17lbs/Whipple/698rwhp??

94-98 Trans Am

Established Member
Met a guy at the track with with a shadow grey whipple saying he made 698rwhp on 17lbs. I looked at the car and he wasn't lying about the boost, stock lower, 3.0 upper.

He had some weight reduction, solid rear, suspension, etc. Ran a 10.1 @ 139 with a 1.45 60' so he makes the power.

The question is..how is 698rwhp possible on 17lbs? Why does it seem everyone is making 650's or so on 23lbs..

It had a race tune, but would a race tune make 100 more rwhp?

I was very confused, the car didn't sound like it had cams..

-Corey

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
He was spraying on top of what you saw to make that power. The MPH sounds right for the power he says he has, but it's impossible to do that on 17 lbs of boost alone.

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
I'm with Scott. No way a Whipple @ 17psi will trap 139 by itself. He is hiding a small shot if he is truely only running a 17psi pulley combo. Sure it was the stock lower?

Last edited:

GodStang

Established Member
Juice only way. Just to give you an idea. I had stage III cams, Kooks LTs, 302 stroker, and a 2.2L with just a 3" upper and was only putting down 649 and everyone said my numbers are way high.

04torchred

Established Member
Maybe he had ported heads, bigger motor like a 324 and LT and was pullied for like 22-24psi. However even then 17psi with that would be a stretch, I would think it would still be higher. Like others have said he must have been bumping a small shot.

realaxed83

Established Member
I'm also a doubter but what gas was he running...110, 116? I still don't think with race gas and more timing that it would make 698, but I have been wrong before.

94-98 Trans Am

Established Member
He was running race fuel. Maybe JDM will chime in, they tuned it so Im assuming this was on their dyno?

I agree with Sambandit..the hp he says and traps make sense..but on 17lbs, they don't make sense..

The stock lower was on this cobra, along with a 3.0 upper.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
No way 698rwhp and 139mph traps are happening out of a 281cid
motor and a 17psi 2.3L Whipple.

If he's running 10.10's at almost 140mph, he's clearly no bullshitter. I'm
guessing he a lot more mods than you are aware of...such as a big cube
motor or some nitrous.

94-98 Trans Am

Established Member
He could have a built motor, but wouldn't it eat up more boost? I saw a 3.0 upper and a stock lower. Wouldn't that require a more agressive pulley setup?

-Corey

SynMan5.0

Established Member
Why does everyone automatically assume he's hiding something? All anybody knows is that he has a Whipple. My car made 640 rwhp at ~18 psi with a Whipple on pump gas. That was with some very minor head work and running through the stock IRS. A solid axle won't lose as much power to the ground. He could have nitrous, but he could also just have some good port work done on the heads, mild cams, etc., etc. Just seems to me that everyone is quick to call BS on a car that no one knows anything about.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I don't think everyone's necessarily saying he's hiding something.....94-98 TA just said he had met the guy at the track and he just really knew only basic info on the Cobra. But, there's a bunch of fast fellas on this site and experience has indicated that to run that kind of time with that MPH, requires more boost production and/or a shot of nitrous. I don't think the dyno #'s are as much of an issue because they can tend to be inconsistent from dyno to dyno, but track #'s don't usually lie!!!

SynMan5.0

Established Member
Yeah, but he did say that the car had some weight reduction, a solid axle, and some suspension work. With a 1.45 60', I don't think it's out of the question that he might not be spraying.

sambandit

SVT God
Established Member
Jinxd4.6 said:
Yeah, but he did say that the car had some weight reduction, a solid axle, and some suspension work. With a 1.45 60', I don't think it's out of the question that he might not be spraying.
For me, it's the 3 inch upper pulley. Let me say, I can believe for sure that it's possible, I'm not doubting that. I know a couple guys with KB 2.2 trapping 140 ish with no N20... The thing that dosen't make sense is the pulley. A 3 inch pulley is good for 17 lbs, no doubt.... But if the car had more cubes, or was cammed, or had LTs (all of which are neccesary to run 140 without N20) He would be making about 12 lb of boost with the 17 lb pulley....

Now, if he had a 3 inch upper, and a 4 lb lower or something and was seeing 17 lbs of boost, it would make sense, but not with a upper alone seeing the boost it should be seeing.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Jinxd4.6 said:
The best I've seen is Nighthawk's 2.2 KB Terminator that ran a best of 10.08 on blower only. He was running a 2.2 KB at 24+/- lbs of boost with a TON of weight reduction.....I believe the car weighed in at 3,200 lbs without driver, and Mike Koval probably weighs about 190 lbs. And he is one driving SOB.

If our friend we're referring to is indeed on blower only, then he has the fastest Terminator with that setup that has been reported......

Last edited:

94-98 Trans Am

Established Member
I asked him if he was running nitrous and he said, no. Def. a stock lower and 3.0 upper..I double checked. I didn't want to hassle the guy and tell him his #'s were bogus. It trapped 139 so I knew it was no joke..but on 17lbs thats what has me.

Here is a picture of the car. It is/was a dark shadow grey car, but I think the color is modified slightly (repainted)

12-10-06%20158.jpg

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Juice!----I'm running 17 lbs and only making 624rwhp-----NO WAY he's making 70+ more hp without some other type of power adder, I don't care if God hiself tuned the car.

Last edited:

04yellowcobra

Established Member
redfire550hp said:
Juice!----I'm running 17 lbs and only making 624rwhp-----NO WAY he's making 70+ more hp without some other type of power adder, I don't care if God hiself tuned the car.

If this is a valid statement ... your car with a solid axle will make right around 650 rear wheel. The gap has now been narrowed by 25. So its not unheard of he may have a few more goodies under the hood to make up the other 45 ponies.

Later

Users who are viewing this thread