1986 Mustang SVO Resto-Mods Build

unclesams_svt

B.O.H.I.C.A
Established Member
I have had this car for over 10 years now, I bought it in 2006 w/54K miles on it....fast forward to now and it has right around-70K miles. During this time I have done a few mods here and there (rebuilt turbo, installed an IRS, FMIC, serpentine setup, DIY rotated upper, Cobra brakes, etc). Now after a few years of rat-holing more money and parts I am ready to finish the "mod" part of "resto".

I am installing MM coil overs in the front front and rear along with their full K-Member kit. Next I am replacing the ECU for a PIMP ECU w/ a wideband (going to figure out this data-logging thing). Then comes the fuel system, every thing is getting replaced except for the fuel tank (just going to freshen it up) and upgrade the fuel lines, FPR, fuel rail, fuel pump install 60# injectors.

Now for the wheels, my plan is to run a staggered setup of Motegi "Tracklite" wheels w/ 18x9 for the rear and 18x8 in the front. I am waiting to install all the suspension parts in order to figure out the correct backspacing. I plan on running 275/35/40 and 255/34/18 Nitto NT05 tires and I hope everything works out and looks good.

Once the "mod" part is done I plan on turing to the "resto" part to bring back the glory of my SVO. There are a few parts that have broke over the years or are just plain worn out. Once those are all taken care of I want to repaint the car in the spring same color combo (Sliver w/black trim).

Enough of my talking...on with the pictures.

I have added a few picture of the engine clean up I did and the IRS swap as well.

Attachments

• SVO on jacks.jpg
    SVO on jacks.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 525
  • DSCF0571.JPG
    DSCF0571.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 407
  • 536055_4792930095325_439613198_n.jpg
    536055_4792930095325_439613198_n.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 330
  • 10563020_10203716301802218_7616794049694965146_n.jpg
    10563020_10203716301802218_7616794049694965146_n.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 346

unclesams_svt

B.O.H.I.C.A
Established Member
I started on the fuel system first. After the sticker shock of replacing everything and upgrading it to a braided/hard line system wore off I started with ripping everything out. I removed and drained the 15 gal of 2 year old gas (man that was a mess), the only thing that I am reusing is the tank. I replaced all the gaskets, sending unit, pump, vapor valve and I swapped the stock fuel pump hanger for one from a 94/95 Mustang that has a 3/8" feed and return line. I will have a picture of the differences once it shows up.

I also installed a rear tow strap, I did auto-x and road race the car a few times before I put the car in "time-out" for leaving me stranded a few years ago.

I have read that the SCCA now requires a front and rear tow point....so that is what I shall do.

I bent up a piece of metal to help re-enfore the rear bumper shock so it does not pull apart if I ever need to use the tow point. With a small zip tie the tow strap tucks up nicely out of the way so it does not look like a tongue flapping out from under the bumper. Then on the track day just cut the zip tie and it is ready to go.

Last edited:

SinisterMustang

Established Member
Not everyday you see a clean SVO with low miles. 90% of them in the California area are completely destroyed and rotting in a field.

What's next on the mod list?

unclesams_svt

B.O.H.I.C.A
Established Member
For some reason I cannot upload anymore pictures......So here is some more verbiage.
The fuel hanger showed up today, so on with finishing up the fuel tank. I used a 94/95 Mustang fuel hanger (Spectra FG30B) because it has a larger 3/8" feed line (vs' the 5/16" SVO one). For the fuel pump I used an Aeromotive 11540 Fuel Pump just encase I decide to run the car on E85 since 91 oct is about as good as it gets in Las Vegas.

I had to cut, splice and solider the fuel pump harness to the hanger harness, then a shrink wrapped everything and made sure there was nothing rubbing against each other. I thought I could use a hose clamp to secure the harness but I was wrong...so I used a zip tie instead. I am using Russell AN to SAE adapters so I can used braided fuel line instead of the OEM stuff. The fitting part numbers are (Russell 641303) for the 1/4" return line and (Russell 640853) for the 3/8" supply line.

Once all of the fuel lines arrive I will be able to install the tank and run the fuel lines. I'm sure some people are wondering why I am going the "AN" route instead of just ordering replacement hoses. After pricing it all out, it was about the same cost from tank to fuel rail for each setup. I figured running the AN stuff will look nicer and I will be able to run the lines around all of the non-oem parts that I have installed on the car over the years.

Fomoco69

Established Member
Not everyday you see a clean SVO with low miles. 90% of them in the California area are completely destroyed and rotting in a field.

What's next on the mod list?
I agree....I also live in Roseville & recently bought a super clean / one owner 2003 / Mach-1 with 13,500 miles but had to have it delivered from another state....

Fomoco69

Established Member
For some reason I cannot upload anymore pictures......So here is some more verbiage.
The fuel hanger showed up today, so on with finishing up the fuel tank. I used a 94/95 Mustang fuel hanger (Spectra FG30B) because it has a larger 3/8" feed line (vs' the 5/16" SVO one). For the fuel pump I used an Aeromotive 11540 Fuel Pump just encase I decide to run the car on E85 since 91 oct is about as good as it gets in Las Vegas.

I had to cut, splice and solider the fuel pump harness to the hanger harness, then a shrink wrapped everything and made sure there was nothing rubbing against each other. I thought I could use a hose clamp to secure the harness but I was wrong...so I used a zip tie instead. I am using Russell AN to SAE adapters so I can used braided fuel line instead of the OEM stuff. The fitting part numbers are (Russell 641303) for the 1/4" return line and (Russell 640853) for the 3/8" supply line.

Once all of the fuel lines arrive I will be able to install the tank and run the fuel lines. I'm sure some people are wondering why I am going the "AN" route instead of just ordering replacement hoses. After pricing it all out, it was about the same cost from tank to fuel rail for each setup. I figured running the AN stuff will look nicer and I will be able to run the lines around all of the non-oem parts that I have installed on the car over the years.

Also A veteran & good to see female mustangers.....

BLKFOX

Established Member
Very nice. Looks like you've got a really good foundation to work with!

Users who are viewing this thread