18x9/10 and 18x9/10.5 w/ KDW2 tires question please

MisterChrome

Established Member
I am currently shopping for new wheels for my 04 Mystichrome Cobra with H&R Race springs. The wheels and tires I am looking at are

18x9/10 2010 GT500 wheel Black (from American Muscle)
18x9/10 Saleen Black (from American Muscle)
18/9/10.5 AFS Cobra Replica Black
BFG KDW2 and g-Force T/A Drag radial

I am torn between these 3 wheels but what I need to know is what size tire could I go for with these wheels and car without having to roll my fender. I've been told multipe times to avoid rolling them because it could damage the paint job. I need help knowing the offsets and if I need spacers. I was hoping to go 265 or 275 fronts and 295 rears with BFG KDW2 or even 315 BFG g-Force T/A if possible. Or do they go bigger than 295 with BFG KDW2s for 18s so I dont need to get a drag radial? Would this work with the wheels I want and/or what would I need to do to make this work? Any help would be great guys. Thanks

And I did do a quick search before posting and did not find my answers. So if you can please guide me or direct me to a thread I may have missed. Thanks again

Last edited:

SVT_Troy

Established Member
KDW2's are garbage, i can't wait to get these things off my car.... I had my fenders rolled and my paint is fine. It just depends on if the person know what there doing or not. If they dont pull out a heat gun or something to warm up the paint/fender up before rolling tell them to stop and find someone else.....

MisterChrome

Established Member
What do you not like about KDW2s? I've been told they handle great. They also look amazing and I like the meaty look of the rears. What would you recommend?

SVT_Troy

Established Member
What do you not like about KDW2s? I've been told they handle great. They also look amazing and I like the meaty look of the rears. What would you recommend?

Having a really agressive/badass thread pattern is about all they do for my power level. I have wheel hoop and no traction. I have new front tires "Michelin pilot sport PS 2's ready to go on for the front and waiting to get MT ET street radials for the rear.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Having a really agressive/badass thread pattern is about all they do for my power level. I have wheel hoop and no traction. I have new front tires "Michelin pilot sport PS 2's ready to go on for the front and waiting to get MT ET street radials for the rear.

Sounds like your suspension not your tires. I will agree they won't hold a ton of power on the straight line, they do grip very well in corners.

x275_eric

Established Member
i have the 18in cobras, 18x9's front and 18x10's rear. i belive they might be 18x10.5's not sure.

tires are 275/35/18 fronts and 295/35/18 rears

have the H&R race spings and the car sits perfect! not too low not too high. no rubing at all.

heres a pic of what she sits like right now with the tires u want.

SANY5118.jpg

MisterChrome

Established Member
i have the 18in cobras, 18x9's front and 18x10's rear. i belive they might be 18x10.5's not sure.

tires are 275/35/18 fronts and 295/35/18 rears

have the H&R race spings and the car sits perfect! not too low not too high. no rubing at all.

heres a pic of what she sits like right now with the tires u want.

SANY5118.jpg

Do you have a pic of it from the rear? Does your car have Isos, factory or mm? I have H&R race no Isos in the front and one in the rear. BTW, if they are AFS cobra's they should be 10.5

I am definitely leaning towards a good cornering/handling tire. I already have a set of drag radials on my car now.

x275_eric

Established Member
car has all Isos and only other under car mods i have are welded subframes.

this is the only pic i have right now of close to the rear

SANY5122.jpg

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Last edited:

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
KDW2's are garbage, i can't wait to get these things off my car.... I had my fenders rolled and my paint is fine. It just depends on if the person know what there doing or not. If they dont pull out a heat gun or something to warm up the paint/fender up before rolling tell them to stop and find someone else.....

they do

for a STREET TIRE..the kdw is a great tire. I can say this as compared to nitto falken and goodyear stuff. And for under $800.00 for 275's and 295's I have been very pleased. 2nd and 3rd gear pulls my rear end plants pretty darn good..FOR A STREET TIRE

MisterChrome

Established Member
OP...where in CALI are you? EBCOBRA is a member on this site and has rolled all my cobras rear fenders. He is the best in the business and its cheap!

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...nyone-need-their-rear-fender-lips-rolled.html

h&r race no iso's...10" fender flush wheel on back with a bfg295 rolled fenders in sig. rockin 2 10" subs w/ box in trunk also. Only rubs on big bumps moving at 60+ mph

Hey man I am in NorCal/Bay Area. Looks like your guy is in SoCal :nonono:

Jefe

Established Member
Love my 335 KDW2s. After they get warmed up they dead hook in 1st for me. No wheel hop ever either. A bit noisy but who cares...

Jefe

Established Member
No, KDW2/KDWNTs are street tires with an aggressive tread pattern. 11" rear wheel, 9.5" front

IMG_3244-2.jpg

IMG_3209-1.jpg

MisterChrome

Established Member
No, KDW2/KDWNTs are street tires with an aggressive tread pattern. 11" rear wheel, 9.5" front

IMG_3244-2.jpg

IMG_3209-1.jpg

:banana: Damn that looks bad ass.

What mods did you do to make it fit? Shaved IRS bolt, rolled fenders? Do you have H&R Race springs? With isos or no isos?

NJredfire03

Established Member
This is what I've seen and learned through my research. CCW's and TF wheels have the perfect offset for these cars and won't hit the subframe bolt even without spacers. With the AFS 18x10.5 you can go a 335 tire like KDW2's, but from the other posts I guess I would stay away from them. I have heard that the Toyo R888's are the best gripping/cornering street tire out there. With a 10in rim, go with a 295, 10.5in rim, go 315 with the R888's. With one ISO in on the rear, you may want to get your fenders rolled no matter what. It's a cheap fix and it will save your expensive tires. For the 10.5in rim, you will need at least a 3/8" spacer and probably the low pro IRS bolt. A lot of people have done well with Lethals spacer and extended lug nut kit. about 90 bucks. I did not do well with that kit and the lug nuts were messing up my OEM studs. So I went out and bought the Moroso wheel studs and open ended lug nuts. I believe the part number for the studs was 46180. They will fit without drilling out the hub. If you just want to go out and buy just rims without having to modify anything else, stay away from the 10.5in rim and go for the 10in rim. As for the tires, i heard toyo R888's. I know a lot of extra info, but I hope it helped out a bit.

Jefe

Established Member
Damn that looks bad ass.
What mods did you do to make it fit? Shaved IRS bolt, rolled fenders? Do you have H&R Race springs? With isos or no isos?
Thanks I love it! Only mod was rolling the fenders. Over 1" of clearance from the stock upper IRS bolt and they sit just about flush with the fenders. Kenny Brown springs in the rear with no isos. Had to put isos back in as it was too low

I bought low profile bolts but decided not to put them on after seeing the clearance. Ill sell them for less than the vendors charge if anyone wants them :beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread