19 year old totals ford GT/Young people & Fast Cars

skipthedrummer

Established Member
This is all in refference to the op with a Z06 with a built motor and a supercharger. In no way could he get that on his own no matter how well he saved growing up. Think about it. What bank is going to give a loan to a 20 year old for a Z06? And then for him to turn around and build the motor and add the supercharger?

I say kid is lucky to have been born with wealthy parents. Congrates to him. Big deal life isnt fair so no use in me getting pissy over it.

Agreed, my car was around 19,000, and I got a loan through a credit union.

I'm not saying I could afford to build my motor quite yet, but it is possible for a young kid like me to afford a fast car on his own.

Hitman318

My other car is a cruiser
Established Member
its toss up either way guys, for every one young guy that has a badass car and drives it correctly on the road and tries to go to the track, there is a wannabe paul walker cutting everyone else off in his daddy's new z06. Some kids nowadays have more track time under their belt than some of yall "older experienced" drivers. Yeah racing on a controlled course is way different but it still teaches you fundamental driving techniques such as car control and ability to make quick desicions. I grew up racing shifter karts and it helps ALOT more than people think it does. There are some things you can learn in drivers ed while practicing your 3 point turns.

Now does this mean that any kid that has a racing background wont go out and wreck a powerful car, hell no. lol. A kid is only as good as the car he has, and if that car has more skill then him, its alot more likely he will get burnt doing something dumb.

And it doesnt have to be in some 75K car either, i saw more idiots in high school driving there moms camry or dads 4runner like they were leading the Indy 500.

Teenagers have the capability of tearing up an anvil in a sand box with a rubber mallet, lol. Im only 20, and have done dumbass things on the road and have almost lost it a few times. Even with racing as a background I still almost sent an F-150 through a fence trying to "drift" lol. You have to learn one way or another. The ones that keep it to the tracks have played on the street, and something scared the ^%$^ out of them, or they have wrecked a car doing something dumb.

Experience only comes from one thing, doing &^$* the wrong way. Those that havent been killed, or wrecked a car, have came close at some point. If not, they will. I think drivers ed should teach a little more car control with the basic rules and ways of the road. Last thing you want is a 16 Year old kid getting a little sideways in bad weather and overeacting or not acting at all. Nobody is born with car control, it is a learned skill.

speedofsound

Centrifuged
Established Member
I won't read 6 pages of this thread, but is that 101 on the other side of the green fence? That area looks familiar.

warpd

Established Member
The majority of drivers are are adults since the majority of the population are of course are adults. The majority of drivers on public roads are horrible. This means the majority of shitty drivers are of course adults. That doesn't make teenagers good drivers but I'm trying to make a point. Some of you guys need to realize that just because you drive at or under the speed limit, have never tried to break the tires loose or never slid a car around alittle bit does not make you good a good driver (in fact I would argue it makes you much worse). A good driver has excellent car control, understands the forces acting on his vehicle, understands how the surface of the road changing affects the grip of the vehicles tires etc. A teenager who has years of experience racing is already a better driver than 99% of the people on the road. The majority of the population views cars a transportation from point A to B and nothing more, this means once they are in the driver seat they might as well be on a bus ride. The average driver is doing anything but trying to pay attention to his driving and what the car is doing. The average driver is talking on their cell phone, eating, texting, taking their eyes completely off the road, following way to close for the speed, applying make up etc. They don't understand or know what understeer or oversteer is or how to counteract them, hell most people don't even know what ABS is or why their brake pedal is pulsing when they slam on the brakes. By being a reasonably well informed automotive enthusaist you are already light years ahead of the average driver. No amount of age can make up for that. With all that said MOST teenagers are horrible drivers, just like everyone else.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Ugh. I hate to come out of retirement for this, but to the OP, I'd HIGHLY suggest you tell your friend that he immediately remove the pics and the bragging from his myspace.

There is nothing funny haha about taking someone else's car that is in for service for a joy ride and totaling it, and until the whole disaster gets legally sorted out, it's definitely in his best interest to be quiet.

