1996 Skyline V-Spec GTR

Zemedici

Established Member
don't see the infatuation. Yeah they have strong motors, but meh, not NEAR worth what people pay for them

xenodragon

Established Member
You know what? This will decimate all, after, you put about fifteen grand in it or more. If we have to, overnight parts from Japan.

truefiveo

Established Member
That's what pisses me off about the US.
The coolest most affordable car to me isn't available here.
Out of all the cars in the world this one has to be the got damn black sheep of the US.
If they are legalized here, then every asshole douche bag seller will triple the asking price of them just because they are indeed the black sheep.
Nissan_Skyline_R34_GT-R_N%C3%BCr_001.jpg

Last edited:

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
That's what pisses me off about the US.
The coolest most affordable car to me isn't available here.
Out of all the cars in the world this one has to be the got damn black sheep of the US.
If they are legalized here, then every asshole douche bag seller will triple the asking price of them just because they are indeed the black sheep.
Nissan_Skyline_R34_GT-R_N%C3%BCr_001.jpg

A decent R34 GT-R is around 400000 yen already. It was much less last year.

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member

blk02edge

Established Member
yea they were going for stupid money when they were finally allowed in, especially in vancouver where all the rich people are. I saw them as high as 100k

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
yea they were going for stupid money when they were finally allowed in, especially in vancouver where all the rich people are. I saw them as high as 100k

I wouldn't be shocked if that is the price in a few years. They are going up in value sharply in Japan, which is why I plan on importing one soon :)

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
The mark 4 supra looks way better than all the generations of the GTR.

However I'd rather have an R35 over all of them. It's just better and actually worth buying. The R34 is ok, but it just doesn't appeal to me.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Wondering how he is going to skirt the 25 year requirement. I have looked into it some, and seems 25 years is a hard line.

Seems like they may sell you the car then leave you having to figure out how to get it legal...or buy it and build it over the next 4 years while waiting for it to be legal. :lol1:

The R33 is the model that has been crash tested and approved by the DOT. The R34 is the one that they have stuck under the 25 year rule due to the body structure change going from the R33 to the R34.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
The R33 is the model that has been crash tested and approved by the DOT. The R34 is the one that they have stuck under the 25 year rule due to the body structure change going from the R33 to the R34.

still not epa approved and they never finished the crash testing certification from what ive read. they are still not legal in the US. R32 only. epa approval and crash testing are both strict requirements for cars to get in. thats why only manufacturers can pull it off. you need big $$ to get all of that done.

my gf works for customs on the import side. she sees GTRs come in every now and then. 2 just recently. they thoroughly scrutinize the cars to make sure they are at least 25 years old. and theyre well aware of these cars. as well as mini coopers and land rovers that people try to sneak in with swapped VINs and other bogus paperwork. those are even more common with a customer base believe it or not. as far as people actually importing and buying them. they actually had a japanese customs officer working here in their office with them as part of the exchange program. and we have customs officers all over the world in other countries as well.

still, stuff slips by. just way too many things get imported to be able to catch everything. it comes down to random checks and targeting based on intel.

when one does get through (illegally) they have to watch out for ICE to come and seize it like they did that one guys car. came to his house with a flatbed and took his car away.

when the R34 is finally legal (after the 25 year wait) they will fetch a premium here. fan boys with $$ will be grabbing them.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
still not epa approved and they never finished the crash testing certification from what ive read. they are still not legal in the US. R32 only. epa approval and crash testing are both strict requirements for cars to get in. thats why only manufacturers can pull it off. you need big $$ to get all of that done.

my gf works for customs on the import side. she sees GTRs come in every now and then. 2 just recently. they thoroughly scrutinize the cars to make sure they are at least 25 years old. and theyre well aware of these cars. as well as mini coopers and land rovers that people try to sneak in with swapped VINs and other bogus paperwork. those are even more common with a customer base believe it or not. as far as people actually importing and buying them. they actually had a japanese customs officer working here in their office with them as part of the exchange program. and we have customs officers all over the world in other countries as well.

still, stuff slips by. just way too many things get imported to be able to catch everything. it comes down to random checks and targeting based on intel.

when one does get through (illegally) they have to watch out for ICE to come and seize it like they did that one guys car. came to his house with a flatbed and took his car away.

when the R34 is finally legal (after the 25 year wait) they will fetch a premium here. fan boys with $$ will be grabbing them.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/FAQ Site/pages/page10.html

Straight from the NHTSA board.

Legal for the R33 between January 1, 1996 and June 30, 1998 are eligible for importation and has assigned vehicle eligibility number VCP-32 to those vehicles. The agency therefore partially rescinded its grant of eligibility, leaving only R33 model Nissan GTS and GTR passenger cars manufactured between January 1, 1996 and June 30, 1998 eligible for importation.

This is only if completed by a registered importer.

Still legal as long as the R.I. can get the conformance bond for the vehicle.

The OBD II process can be completed by JK Tech here in Baltimore for the EPA compliance. It will cost a fortune but you can legally import an R33 Skyline into the United States. Worth it? No.

Last edited:

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member

0-60MRex01+02x.jpg

0-60MRex03.jpg

0-60MRex04.jpg

0-60MRex05.jpg

0-60MRex06.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread