18 gt not starting after sct tune

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I just got an 18 gt yesterday and decided to tune it today. Goes through all the steps, now cranks but wont start. Gives me mileage, not flashing any alarm code. Only code in sct is 315 crank learn. Can't do a crank learn if car doesn't start. Flashed it back to stock same issue. Currently I have the negative cable off. Any other ideas, besides getting with SCT next week?

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
tried that also. I'll get on the phone hopefully with SCT tomorrow. If not I'll tow it to the dealer so they can reflash.

railroad

Established Member
Often posters forget to mention work or changes they make prior to posting the problems they are having.
As stated you got an 18 GT and put a SCT tune in it and now it will not start, old tune nor new tune.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Often posters forget to mention work or changes they make prior to posting the problems they are having.
As stated you got an 18 GT and put a SCT tune in it and now it will not start, old tune nor new tune.

new to me. putting the base sct 93 tune in the vehicle. 0 other mods.

Often posters dont read what is said , before replying ......

Thanks.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Did you happen to fully charge the battery and make sure its health is 100%

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Did you happen to fully charge the battery and make sure its health is 100%

yes. Car is currently at the dealership where they have installed a factory program. still doesn't start. The issue is I did not reset the SCT BDX to factory. Although it was pulling the VIN for the mustang it still held the custom tunes for the Ecoboost pickup. When I loaded the "93 performance" it was actually the pickup tune and not a 5.0 tune. Everything has been restored but still cranking fine just not starting. Last time I personally checked was still showing po315 crank sensor relearn. So I'm not sure if it killed the PCM or the crank sensor. Also it used to make an audible click noise in the steering column when pushing the start button, I noted it no longer did that. Not sure if that has anything to do with the current problem.

Words of advice as I never even thought of this. If you reuse your SCT device do a factory reset so it removes any old custom tunes from the device. I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
yes. Car is currently at the dealership where they have installed a factory program. still doesn't start. The issue is I did not reset the SCT BDX to factory. Although it was pulling the VIN for the mustang it still held the custom tunes for the Ecoboost pickup. When I loaded the "93 performance" it was actually the pickup tune and not a 5.0 tune. Everything has been restored but still cranking fine just not starting. Last time I personally checked was still showing po315 crank sensor relearn. So I'm not sure if it killed the PCM or the crank sensor. Also it used to make an audible click noise in the steering column when pushing the start button, I noted it no longer did that. Not sure if that has anything to do with the current problem.

Words of advice as I never even thought of this. If you reuse your SCT device do a factory reset so it removes any old custom tunes from the device. I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

Thanks for the heads up. Keep us posted.

decipha

Established Member
I indirectly had to deal with this once before myself.

A few years ago a gentleman purchased a slightly used 2015 GT from the dealer local to me here in new orleans. The new owner loaded a canned sct tune in it and just like that it would not run. SCT got involved and they too could not get it to run. He brought the vehicle to the dealer and they loaded a stock tune to it and could not get it to run. So it went higher up the food chain to their manager who called us to diagnose it (we have a strong relationship with this dealer as they drop off new vehicles to our shop regularly for turbo kits). Anywho they dropped it off and I too couldnt get it to run on a stock tune. I started snooping around and found that they replaced the inlet pipe with a much larger one. Neither the owner nor the dealer knew it was aftermarket as it was a very clean stock appearing piece.

I kicked up the maf significantly and all was well.

Moral of the story is just cuz you purchased it as stock doesnt mean it is. I've personally ran in to another coyote that was bought used and dropped off for a turbo kit install. The owner assumed it was all stock and other than a slightly modified fuel system and 90lb injectors it was. That owner had no idea as well.

Not saying thats your problem as it sounds like youve got it figured out but might be a good idea to just verify everything is stock otherwise. Its near impossible to not have a modified mustang in some way or another when buying used in my experiences.

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
This doesnt make sense to me. If the device was not reset from the truck, it would not let you flash on the mustang.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
So trying to load the tune for your truck fried the ECU?
That's what they're saying. So it's on order.

This doesnt make sense to me. If the device was not reset from the truck, it would not let you flash on the mustang.
You would think. the truck was returned to stock. The tuner pulled up the mustang. showed 50 mustang tune, and under that was 87 performance, 91 performance, and 93 performance. I flashed the 93 performance not realizing that was the custom tune for the truck and not a generic canned 93 mustang tune. Now why would it allow that tune to ever be loaded considering it should have something showing a vin mismatch in the tune itself? So word of advice if you have multiple cars make sure to put the tuner to factory reset or else it will hold any custom tune and let you load that into the completely incorrect vehicle.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
pre and after tune pics...
MUSTANG1.jpg
MUSTANG.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread