17 Psi Of Boost

SM0KESH0W

Boostaholic
Established Member
4 is the safest way to go. Due to temperature changes boost can spike either direction. One day you could run 12 the next 15. So the lower you go, the less you are chancing the custom block ventilation mod.

ford_lightning

Established Member
Ok with the boost bypass i have 9and a half lbs of bost and it hits 10 when it shifts so ill have 13 and a half with the 4# pulley. If i undo the bypass and get the 6# pulley ill have an even 14. WHAT SHOULD I DO

SM0KESH0W

Boostaholic
Established Member
Stick with the 4 #. The 6 # pushes the limits of to many things. Also, YOU WILL NEED NEW PLUGS! Any added boost means added timing and/or spark.

SM0KESH0W

Boostaholic
Established Member
Why, because you are playing with fire scarecrow..

By that I mean, you are risking things by not changing plugs.
I am not saying that you can't do it. I am just saying why not play it safe and do things right and not have to worry about breaking. I have been there done that.. not fun or cheap..

Dale-01L

Established Member
Originally posted by SM0KESH0W
Stick with the 4 #. The 6 # pushes the limits of to many things. Also, YOU WILL NEED NEW PLUGS! Any added boost means added timing and/or spark.

Actually, more boost means LESS timing. Or detonaion will occur.

With the proper tune, you can run stock plugs..

I would just go for the 6# pulley.... I ran a 6# / 2.7upper for the longest time on my stock block with no problems.. before I switched to the built motor I ran a 8# lower / 2.8upper for a while just to see what she'd do...

Stock motor came out of hte truck running when I put the built motor in...

-Dale

SM0KESH0W

Boostaholic
Established Member
Dale,

What I meant was timing was going to be added to the list of things to be changed. After reading it, its not exactly what I said in the post. But it was what I meant.

And also, I have seen personally stock motors break with 10 miles on them on a stock tune. Stock rods suck bottom line. I wouldn't trust them with any more than 14 psi. That's the point I have been trying to make.

Whiner

Established Member
I've been running 14psi, Bassani full exhaust and CAI with Predator tune and 21deg timing. Truck made 405rwhp and 495rwtq on the stock plugs. It only has 3800 miles. It must be because the DSG's are the fastest!!!:-D

LIGHTNING LARRY

Retired
Super Moderator
Originally posted by Dale-01L
Actually, more boost means LESS timing. Or detonaion will occur.

With the proper tune, you can run stock plugs..

I would just go for the 6# pulley.... I ran a 6# / 2.7upper for the longest time on my stock block with no problems.. before I switched to the built motor I ran a 8# lower / 2.8upper for a while just to see what she'd do...

Stock motor came out of hte truck running when I put the built motor in...

-Dale

You were lucky Dale. Your motor is the exception, not the norm.

Whiner

Established Member
There's always an exception. For example I had a 97 GT that made 450 rwhp and 452rwtq with 19psi from a D-1SC on a completely stock longblock (non PI). It ran/raced for 2years, and still ran when I pulled it out. My friend's blew up after 3hrs of 10psi:shrug:

Blown347Hatch

so long
Originally posted by SM0KESH0W
Why, because you are playing with fire scarecrow..

By that I mean, you are risking things by not changing plugs.
I am not saying that you can't do it. I am just saying why not play it safe and do things right and not have to worry about breaking. I have been there done that.. not fun or cheap..

First of all, if you run conservative enough on timing, you don't have to change plugs. Secondly, staying out of detonation is the key point, which is what I believe I am doing. If I change plugs, I believe I could go with more timing. I also have a good ear for detonation, as I have been into the hobby of racing for years. Besides, JLP told me that these rods are hit-or-miss anyway, so if that's the case, there is no 100% sure way of something not happening. We can only hope with these motors. :rockon:

Originally posted by LIGHTNING LARRY
You were lucky Dale. Your motor is the exception, not the norm.

I ran a 6 lower and a 2.66 upper for about a year before I swapped mine too.

I wouldn't mess with the 8. The Eaton is pretty much done after an extra 4 psi, but with the 6 lower, you will gain some bottom end power, and loose some top end power.

A good tune is the key, and with that said, 17 psi, with a good tune, the right driver, and some good gas would be fine.
I have none of the above:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread