170 or 180 degree thermostat?

efurlong

Established Member
Hello all - quick question. I'm about to get my 13 GT500 tuned - Car has 373's (already tuned / compensated for with a hand held SCT) That is the extent of my current tune. I just purchased a VMP 2.4'' pulley along with their 90mm idler, I also have a FRPP intake resonator delete with a K & N, and a FRPP CJ 65mm TB...so I'm going to get a new tune to accommodate the pulley etc. My tuner said that a new thermostat is not absolutely necessary. I agree, it may not be - but if I'm going to have it tuned anyway - why not go a little lower temp and program the fans accordingly. Any opinions here? That said is there a "high flow" unit available? Any downsides to a lower temp thermostat? Should I get a 180 or a 170? Thanks in advance!

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I'm biased, since your plan is very similar to mine, but that sounds like a solid set of upgrades. (I'm still on stock 3.31 gears and I added a VMP Dual Fan Triple Pass Heat Exchanger, but intake, TB, pulley, etc are all comparable.)

In answer to your question, I went with a Reische 170' thermostat that my tuner folded into the tune.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Frankly, no one makes a 180* that's exactly right for our cars, so the real choices are factory or Reische. Setting the fans different can get it to run a little warmer than 170* to a point. Using your a/c will run the fans all time and the car will take a bit longer to get warm in the winter. If you're running close to 18 psi on pump gas, I'd run the cooler thermostat. It lowers cylinder head temperatures quite a bit.

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Here is real world data on the 180* thermostat so you can see if it meets your overall objective: https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/180-degree-thermostat-option.1061516/

No downsides with this one. You should consider engine oil viscosity and your driving conditions with a cooler thermostat. I have been using Amsoil 0W-40 Signature Series for my application. At my power level, my tuner actually recommended keeping the OEM 192* thermostat, but neither he nor I have seen any issues with cold start transition to normal operating temp in my car.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
Leave it stock unless you operate in really high Temps.

Also you cannot adjust fans with the handheld on a 13-14.

They are variable speed and only the calibrator can adjust percentages of fan's speed at x temp

Sent from my SM-N950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread