$1500 bucks Need Opinions

2001asp

Established Member
2001 cobra 50,000 miles, jlt cai and steeda udp.

Now in feb I get a RE-enlistment bonus and $1500 of it goes to my baby.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
I want exhaust (MAC S/S) and need new shocks(bilsteins or Tokico D-specs). While I was at it a was gonna finish and get the H&R Race springs and a set of C/C plates. Should I be looking at other mods first? I'm not going to be doing gears as this is my daily driver and I drive mostly on the H/W... AKA need the gas. New brakes will be later next year with Stangsuspension zinc rotors and hawk pads. I would also like to get a mid pipe and SCT tuner soon to. So many choices...also I will need a new clutch soon as this one is getting worn out. OK so please give me your recommendations:idea::idea::idea: thanks,,,,merry X-mas....

01SVTSnake

Thud Thud Thud Thud Thud
Established Member
MM Full Length Subframe Connectors, Tune, and gears. My mileage barely changed from 3.27 to 4.30s on the highway

Nazman

Established Member
Everyone will give you thier .02 cents! LOL! But the true is that you have to gear it to what you want.

This is what Ill recomend:

4.30 Gears ~200 bones, ~$300 bones install = ~$500 bones
Cat-Back of your choice ~$400 bones = ~$900 bones
H&R Super Sports Springs ~$200 bones + ~$1100 bones
Strange 10 Way Adjustable Struts/Shocks ~$330 bones = ~$1430 bones

All taking into consideration that you install everything but the gears.

Option 2:

4.30 Gears ~200 bones, ~$300 bones install = ~$500 bones
Cat-Back of your choice ~$400 bones = ~$900 bones
H&R Super Sport Springs ~$200 bones + ~$1100 bones
"Naz" Ported Intake ~PM for Details!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Its all about what YOU want.......!

Naz

2001asp

Established Member
Nazman dude, your like a legend....so what kind of gains do i get with the intake mani-ported and at what cost? Military discount? To me the gear thing is can also be later. I did have a nice kill a few weeks ago against an auto C-5 corvette and I like my upper end charge...I posted story under road kill and got flamed. Mazybe my lenths were to high or maybe I have a factory freak. I'm no liar, and I got to speak the the guy about it later the next day......so hit me up with a responce also do you have built ones ready to go ass I will need a car for work,,,,thanx,,Merry X-mas

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Everyone and their brother is going to recommend gears first. If it helps with your thoughts, when I had 4.10s and 509rwhp I did in fact get 21.72mpg running 70mph on an 11 hour road trip in my blown 99. It's all in how much you stay OUT of the throttle.

I am suprised no one mentioned full-length subframes. That should be the first thing on your list. Stiffen the chassis and the car will feel and perform much better.

My suggestions:

FLSFC
Catback
Shocks/Struts, Springs and 4 wheel alignment

Merry Christmas and thanks for serving!!!!!

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
Well, all these opinions are awesome, but you need the necessities first with a cobra! Mid pipe and cat back of our choice are what I would recommend. I like the UPR X and MAC catback. I read on Lethal's website that they no longer ship that black coated crap they originally had for IRS...so if they ship silver now, get the MAC. Springs are a must because no Stang riding tall looks "good". The MMFLSC are a great investment, they are my next mod after I replace my clutch.

So, exhaust, springs, and replace your clutch!! You can't drive your DD if your clutch goes, so that would make sense to me.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
do you want more power or better handling? I'd probably do the MM full length subframes, don't get the powdercoated ones cuz you will have to strip some of it off to weld them in and its a pain. After that its up to you. I would look around the classifieds on here. You will find IRS exhaust for sale by guys going solid axle. You could save some money right there. The gears are also a good start. Suspension will get costly when you get springs, caster/camber plates, shocks/struts and then an alignment. You may also need offset rack bushings which add a few $$$$.

DuffManRHA

The cake is not a lie.
Established Member
def the MMFLSFCs should be the first thing, along with some IRS bracing to make sure you dont destroy the rear end. Next would be midpipe and catback, and I can get the MAC one for your, just let me know which one! Those things plus labor if you don't want to do them yourself would put you at around $1000 which would leave some left for gears or springs + c/c plates, either one but not both.

Everyone is going to have their own recommendations so you aren't gonna get many common answers except SFCs first.

Eric

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Cat back, you need to sounds like a Mustang. Mid pipe, best seat of the pants dyno of my bolt ons. Shifter, I always thought it was a waste, till I got one, never go without it now. Shocks and springs, feels, and looks like a different car. This may put you just over 1500, buying new anyway. I think these are the basic essentials though. You only need cc plates of you can't get the alignment right. I haven't needed them with the Steeda sport springs.

2001asp

Established Member
Anyone rockin the Hurst shifter? It is the least expensive....I think. As far as set ups; I think I may go with the MRT H pipe, Mac S/S C/B,,and H&R Race springs w/ c/c plates. I may need just a bit more. DuffManRHA,,what kind of deal can you get on the MAC stainless steal? Its the only mac I would consider. I checked with mac and they want 499+shipping-military discount=$489 shipped. Can anyone do any better? The other choice would be the SLP L/M2 w/slp catted X.....both exhausts are about the same price,,which will make more proven power?

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
Hurst was great for 4 speeds, but I havn't heard anything good about the 5 speed stuff. I love my Pro 5.0. TSLPP will be louder than the MAC. Do yourself favor and listen to different exhausts. Get the one that sounds the best to you. They all make similar power, you really won't notice the difference in power. I still say don't waste your money on cc plates if you can get the alignment right without them.

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
1. Gears (4.10s or greater)
2. Mid Pipe and Cat Back
3. Shocks/Struts/Springs
4. Shifter (I use the UPR Blue thunder its closest to the Steeda Tri-ax)
5. Sub Frame Connectors, full lengths will be the best (and they are cheap)

vteckiller2000

Add Lightness
Established Member
I still say don't waste your money on cc plates if you can get the alignment right without them.

If you are lowering the car more than an inch, which is 95% of the Mustang crowd, I would highly recommend getting the MM CC plates. Take your hood off sometime and watch how much your strut rods flex when you throw the car into some hard corners. The MM CC plates positively locate the strut rods, and eliminate the flex, and resulting change of alignment settings in the front suspension. Another reason they are important on lowered cars, is that the loads on the strut are much higher due to the change in geometry from the lowered ride height, and put much more stress on the stock upper strut mounts and ball joints.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
hence the caveat about having a correct allignment. The strut tower brace will do more for the flex for less money.

CobraG

Established Member
2001 cobra 50,000 miles, jlt cai and steeda udp.

Now in feb I get a RE-enlistment bonus and $1500 of it goes to my baby.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
I want exhaust (MAC S/S) and need new shocks(bilsteins or Tokico D-specs). While I was at it a was gonna finish and get the H&R Race springs and a set of C/C plates. Should I be looking at other mods first? I'm not going to be doing gears as this is my daily driver and I drive mostly on the H/W... AKA need the gas. New brakes will be later next year with Stangsuspension zinc rotors and hawk pads. I would also like to get a mid pipe and SCT tuner soon to. So many choices...also I will need a new clutch soon as this one is getting worn out. OK so please give me your recommendations:idea::idea::idea: thanks,,,,merry X-mas....

What's your AFSC? Just curious, I'm a 3C0X1. Anyway, back on topic, gears aren't that bad, I was pulling 22 MPG before my Cobra broke and that's with 4.30's. I'm not sure any more when it comes to these cars, normally I'd say SCT but I don't know if that contributed to my problem. Maybe save for another car, the Challenger is coming out soon, that is one sweet looking car.

Users who are viewing this thread