1972 Karmann Ghia Coupe

moddestmike

2 Degrees/Still Confused
Established Member
So some of your guys remember me inquiring about classic VW's, more specifically Super Beetles. Well I came across this Ghia and just curious as to reliability and source-ability of parts. If I deem this a daily, would I need to concern myself with anything outside of routine maintenance? It seems to be in really good shape.

1972 VW Karmann Ghia For Sale @ Oldbug.com

96 cobra

Established Member
Definitely not worth $15k, but yes, seems to be a very solid car...
If it's going to be a DD, I'd concern myself with the lack of modern safety devices, even if the accident is under 30mph you'll be in serious world of hurt.

On the other hand, I'd definitely get one as a weekend car, maybe even do some mild mods to it:
DSCN2668.JPG

moddestmike

2 Degrees/Still Confused
Established Member
Definitely not worth $15k, but yes, seems to be a very solid car...
If it's going to be a DD, I'd concern myself with the lack of modern safety devices, even if the accident is under 30mph you'll be in serious world of hurt.

On the other hand, I'd definitely get one as a weekend car, maybe even do some mild mods to it:
DSCN2668.JPG

Thanks for the heads up, the car looks really good and I've had a chat with the owner. As far as DD, he essentially said something along the same lines. Probably not safe enough to drive every day.

But it looks so awesome :cryying:

GodStang

Established Member
My oldest sister DD a 73 and my middle sister DD a 69. We are building a third one now. Safety as said will be an issue. Also if it is stock it is slow as dirt.

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
He is so out of line on the price its ridiculous I would only go 8k on it. And its fine for daily driving what do you think they did when this car was brand new?

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
"This sweet 72 Ghia Coupe has been in the hands of it's 3rd owner since new...and he has had it since the 1980s!!"

Is anybody else confused by this sentence?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I've never owned a Ghia but have always liked their design. I'd have no problem driving one daily, despite the lack of modern safety features. But I'd definitely want to do something with the motor if it was stock. JMO.

mysterio

Established Member
Yes I think he drove three models in the series Karm. Ghia, Sunbeam Tiger, and I think a Triumph Sprite or a MG. But I remember the Tiger and Ghia for sure.

Good memory. I haven't seen the show in years, but only remember the Sunbeam Tiger, which looked a little like a Triumph or MG.

Users who are viewing this thread