB tune 05 STi was enough to walk briskly away from a Mach w/ full exhaust, intake and a tune so....

Users who are viewing this thread