14" GT500 Brembo Brakes -1994-2004

TT91

So Slow
Established Member
Hey guys, by now Im sure most of you have seen this thread- http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=897686

Well I have recieved lots of inquiry about the price and availablitily about the bracket and if and when they will be available.
I am please to finally announce that the first steps in manufacturing has begun and I would like to get a good feel for how
many sets to make in my first batch.

The original bracket looked like this-

Bracket.JPG

The bracket will now be a single piece made via CNC.

212867.jpg

212868.jpg

The bracket kit will come with stainless brake lines to adapt to you 1996-2004 mustang.
This is a picture of the brake lines on my car, but the ones supplied with the kit probably wont have the blue rubber covering.

Brakeline.JPG

I ended up paying $100 each from ford for brand new rotors.
You may or may not know someone to save you some cash, or locate them somewhere else for less.

Rotor.JPG

However the only downside, or upside if you already have them, it the need to now use 18" wheels.

Bling.JPG

The cost of the kit, which will include the bracket, mounting hardware, and two stainless brake lines, will be no more than $250.

Calipers can be found on ebay all day long, or from your local ford dealer for about $2000 less then it would cost you from Brembo to buy their kit.

If using a 14" Grand Turismo Brembo kit, price would be around $3200 from just about any mustang retailer.

With my kit you can save a total of....

Calipers-$1100 From Ford(I have bought two pairs off ebay so far, spent 800 total).
Bracket kit-$250
Rotors- $200
Total- $1550 for a 14" Brembo Brake upgrade!!

This kit uitilizes one of the stock brake mouting holes on your current spindle. The lower ear of the spindle needs to be removed in order to make clearance for the larger caliper. Once the ear has been removed, you install the rotor, bracket and caliper on the spindle and use the new lower brake bracket hole as a guide for the properly sized drill bit. This will render you spindle useless if you need to switch back to stock brakes. Luckily, spindles are a dime a dozen for our cars.

Please PM me, or for the sake of everyone else, if you have a question, post it here and lets get the first order underway!

Last edited:

TT91

So Slow
Established Member
what are you doin in the rear to counteract this?
or maybe a proportioning valve or something?

Counteract what? I assume your saying that using these on a new edge car will surely cause your rear end to lauch into the air the moment you step on the brakes due to the newly aquired front braking torque...But I assure you, I put many many track miles on this car w/ this setup and never once had a problem. But, for someone yo wantto install 14" brakes on their car, I would assume they have a need for them, and in such install supporting mods to the rest of the suspension and braking system(larger rear[cobra] rotors, high temp braking fluid, ect ect ect). However for normal street use wouldnt warrant the need for these due to speed limitations.

I myself ALSO installed 4 piston 2000 Cobra R Brembos on the rear of my solid axle 01 Saleen, and STILL have proper pedal actuation and a newly aquired feeling of confidence in my braking system.

To answer your question, NO, no braking bias valve is needed. Our cars(most cars) relies 75% upon the front brakes to slow the car down.

Fast99Snake

IRS'd GT
Established Member
what I meant was what kind of brakes in the rear would be necessary to work well with these
it would be like putting some ridiculously stiff coilovers on front and leave the rear suspension stock seems to be what your saying
leaving rear brakes stock and put some crazy shit on the front?
like putting the 2000r calipers on the rear and this on the front, now that sounds like a good idea, we would just need an adapter plate in the rear to do that

TT91

So Slow
Established Member
what I meant was what kind of brakes in the rear would be necessary to work well with these
it would be like putting some ridiculously stiff coilovers on front and leave the rear suspension stock seems to be what your saying
leaving rear brakes stock and put some crazy shit on the front?
like putting the 2000r calipers on the rear and this on the front, now that sounds like a good idea, we would just need an adapter plate in the rear to do that

14" front brakes are currently available for our cars from brands such as stoptech, brembo, wilwood, AP Racing, FORD.....and none of them come with any type of rear brake components. Im not reinventing the wheel, just making it more affordable. Like I said, I would upgrade to the larger cobra vented rotor.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
After putting the Brembo 14" Gran Turismo kit on my R I experienced no ill effects from braking. And I brake pretty damn hard. Front brakes do a majority of the stopping power anyway so it's not as big of a deal that some would make it out to be. The 14" front brakes was one of the best, most cost effective mods I've done. It's saved me a TON of $$$$ in pad and rotor usage.

