1600+RPM Idle. Wtf?

Serfma

Established Member
96 Cobra, 2.1KB just recently added. Long tubes, EGR deleted. Idle sits with an idle flag of "RPM Lockout" and sits at 1.4 vmaf. Using Quarterhorse + BinaryEditor for flashing. A previous tuner had me flash via TunerPro RT and it had a higher idle set for datalogging purposes (reach stabilized engine temp faster) and it almost seems like it has persisted through tunes.

I have verified I don't have a vacuum leak. I've caused a vacuum leak and idle does not raise, vmaf still sits at 1.4v.

I have replaced my idle air control valve. No changes. Unplugging changes nothing vs plugged up.

I have changed a few idle / dashpot settings in the tune, unless I missed the one that would affect idling down, none of them changed the characteristics any.

I sit in open loop for dialing in fueling but I have forced closed loop just to see: same thing.

It drives me insane because it will go up to 2000 at first (RPM adders I've noticed) then drop down after however many seconds / reaches X temp, but always to 1600.

CDAN4/LLX3

If anyone has any wisdom I'd love to hear it because I'm about to lose my mind. Lol

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
When you first start it too, or only after the car seems to have warmed up after driving it for a few minutes?
An IAC restrictor plate may help. Try a good search if you haven't heard of them.

Serfma

Established Member
When you first start it too, or only after the car seems to have warmed up after driving it for a few minutes?
An IAC restrictor plate may help. Try a good search if you haven't heard of them.
At all times. It will idle higher than usual, which is the typical characteristics it has: "idle high at warm or throttle blip, settle down after X seconds". Duty cycle seems to be at 17%, going to double triple check with smoke through the intake to make sure no vacuum leak.

Serfma

Established Member
Ok interesting. I replaced IAC, no go. Unplugging IAC changes it nothing at all. Setting duty cycle to 5% or 99% changes nothing at all. I get 12v at the sensor pigtail but reading 0 duty cycle %. PCM damaged perhaps? Pin 83 on the ECU.

Serfma

Established Member
Tapped into W/LB wire for IACV on ECU, 0% duty cycle. (red on + on connector, black on W/LB wire coming from ECU). Checking PCB and seeing nothing damaged, no schematics available it seems.

Serfma

Established Member
I need to delete this thread permanently because I went through a few IAC's and they were all bad except this last one. Oops.

jman37

Established Member
Was going to say, if your car does nothing with an IAC unplugged you pretty much answered your problem. Car should def die when unplugged.

adammdennis11

Established Member
Check this out!
Idle Air Control IAC Restrictor Plate Fit for Ford Mustang V8 V6 GT 4.6 5.0 3.8 1986 - 2004 https://a.co/d/5ffMT6f

Users who are viewing this thread