Last edited:

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
The majority of drivers are are adults since the majority of the population are of course are adults. The majority of drivers on public roads are horrible. This means the majority of shitty drivers are of course adults. That doesn't make teenagers good drivers but I'm trying to make a point. Some of you guys need to realize that just because you drive at or under the speed limit, have never tried to break the tires loose or never slid a car around alittle bit does not make you good a good driver (in fact I would argue it makes you much worse). A good driver has excellent car control, understands the forces acting on his vehicle, understands how the surface of the road changing affects the grip of the vehicles tires etc. A teenager who has years of experience racing is already a better driver than 99% of the people on the road. The majority of the population views cars a transportation from point A to B and nothing more, this means once they are in the driver seat they might as well be on a bus ride. The average driver is doing anything but trying to pay attention to his driving and what the car is doing. The average driver is talking on their cell phone, eating, texting, taking their eyes completely off the road, following way to close for the speed, applying make up etc. They don't understand or know what understeer or oversteer is or how to counteract them, hell most people don't even know what ABS is or why their brake pedal is pulsing when they slam on the brakes. By being a reasonably well informed automotive enthusaist you are already light years ahead of the average driver. No amount of age can make up for that. With all that said MOST teenagers are horrible drivers, just like everyone else.

So who here is a professional teenage driver? :bored: or a professional driver? You point has no relevance to the OP and our remarks.

And Yea while most drivers on the roads are adult drivers, an over whelming amount of insurance claims and accidents are initiated by young adult or teen drivers based on the actual teen driver : adult driver ratio.:bash:

bony

Why post pictures of wrecked cars that don't belong to you? All what you have accomplished is create added complications in the settlement of a claim, not to mention
caused additional heartache for the owner. Congrats. This is one reason why I never post on this board.
Bony
FordGTForum.com

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Agreed, my car was around 19,000, and I got a loan through a credit union.

I'm not saying I could afford to build my motor quite yet, but it is possible for a young kid like me to afford a fast car on his own.

You still dont see what my point is do you? A Z06! A Z06! A Z06! Right now a C5 Z06 will run $32,000. Thats not including tax, title and license. So really it will be about $35,200 to buy that car today. So think about how much more that car was worth a couple years ago. So his car is now almoust double the cost of your lightning. How much more do you think insurance is going to be for a Z06 compared to a lightning?

Now lets consider the engine. It will probabaly cost you somewere in the 5-7k range to rebuild your motor. How much do you think it will run to build a Z06 motor? Probabaly in the 10-15k range. How much does it cost to upgrade your blower? 3-4k. How much does it cost to put a Procharger on a ZO6? 6,500. And thats just for the P1SC. Then there is the tune, suspension etc. Get my point now? This is not attainable by your typical 20 year old who saved his money well. Daddy came through for him. Good for him. He got lucky in life.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
You still dont see what my point is do you? A Z06! A Z06! A Z06! Right now a C5 Z06 will run $32,000. Thats not including tax, title and license. So really it will be about $35,200 to buy that car today. So think about how much more that car was worth a couple years ago. So his car is now almoust double the cost of your lightning. How much more do you think insurance is going to be for a Z06 compared to a lightning?

Now lets consider the engine. It will probabaly cost you somewere in the 5-7k range to rebuild your motor. How much do you think it will run to build a Z06 motor? Probabaly in the 10-15k range. How much does it cost to upgrade your blower? 3-4k. How much does it cost to put a Procharger on a ZO6? 6,500. And thats just for the P1SC. Then there is the tune, suspension etc. Get my point now? This is not attainable by your typical 20 year old who saved his money well. Daddy came through for him. Good for him. He got lucky in life.

He doesn't understand what you are talking about. Give him a few years of the real world and he should start to figure things out. And I'm sure daddy co-signed the loan to get him $19,000 for his pickup-truck that he continues to call a car. :dw:

Last edited by a moderator:

blk02edge

Established Member
IMO, kids should not be getting high performance cars as their first cars. That's just ****ing retarded.

(this is not pointed at anyone in this thread, but an over all opinion)

There are kids who can handle the "responsibility" but can't actually handle "the car."

You've been driving for less then or a year or 2 and you think you have the ability to drive a 500whp car? You're ****ing crazy.

I see too many kids driving cars that are way out of their league way too early and then parents wonder why insurance rates are so high, or why Johnny is in his third accident or why the cops came to the door at 3am to tell them that Johnny blasted a tree at 90mph and is now a vegtable on life support.

I've been driving for 20 years with ZERO accidents. That's because when I started I drove a 1980 Fairmont with the 4cy/4spd and was told that if I got into an accident, I was off my parents insurance and would no longer be driving any of their cars. I drove that car for almost 7 years and then upgraded to an 1989 5.0 vert, then a 2001 GT and finally an 03 Cobra.

Age has NOTHING to do with it... its all about responsibility, awarness and well.. skill..

every single day I see people who have been driving for many many years but still have absolutely no idea how to drive properly.. (my dad) he is in his mid 60's now has more experience with fast cars than a lot of people but he's still a sketchy driver and even took an s2000 for a flight into a ditch.. :thumbsup:

I know most kids out there are total retards when they drive but to say no kid should have a fast car is plain stupid.

grape

Established Member

man, have i got a deal for you, i'll sell you my '02 z06 that i bought new for $27K, you wanna make some money?