I am actually working on a 13" rear brake conversion for Cobras it's just been a real slow go lately. I've got most of the hard stuff worked out. I can't tell you when a target date is for completion because I have no clue. :(

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
Counteract what? I assume your saying that using these on a new edge car will surely cause your rear end to lauch into the air the moment you step on the brakes due to the newly aquired front braking torque...But I assure you, I put many many track miles on this car w/ this setup and never once had a problem. But, for someone yo wantto install 14" brakes on their car, I would assume they have a need for them, and in such install supporting mods to the rest of the suspension and braking system(larger rear[cobra] rotors, high temp braking fluid, ect ect ect). However for normal street use wouldnt warrant the need for these due to speed limitations.

I myself ALSO installed 4 piston 2000 Cobra R Brembos on the rear of my solid axle 01 Saleen, and STILL have proper pedal actuation and a newly aquired feeling of confidence in my braking system.

To answer your question, NO, no braking bias valve is needed. Our cars(most cars) relies 75% upon the front brakes to slow the car down.

can you post pics of the cobra r rear brakes?

Todd TCE

Established Member
Not a bad plan if you want to do the "ebay thing" but for about $150 more I can put you into a new Wilwood kit with two piece, directional vane rotors. And a more wheel friendly design caliper fit.

I'm also a bit leery of the under $250 pair of brackets. Unless you plan to do this pro-bono, making that bracket from billet alum in any small qty is going to run you $125ea to produce. That set (two brackets, not universal fit) in finished form, low production, anodized and with the proper hardware is a $350-375pkg. If you're going to produce them you best make some money on them.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Not a bad plan if you want to do the "ebay thing" but for about $150 more I can put you into a new Wilwood kit with two piece, directional vane rotors. And a more wheel friendly design caliper fit.

I'm also a bit leery of the under $250 pair of brackets. Unless you plan to do this pro-bono, making that bracket from billet alum in any small qty is going to run you $125ea to produce. That set (two brackets, not universal fit) in finished form, low production, anodized and with the proper hardware is a $350-375pkg. If you're going to produce them you best make some money on them.

I'm sure he doesn't plan on making the brackets from aluminum?!?! :dw:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Mike:

What did you have to do for a bracket in the rear to get that Brembo four pot to mount there?

IMHO that's a little too much brake for back there, but I'm kind of curious what you did. Not to mention that heavy ass rotor back there! :(

TT91

So Slow
Established Member
Mike:

What did you have to do for a bracket in the rear to get that Brembo four pot to mount there?

IMHO that's a little too much brake for back there, but I'm kind of curious what you did. Not to mention that heavy ass rotor back there! :(

Bruce, If I told you that....I would have to kill you.

The brembos in the rear literally took me about 4 hours for both sides. No E-brake tho. Im about to sell the car, and the owner wants the stock brakes returned on it, so they will be getting removed(I get to keep the gt500 brembos).

The only time I have ever had a problem which would indicate too much rear brake was in the rain at watkins glen...other than that the car stops on a freakin dime.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Bruce, If I told you that....I would have to kill you.

The brembos in the rear literally took me about 4 hours for both sides. No E-brake tho. Im about to sell the car, and the owner wants the stock brakes returned on it, so they will be getting removed(I get to keep the gt500 brembos).

The only time I have ever had a problem which would indicate too much rear brake was in the rain at watkins glen...other than that the car stops on a freakin dime.

Yeah, I'll bet you can make your passenger's noses bleed with those brakes if you wanted to! :-D

That's a little too much rotating mass for me! ;-):poke:

Todd TCE

Established Member
I'm sure he doesn't plan on making the brackets from aluminum?!?! :dw:

Hmm. That would make the final production cost even higher. Producing that from a block of stainless or 4130 etc will add a lot to the mill time. No beef about it, I'm just curious to see if you can really produce and sell them at $250pr without some serious investment in qty.

But hey, I'm driving your price UP here not down so I don't expect a lot of support from others! :p I learned long ago; never quote a price until you have some real hard core data to work from, most best guesses are usually well under what I'd hoped for.

Users who are viewing this thread