1911 Light

Papaw

Established Member
I like the idea of sleeping with the night vision goggles. That and a C-pap machine would scare anyone away.

They'll think they broke into an alien's house.

nickf2005

Established Member
First of all I use a Surefire 6PX Pro.
Most Maglite flashlights that can be operated single handed are quite large "C" or "D" cell models.

Secondly you still just pointed a loaded gun at your 16 year old daughter with a pistol mounted light.
Some people attempting to clear their house will be scared shitless doing it.
Some will have minimal training.
Some will have their finger on the trigger instead of pointing straight ahead along the frame of the pistol.
Some may even pull the trigger instead of turning on the light.

I live alone so there is no expectation of someone being in my home.
If I wee training for a home with other occupants I would train with a flashlight that wasn't attached to a firearm.

The first question I have to people is are you actively training or just running scenarios in your head hoping for a good outcome if the need arises?

What's one of the 4 safety rules of handling a firearm? "Don't point the firearm at something you're not willing to destroy." If you have to use a light that's mounted to know what you're aiming at, you'll never know if you're breaking the rule or not.

I've had a couple late-night doorbells/knocks in my previous house that was adjacent to a sketchy neighborhood. I always took these as distractions to get the door as somebody came up behind, so I always "stayed frosty". Pistol aimed downward if left, flashlight (off) in right, and slowly made my way to a front window, and keeping my head on a swivel. I'm no Seal or LEO, but it's the best I've got.

Since we've moved into a much larger house, I've not yet "trained". The previous was easy to pull off in a 1400 sq. ft, single-level house. However, now in a 3,600 two-level, I have to play a whole new ballgame. I need to devise a plan and train. Just haven't been diligent enough to do so yet. It helps that we're secluded in a much better area now, along with a security alarm.

Thump_rrr

Established Member
What's one of the 4 safety rules of handling a firearm? "Don't point the firearm at something you're not willing to destroy." If you have to use a light that's mounted to know what you're aiming at, you'll never know if you're breaking the rule or not.

I've had a couple late-night doorbells/knocks in my previous house that was adjacent to a sketchy neighborhood. I always took these as distractions to get the door as somebody came up behind, so I always "stayed frosty". Pistol aimed downward if left, flashlight (off) in right, and slowly made my way to a front window, and keeping my head on a swivel. I'm no Seal or LEO, but it's the best I've got.

Since we've moved into a much larger house, I've not yet "trained". The previous was easy to pull off in a 1400 sq. ft, single-level house. However, now in a 3,600 two-level, I have to play a whole new ballgame. I need to devise a plan and train. Just haven't been diligent enough to do so yet. It helps that we're secluded in a much better area now, along with a security alarm.
This is my main reasoning against a pistol mounted light aside from the aesthetics of a railed 1911.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
First of all I use a Surefire 6PX Pro.
Most Maglite flashlights that can be operated single handed are quite large "C" or "D" cell models.

Irrelevant. Your bobbling two items around instead of focusing on using your pistol.

Secondly you still just pointed a loaded gun at your 16 year old daughter with a pistol mounted light.

In my scenario she's still in her room, virginity intact.

Some people attempting to clear their house will be scared shitless doing it.
Some will have minimal training.
Some will have their finger on the trigger instead of pointing straight ahead along the frame of the pistol.
Some may even pull the trigger instead of turning on the light.

These ****s shouldn't even own a gun.

Since we all know they do, the advice should be lock yourself in the bedroom and call 911.

It is extremely rare that's home invader is there for you and your family. It's not worth it to risk killing your daughter or some drunk college kid who got the wrong house because you are worried about the ****ing TV.

I live alone so there is no expectation of someone being in my home.
If I were training for a home with other occupants I would train with a flashlight that wasn't attached to a firearm.

That's fine if that works for you. Given your scenario above, of a inept, terrified gun owner, I doubt they have the ability to negotiate holding a gun, a light, and effectively identifying a threat, assessing the threat and then bringing the weapon to bare on the threat and defending themselves.

In an LEO roll, the large mag light (3 D battery deal) casts a wide far beam so an officer can search and investigate. It's not practical or safe to be waving a gun around looking for foot prints, broken windows, hiding suspects or contraband.

The LEO also doesn't need to conceal their position as the suspect is likely already aware (foot chase etc).

In Military, yes, Night Vision is the way to go because concealment and surprise are fundamentals to survival. It's idiotic and impractical to think NVG should be part of a home defense package.

The first question I have to people is are you actively training or just running scenarios in your head hoping for a good outcome if the need arises?