20psirabbit

Established Member
Looks like the one with True Forged wheels that was at the LA Autoshow a few years back? :shrug:

i was going to say the same thing myself, looks like the car on TFs website :nonono:

i don't have a problem with young kids that have nice cars, i have a problem with kids with crappy, unappreciative attitudes that have nice cars. that kid wrecked his car, crap happens. but for him to say "haha, not many can say they totalled a 150k dollar car. I can" is what is wrong with his attitude. kids like this have no business having cars of this caliber if they don't appreciate it, he put his own and more importantly other peoples lives in danger. i'm in socal, i'd love to run into this kid :kaboom:

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
i was going to say the same thing myself, looks like the car on TFs website :nonono:

i don't have a problem with young kids that have nice cars, i have a problem with kids with crappy, unappreciative attitudes that have nice cars. that kid wrecked his car, crap happens. but for him to say "haha, not many can say they totalled a 150k dollar car. I can" is what is wrong with his attitude. kids like this have no business having cars of this caliber if they don't appreciate it, he put his own and more importantly other peoples lives in danger. i'm in socal, i'd love to run into this kid :kaboom:

THIS CAR DID NOT BELONG TO THIS KID. HE TOOK SOMEONE ELSE'S CAR OUT FOR A JOY RIDE WHILE IT WAS AT HIS FATHER'S BODYSHOP FOR SOME WORK AND TOTALED SOMEONE ELSE'S $150k CAR.

I can tell you this, the owner of this car has seen this thread and he's beyond pissed. Wouldn't you be? It's absolute bullshit that this is on the internet, and like I said a few posts ago, if I was the OP or his buddy, I'd be getting this stuff off the internet. If the guy who owns the car wasn't so laid back, or it was my car, this kid would have a face full of missing ****ing teeth by now. That's the last thing I'm adding to this.

Last edited:

blainestang

Established Member
THIS CAR DID NOT BELONG TO THIS KID. HE TOOK SOMEONE ELSE'S CAR OUT FOR A JOY RIDE WHILE IT WAS AT HIS FATHER'S BODYSHOP FOR SOME WORK AND TOTALED SOMEONE ELSE'S $150k CAR.

I can tell you this, the owner of this car has seen this thread and he's beyond pissed. Wouldn't you be? It's absolute bullshit that this is on the internet, and like I said a few posts ago, if I was the OP or his buddy, I'd be getting this stuff off the internet. If the guy who owns the car wasn't so laid back, or it was my car, this kid would have a face full of missing ****ing teeth by now. That's the last thing I'm adding to this.

:eek:

That smiley has never been more appropriate.

brianz426

Established Member
haha long story short. ive been obsessed with cars from day one. when i was 9 i opened up a separate bank account strictly towards my first car. and my parents knew this. i didnt grow up with new tv's or video game systems or new skateboards. i just wanted money to put into my account. my dad is a financial adviser so i basically let him use my money to put wherever, and it worked in my favor.

along the way made some investment projects (bought some cars, fixed them up, sold them for more). once i was old enough to start working i worked as much as i could while still going to school... stopped going out and spending money, would come home for every meal, etc. etc. you'd be surpried how much you would save each month without spending money on food.

folks would help me out a little here and there but it was pretty much all me.

You sound like me when I was young, all I did was save for my 1st car, and I still have it to this day('69 Ply. Road Runner). I'm 44 w/3 kids, on my second marriage, that car and 4 others have been with me for 20 years. Don't let anyone criticize your perseverance.

Last edited:

warpd

Established Member
So who here is a professional teenage driver? :bored: or a professional driver? You point has no relevance to the OP and our remarks.

And Yea while most drivers on the roads are adult drivers, an over whelming amount of insurance claims and accidents are initiated by young adult or teen drivers based on the actual teen driver : adult driver ratio.:bash:

I never said professional driver. A professional driver is one who gets paid to race, that is his career. The vast majority of people race as a hobby and pay for it themselves. The point I was trying to make is there are teenagers who have racing experience and that alone makes them a better driver than the vast majority of adults and probably most of the people on this site. Are they few and far between?, yes of course but that is why someone cannot make a blanket statement like "no teenager should have a fast car". The kid that wrecked the GT was a dumbass and did what MOST teenagers would do, not respect the vehicle he was in and underestimate the level of skill needed to control a car with that amount of power. Not everyone fits into that mold however and they should not be penalized for the dumbass mistakes of others.

Users who are viewing this thread