Yes, I regularly play COD LARP by myself in my house. I need to be ready when they come to take my guns.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Ok guys. I'm just going to strategically place remote explosives throughout the house with a 5-6ft blast radius. Problem solved.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
Unless you shoot all the time in high stress situations, leave the 1911 on the night stand and pick up a shotgun. Your adrenaline will be maxed out and you'll be lucky to hit the ceiling, let alone an intruder. Plus, with a .45, you run a significant risk of punching through interior walls and hurting family members or exterior walls and hurting innocent bystanders.
In close quarters shooting, it's almost a point and shoot/instinctive type of thing where you're mainly focused on the front sight post. Turn on the lights and get to work while your old lady, life partner, or kids call the cops. You're kind of an idiot if you're going through your house Seal Team Six style with a flashlight and a pistol worrying about giving away your position in a home invasion scenario. Too many places for the bad guys to hide. By turning on the lights, you're taking away one of their advantages. They'll be much more likely to be in flight mode.

This.

Blown 89

Established Member
FYI, there are better forums to ask this type of stuff on. Some of the replies in these threads defy logic.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
f5c938ef-5470-48a7-a044-3972d8ae91f3_zpsivyuyvlz.jpg

Well I can tell you why I run a light on my pistol..

Number 1 priority is securing my family. We all sleep upstairs.. IF someone breaks in mine and my wife's plan is pretty simple. I grab my nightstand gun (1911) while she calls 911. I go and grab the kids in the other room. Come back with kids into my room. They get locked in the master bathroom with my wife and her .45.. I stay posted up in my room with my gun for the first line of defense.. So again I have positive control of where my family is at all times. The person I'm searching for when my light comes on will 9/10 get shot.

FWIW I do counter drug LE on my ship right now. So I'm pretty well training (more so than most on this forum)

But once again. 9/10 intruders are going to leave once they hear someones awake.. Especially when they hear a racking of a weapon or even shots fired downstairs if I see them while getting my kids.

Keep it simple people. You're not going to go tactical in your house SEARCHING for the intruders. That's just stupid and a way to get yourself killed. Police will likely be there within 5mins anyways.

Last edited:

badmpg03

Established Member
My .02 :)

If you are trained, keep light on the pistol. The more you shoot and advanced you become you will learn the ultimate safety is your trigger finger, enough said. With that said I carry appendix most of time and have a glock 19 or 43 pointed at my nuts all day. But I shoot 10,000 + rds a year and actively train.

Those saying light off the pistol - I can see the logic, but in reality, shooting one handed while holding a flashlight with your support hand under stress? for 99% of people it does not work and is more dangerous.
Majority of people are probably 2-3x more accurate and have more control with support hand and shooting with two hand verus 1. Shot placement, trigger finger saftey and training is what you need.
I have trained with police and some use separate lights, but they always have pistol lights.

I would also stay around 200 lumens for a pistol light. while I have 500 and 800 lumen lights on my rifles, 200 lum is plenty to blind an attacker indoors. Any stronger and in a house on white walls and you may blind youself from the splash. x300 is great, I like the second gen APL as well. I have broken 2-3 M3 lights after 1000 rds or so and will not go back.

I also prefer handgun versus shotgun. Handgun is easier to maneuver, talk on phone to 911, reload, higher capacity etc. With that said, i prefer AR 15 over handgun. If I hear something in the night, I am grabbing my m4 :)

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
f5c938ef-5470-48a7-a044-3972d8ae91f3_zpsivyuyvlz.jpg

Well I can tell you why I run a light on my pistol..

Number 1 priority is securing my family. We all sleep upstairs.. IF someone breaks in mine and my wife's plan is pretty simple. I grab my nightstand gun (1911) while she calls 911. I go and grab the kids in the other room. Come back with kids into my room. They get locked in the master bathroom with my wife and her .45.. I stay posted up in my room with my gun for the first line of defense.. So again I have positive control of where my family is at all times. The person I'm searching for when my light comes on will 9/10 get shot.
And now everyone knows what you carry and what your plan is...good job. Seems like you may have missed the training on OPSEC.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
And I know all about opsec. It's like putting a security sign out in the lawn. People wanna try there luck that's on them. I'm not in the least bit concerned.

04whitesvtlight

the beast is almost mine
Established Member
I've got a couple of the viridian laser/light combos on some pistols and I really like them. It's another option anyway.

blubyu87gt

Established Member
I go with the Old Man Peabody method and just grab a lantern. If it's good enough to protect the future Lone (or twin depending on time continuum) Pine Mall then it should work for everyone!

latest.jpg

Really though the x300 Ultra is a great light. Check this video out as well. Has some good info

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
Lol. Because people are gonna know where I live.
So every time you've posted on here it's come from the Internet connection on your ship or some other connection other than your home? And you've never bought anything off the Internet either? Don't kid yourself. If you put it out thee on the airwaves, there's somebody that knows how to grab it if they want to.

Users who are viewing this thread